Concerts and Loud Shows with Earplugs — How Safe Are They with 32 dB NRR Custom Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brooklyn NY, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I would like some opinions regarding how effective custom ear plugs would be if I decided to attend loud public events. The ear plugs are 32 dB. Thank you.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The quotes below are not opinions, they are experiences

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The dB that say they protect in theory is not the same in practice, you have to apply a formula.

4. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      There are two formulas to calculate the effectiveness of the protector.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Thank you very much for all your replies. This is certainly a grim situation indeed. I used to love going to sporting events and the occasional show, but that is all down the drain unfortunately. I suspected as much, but considering any odd stray sound affects my ears, I’m not surprised. I have been avoiding these for the past year, and will continue to...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Unfortunately, no hearing protection is fully effective. Basically, if you play with fire, sooner or later you will get burnt. Would you want to stand behind bulletproof glass while being shot at?

Best to avoid these situations that are so ridiculously loud. Thankfully most of it is on TV and have some control over the volume.

7. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Since @Bill Bauer quoted me, I might as well reply myself. :) I'd say that it depends on what kind of "loud public event" you're talking about.

Ear plugs can give you a false sense of security.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      While earplugs will offer some protection at concerts and clubs. Please be aware they are not 100% safe. If external sound is loud enough it will pass through your head/skull and be transferred to your inner ear by "bone conduction" this can irritate the cochlea and cause a tinnitus spike, that can result in increasing your tinnitus permanently to a new level. Please read the post below written by a member who is an Audio engineer.

Hi!
      I'm an audio engineer and now have T. I hate to have to tell you this but there are no earplugs that can protect you in the typical nightclub environment. The best protection will only lower the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) by about 30 db. Assuming the sound is typical, it's going to hover around 105 db A when measured using long term averaging, slow response on a meter. This means there will be peaks well in excess of 120 db"A" weighted. Weighting the scales of measurement on the sound meter gives more accurate readings. "A" weighting approximates what your eardrum is sensitive to... meaning sound with the deep bass filtered out. "C" weighting includes the bass and is generally 15-30 db higher than an "A" reading.

So, 105 db A (typical nightclub or major concert translates into 130 db "C" or more including the bass. How long do people generally stay in the average nightclub? Too long! 4 hour stay is average. A concert is generally 2.5 hours. Many people will stay in the club all night until they are "OK" to drive and be back in public LMAO. The drugs people do screws up their judgement and desensitizes them to physical sensation and people damage themselves without realizing it.

Sound levels pretty much everywhere are TOO loud IMO. Instead of the industry standard 105 db A (Live Nation SPL cap) I like to keep it at 96-98 for people. Why so loud? Above 96 db the fight or flight response begins to kick in and you get that rush of excitement you get at a concert. It's a lot of what people pay for. Deep bass goes in through bone transconductance. You don't "hear" it with your eardrum you feel it This is how it is possible to have bass with headphones. If this transconductance did not occur, the long wavelengths that make bass would not have enough distance to unfold when using headphones. So, earplugs DO NOT protect you from low frequency damage. Not even a little bit.

So, on the one hand, you're going to have 100db + peaks getting through your earplugs in the range above 100 Hz (low note on a 4 string bass guitar is 41.7 Hz) and the bass below will pressurize your cochlea like nothing is even there, straight through the bone. Some of the subwoofer arrays I have installed in places must have security grating around them to keep people from getting within ten feet of the subwoofer array because the array produces well over 150 db down at 35Hz at 1 meter distance and would make them nauseous or in some extreme cases even worse than that.

I can say this definitively from direct personal and professional experience. If you value your hearing and do not want your tinnitus to increase, avoid these places or if you must go limit your exposure considerably.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Sven how are you feeling, these days? Has that spike ever settled?

11. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi. Thanks for asking. I can't say it did, but I guess I re-habituated (again) and it no longer causes anxiety, even though I do think about the noise (beep) quite often.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I wore double protection for my last loud concert in 2009. I first put in my foam (pink) plugs for 33 dB of protection. Then over the foam, I put in Mack's silicone putty plugs for another 22 dB. Total 55 dB of protection and no spike in my T afterward. Was it enjoyable? Only for the visual. :)

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      When you use double protection, the total noise reduction is the maximum noise reduction of the two plus 5. So it was at most 38 dB of protection.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've gone to a number of concerts in the decade since my tinnitus got worse, and will probably go to one next month -- no problems for me, though, there are certainly shows that I tolerated in my youth that I would just walk out of now, earplugs or not.

It really depends on the show. Is it a laid back rock band in a venue with a double high ceiling and a reasonable audio engineer, keeping average volumes in the 85-90db range with occasional spikes to 95? You're almost certainly fine with earplugs. Is it an insane EDM bass show in a basement club with average volumes in the 110-120 range with spikes to 130? That's probably not safe for anyone.

