Cold Sweets — Impulse Noise Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hi all,

I had a really sweet tooth today so I took a couple of bites on a cold chocolate that I found. I liked it at first but then when I plugged my ears and chewed on it again, it felt like a short loud blast just took place in my mouth.

It's the oral cavity which is pretty close to your ears so could this experience be equivalent to being exposed to a loud impulse noise? I don't know. Is this something to worry about?

Thank you!

Cheers,

J

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      No

• Like Like x 1
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      of course not

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Straight to the point. Thanks, guys!

Though, just think about it for a second. I read somewhere on here that a crunchy food is a no no for us now. This was a semi-frozen, let's just say a cold chocolate. You chew on it with your second molars that are very close to your middle and inner ear, the nerves too. When I plugged my ears and did my thing in order to break that chocholate piece in my mouth it felt near like breaking the sound barrier noise in my ears (a VERY loud sound).

I could be over thinking it but I'm sure you understand.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes you are overthinking it, and yes I understand.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I can see your "jaded" status. Still, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to reply.

I got a noise-induced damage t, you know and this just felt very loud hence why the worries...

7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Why did you plug your ears? Eating anything with earplugs is annoying because of the the internal sound.

In addition to eating, a lot of things internally make a lot of noise. Even moving facial muscles to smile or frown creates internal noise.

I had an EMG this year and was actually surprised by how even the slightest muscle movement made a noise like rumbling thunder.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Like I said, I understand. You don't have to justify your worry.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Survival instincts kicked in I guess so I plugged my ears with fingers to guesstimate the noise levels. In an instant I realized it's actually right there, like 2 - 3 cm away from the auditory system (normally I'd use a sound meter or the inverse square law to calculate the impact).

Then when it feels like a sonic boom or someone setting off explosives in your left ear, you just fall prey to panic.

I had 2 very loud and busy past days, then this. I've got literally 0 idea if this could be dangerous or not?

Now when my T. appears to be getting louder I set up this thread and hopefully one day, when someone has the same issue will find the answers here.

P.S.: I saw Maleficent with my little cousin last week. The one with Angelina Jolie. With all those fairies around it reminded me of you.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Awe, thanks. I think, I cannot remember if the fairies were nice or evil. :LOL:

I can understand the worries. It’s so easy to slip into them, but I have to say I think your posts have been more upbeat lately. Hope you’re doing well!

When I had an EMG, I was startled by how loud the muscle movements were. Then I recalled reading how a fetus can hear the mother’s internal sounds in utero. Sounds like blood rushing through veins, digestion, and the mother’s heartbeat, which is thought to be about as loud as a vacuum cleaner (though amniotic fluid muffled the noise). All day, every day our bodies are making plenty of loud noises and yet they do not damage our hearing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I think this was the best v. of that fairy tale I've seen yet cuz even the evil Angelina turned out to be nice. She was just miffed that one guy dumped her in order to become a king, took her wings away and she didn't get her invitation to a party. No more spoilers so you can watch it now too loll

More upbeat? Ah well, I wish that was true. I try to stay optimistic but you know 5 months in I developed a lovely 'H' on top of my 'T' so I just stick around, read the research news and give hope wherever possible.. I just lost mine.

That's pretty interesting. The fetus has either normal, healthy ears or more likely no ears yet? Either way if the noises the fetus is exposed to are ≥ 85 dB(A) under the 8 hrs exposure limit than it should be fine (according to OSHA).

I get startled by even moderate noises since I keep hearing all the time our ears are compromised now, especially in the case of those who got a noice-induced T, that the noise damage is cumulative, then you hear about permanent spikes, new tones and pitches, severe T's you get stuck with, end of relationships, and even worse... and all we've got are some psycho therapies. It's like you break your leg and they give you a bruise gel for that.