Concert Tonight. Need Support :(

Discussion in 'Support' started by st0rch, Oct 24, 2016.

1. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am going to see Tool tonight in a pretty big stadium venue. Before I begin, I know the risks of this, making my tinnitus worse would be devastating. However, the existential depression I've experienced from not being able to live my life or do the things I want to do has been weighing on me so heavily that I'm not sure this is a life I really want to live.

So I'm going to try. I purchased some expensive musicians plugs, and then opted for some heavy duty foam ones instead. I am prepared to leave if I feel like I can't tolerate the levels. I plan on taking breaks every 30 minutes or so. I know most of this is probably anxiety, as I'm able to go into bars and listen to music relatively loud in my car (I'm sure it will be much louder at the concert, but hopefully the plugs are suitable).

Anyone that can offer some support... that has tinnitus and still attends concerts, it would mean a lot to me in calming my anxiety. Not everyone feels the way I do about concerts and I understand why someone would choose to just not go, but music is a huge part of my life that I feel empty without it, and just depressed that I'm not in control of my life.

Thanks for anyone who responds.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Weaveslash

Weaveslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced
      since i have most likely a noise induced tinnitus, i was also scared to go to concerts at first. But as time progressed and i noticed it didn't change anything, i really don't take notice of it anymore. the most important thing is still having good ear protection (min -25-30 dB)

It will feel loud because of aniexy, but the levels will be safe because of the earplugs. Maybe look up on an mobileapp what the current dB is so you can feel better. I wouldn't stay near a speaker tho.

The most important thing is to use the plugs correctly. I see alot, and by alot i mean really alot of people on festivals which use earplugs completly wrong. The foam ones need to be completely inside the ear (or like 80%). If they are just pushed in and are visible, it is wrong.

Example:
      Fitting Foam Earplugs

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

Thank you. I really needed to hear this. The plugs I purchased have an NRR rating of 29DB, and some foam ones just in case. And you are absolutely right, when I get anxious about it, it's so much worse, and even if it didn't make my tinnitus worse, I definitely notice the tinnitus for a couple days.

Also, thank you for the good advice, I'll make sure they are inserted correctly. Have you gone to pretty loud concerts without making your T worse? Mine is noise induced as well, I got it at an EXTREMELY loud concert, and after the concert I listened to music in my car super loud. I'm not surprised I got tinnitus, I'm just bummed I wasn't educated about it or didn't fully understand how easy it was to damage your ears.

Thanks again for the responses.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I know how you feel, I can't listen too music now as it all sounds distorted :(

I wanted too go to see guns n roses during their eu tour in 2017 but that's not going to happen now.

I miss music so much, I never used earphones, but now all I want too do is go for a relaxing walk in the park with my earphones :(

I actually get jealous of people walking about with headphones now.

So... should you go to the concert?? If you can hear the music then I say go, even if your t gets worse well at least you have the memories. Not great advice but if music didn't sound like a broken grinder too me I would be there too.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The first year I had T I was unable to use headphones and my H was so bad that the music would fluctuate up and down and was pretty terrible. This almost completely subsided the second year, and headphones are not an issue anymore. In time, I'm sure this will change for you too.

6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Good luck... I like Tool too but could never imagine going to a concert now. Can you bring muffs and earplugs, and only put the muffs on if it gets too loud for you?

I know we aren't going to talk you out of it, let us know how it goes.

My favorite song:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Do headphones not make your t ring like mad? Even just going to they gym with music on on the background makes my t go mental for about 45 mins after :(

I can deal with the ringing. It's everything else that goes with it that's killing me.

Balance issues.

Social life distorted as I can't go too slightly loud places.

Distortion.

Kicked in feeling in both ears.

8. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Lateralus is prob my fav....hope they played that...how did the concert go man?

9. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Alue @Jomo

Can you guys reccomend me some tracks to start off with with Tool? They are one the bands i never got into but would like to try.

10. NancyL
      Fine

NancyL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Workplace noise
      Let us know how it went, and how you are feeling today!

11. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      the albums are best as a continuous listen. Parabola was always a fav of mine though

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

I like the oldschool tool best. Ænima, Forty-Six & 2 is another good song off it.

13. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      At a big stadium I think there is not as big risk as in smaller hall. With foam plugs should be no problem.

So - how was the show?

14. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Im assuming since he hasnt come back posting in a panic that its worse i think he is doing good lol

@Sam Bridge

back to the albums i like Aenima and Lateralus the most...the album after that was a downer...wasnt so good but there is some good stuff on the albums i mentioned.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      First off, thanks to everyone who posted. You are all great, and this is exactly the support I needed.

The concert was LOUD. Far louder than the one that gave me tinnitus in the first place. I didn't get the courage to use my musicians earplugs, as I'm sure it would be something I would have to work up to. The foam ones, however, were absolutely perfect. It was about two hours long, and I walked out feeling better than I did when I came in. It would be an understatement to say that this was a huge step to getting over the depression and anxiety and dread that tinnitus brought with it.

I'll be taking it easy with the concerts, but I hope this at least gives hope to some of those that feel like they are in the deepest, darkest hole like I was for almost two years.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      That's awesome man. Did the T increase at all after the concert??

