Cold Shower Tinnitus Experiment

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Feb 3, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have read on the support forum where some have their tinnitus affected by taking a shower.

However, I imagine most of the time, people are taking hot or warm showers. My question is, what will happen during a cold shower? I am pretty sure a cold shower affects different hormones and other functions in the body.

I tried it this morning and I started breathing much faster. The cold water was a shock to my system after I had the hot water on. I don't think it affected my tinnitus much but this morning it wasn't that bad.

I'm wondering if anyone else would be willing to try this and report back.

2. davidamee86
      Breezy

davidamee86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Road Accident
      Hi, I was curious about this too. I have been having cold showers for the last week just to see what would happen. My tinnitus is really affected by it. It changes tone quite drastically but I wouldn't call it a spike. So something definitely happens in the auditory cortex part of the brain. People say tinnitus and depression are linked and cold showers are proven to be as affective as anti depressants so in my opinion there is something in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Nikopol

Nikopol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (sinuses, stress or cervical...doc opinions differ)
      If the problem is at your neck and muscles exhibiting pressure on your cervical system, environmental changes of hot/cold shower can also have effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. light rain

light rain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Never tested it for tinnitus but I use ice at the back of my neck and temples for migraines. So besides muscles, it might affect blood vessels too.

5. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      One thing which helps me from time to time is a hot shower.

6. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Shower doesn't helped me at all, but a cherry pit pillow did on the early Days. Now it's useless. :(

7. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Cold showers is something that I have heard Julian Cowan Hill and Liam Boehm talk about.

I am not sure if this should be a daily thing? If so how long under cold water?

Can you warm yourself up afterwards by turning up the hot water or do you need to keep it cold from go to woe. Thanks.

8. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      I finish with a cold shower daily. I can’t say for sure that it helps. Some days I swear it does and some days not so much. I don’t think this is much of a solution though.

• Agree Agree x 1