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They absolutely used to. When I first got tinnitus, everything was off balance. Left and right loudness shifted while I was listening to music, and sounded muffled. This made me so angry and sad at the same time.

It took me two years to get the courage to even go to a party with people talking around me. Tinnitus kept me up every single night, started taking benzo's just to get to sleep.

My tinnitus is almost like the really annoying static you hear on old CRT tv's. Super unpredictable, very high pitch, very intrusive and able to be heard over most other sounds. In fact, I was unable to mask it with anything but white noise. Listening to music, not even just on headphones, would cause it to fluctuate up and down in pitch and loudness for a very long time.

This is a disease of the brain, and while not everything is known about it, you need to acknowledge that anxiety about it is going to be a HUGE factor in how it sounds, and getting over it. I still have tinnitus, but NONE of the above symptoms are there anymore. It only slightly annoys me sometimes, and only when I really pay attention to it. You will start having nights where you wake up wondering "did I even think about my tinnitus last night?" - (I know you probably go to sleep at night depressed that it's not "quiet" and wondering what it used to be like to sleep at night and just relax) It comes back.

I am also dealing with lyme disease, death of my brother, and a really broken family, so it took me a long time to really habituate. But I know it's possible. It could also improve a lot in the first TWO years. You will still have a good life, but it might take a while to adjust.

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No, actually! I think it flared before the concert more than it did after, haha. There is absolutely no noticeable impact, and it's been about 4 days.

Of course, without the plugs I dont know if I'd say the same, but at this point I don't even care. The music still sounded good. I still was being a "normal person" without a chronic condition for a night haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      The way I see tinnitus and my other issues isn't as a disease of the brain but mechanical damage too components in the inner ear that cannot communicate correctly too the brain as I am an engineer.
      My issues are all noise induced. You are right it is very difficult and everyone on here is in a similar boat sadly.

20. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Did you check the sound lever at the concert even with a smart phone app??

Good stuff, well if I can keep my gun out of my mouth then maybe I could go see guns n roses next year after all with good plugs :)

Things like this give me hope :)

I have also been feeling a little better in the last couple weeks or so mostly due to an odd change in clarity with my hearing. I'm 5 months with noise induced T now and it's seems things do heal too an extent over time even with inner ear issues. Music isn't sounding just as broken which I was over joyed with last Sunday when I could actually enjoy a track or two :)

• Like Like x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No, I agree with you. The source & cause is the ear. But there have been incidences where people have had their nerves to the brain completely cut and still suffered from tinnitus. The misfiring is in the brain, and I would not be surprised if anxiety & brain chemicals play a HUGE part in habituation and helping quiet the noise.

I know there are posts all over this site about this, so I won't derail, but like you said, it makes more sense that it's just a "bent" hair/nerve in your ear relaying signals that it shouldn't. Much like phantom limb syndrome persisting with no actual limb, I think our best shot at personal therapy is focusing on the mind, as none of us have the tools to regrow our ear hairs (Yet!). Obviously, it's not going to make it go away. My tinnitus is still definitely here... but I no longer feel like my life isn't worth living anymore, so there's that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

I know how you feel, exactly. My Hyperacusis was pretty terrible, which was equally as scary as the tinnitus at first. That part, definitely did heal. I'm not sure how, and it took a pretty long time... but the tinnitus (and being slightly more deaf in the ear that I got it in) are what stayed.

It peaked far above 110 DB, i'm sure. I don't know how reliable the smartphone app is for my iphone, as I don't know how much of the sound gets through, but I did use one. It was LOUD, very loud. I was comfortable in the ear plugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      My tinnitus is still definitely here... but I no longer feel like my life isn't worth living anymore, so there's that.

Ya know, @st0rch, I wouldn't have advised that you go to this concert. But have to say, there is something very empowering about doing something once again that you love -- and that you thought you would have to give up forever due to tinnitus. I felt that way the first time I took an airplane flight after getting my tinnitus, which was due to barotrauma during a plane trip. I thought I would never be able to travel by air again. I felt like an eagle, soaring through the sky, on my first post-T flight.

So I am glad it worked out for you. But be careful!

24. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      First month of T I flew 14 hours from the uk to Thailand and back again. 6 take offs and landings.

25. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    26. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      st0rch
      i think you are one of those person from here i admire the most,
      im glad you had a great time...
      i cant totally relate to you some how ive been having severe family problems (not as tough as yours)
      had a 2 year relationship break up, crashed my car, changed my job and now thiss (tinnitus or endolymphatic problem) i was like wow this is the cherry on top of the cake.

but just as you said...you will still have a good life.
      im still in the process.

what kind of earplugs did you used?
      i wanna go back to concerts or parties
      any advice?

27. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Mario, i'd say without doubt that custom musician plugs are the way to go. They cost a lot more, but you can't put a price on the safety and convenience they provide; as well as your own happiness.

I personally use the ACS pro range. I have 3 different filters (10db, 17db and a 26db), and I also have a blanking plate which totally seals it to around 30db.

I would recommend these through experience of using them. The other well known brands would be Etymotic, Westone and Starkey.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Thank you Ed!!
      im gonna try to buy these :D
      right now i have a party, i think im gonna use foam ones.