The audio estimates in the engineer's story from @Michael Leigh 's post above are much higher than what I've clocked at actual shows with a dB meter over the last few years, but that just speaks to the variation in venues and kinds of events. Your average indie rock show in a midsize venue (or even better, outdoors) is not going to have sustained 100db volumes unless you're standing right next to a speaker. But, a Skrillex show in a concrete basement? It might!

The last show I went to (The Mountain Goats, yay for goats) was basically the same volume as when we saw one of the recent Star Wars movies in a normal theater. The next show I'm likely to go to is Kurt Vile, who himself has tinnitus badly enough to have written music about it, so you'd assume he hires reasonable audio techs, but time will tell...

I don't know much about sporting events but I have read some things which lead me to believe that large, fully packed football stadiums may be as loud or louder than the typical concert. In practice I've only gone to basketball, hockey and baseball games, all of which have been fine with earplugs.

tl;dr the safest thing to do is to just not go to concerts, but also the safest thing to do is basically never leave your house or ride in cars or drive motorcycles, so you have to figure out which of these things are worth rolling the dice and which are not.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Same here and I actually trained in sound engineering as well. There are a lot of assumptions and generalisations in that post that do not apply to all situations, and as you correctly pointed out, he is on the upper end of the spectrum.

Talking of sport, the loudest premier league game (in the UK) at the point of this being published was 85dB.

F74DDEE0-D1F9-43D8-8DB7-ABDE0EC8BFF4.jpeg

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...wolves-fans-loudest-in-premier-league-so-far/

For bone conduction to be an issue, one would have to be in an extremely loud and damaging environment. From my experience, this is quite rare and is more an exception rather than it being commonplace. Gigs have always been louder than clubs for me, and there’s no way I’d say an average club is 105dB. That’s crazy loud for a club, and is more like gig territory.

Cinemas are relatively quiet compared to clubs and gigs (all the ones I’ve visited, at least). You can expect dialogue scenes in the 60dB range, dramatic scenes in the 70dB range, and action scenes in the 80dB range. If you measured the Leq (or weighted average) for an entire action movie, it would likely be somewhere in the 70dB range, and a drama would probably be somewhere between the 60 and 70 decibel range.

• Like Like x 3
    16. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I wore plugs at the game from where my profile pic is and I wear plugs at ice hockey games as well. I bring them to the movies, but the plugs make me enjoy movies much less, so I tend to watch movies at home on Blu-Ray instead of going to the cinema.

Also, we're all not equally sensitive, but once the T strikes, it strikes. And already damaged ears are probably more sensitive than healthy.

• Useful Useful x 1
    17. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I've avoided movie theaters, sporting events and rock concerts since I got tinnitus a year or so ago. Sporting events and rock concerts can get up to a sustained 130 decibels. It's just not worth the risk. The loudest thing I do is mow my lawn, which is about 90-100 decibels, I've also taken a flight which was nearly as loud. For situations like those, I use 30+ decibel shooting range ear-muffs. You basically have head-gear on, but you don't have to worry about your ear-plugs not being in correctly. For restaurants, I use those standard orange ear plugs (from 3M), but if it gets loud, I leave. I haven't busted out the shooting range ear-muffs at a restaurant yet, but I might try that for laughs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      It´s too risky. And after all you can´t really enjoy the concert / loud event thinking about decibels and monitoring your tinnitus.

Mine got worse after a concert with plugs.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is in the realm of the worlds loudest ever events though (other than natural disasters like Krakatoa). It’s not a very common occurrence at all. The average rock show is around about 105dB. Nightclubs on average are around 90dB and cinemas are about 70dB - 80dB (with the peaks being in the 80’s rather than the entire movie). The loudest football game in the UK this season measured 85dB (weighted average for the game). Most games were below 80dB.

sporting events tend to be nowhere near this level unless they are attempting one of those stupid world records for crowd noise.

I wear my -10dB filters at the cinema as a precaution, and if a band is playing in a bar I’m at I wear my -26dB filters. If someone invites me somewhere that has the potential to go insanely loud, or if I get caught out in an environment that goes insanely loud, I’d decline the invitation or leave. Thankfully, this very rarely happens as most places don’t come close. The ones to watch out for more than anything are concerts (especially those in acoustically reflective environments).

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    20. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      A lot of domed stadiums in the United States can get pretty loud. I had the opportunity to go to a game in the Superdome (New Orleans, LA, USA) this year, and turned it down. I think last week when the opposing team was on offense, the decibel meter at that stadium hit 120/130. Crowds at American Football games make as much noise as possible to disrupt the opposing team's offense. It's a bit crazy here (on a lot of levels right now).

Metal shows (I'm guessing) are louder than this.

Anyway, point taken... most people won't encounter decibels at that level at every-day events.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for letting us know. If the above is true, it proves that many people with T have ears that have been so compromised, that even noises in the 80 dB range can cause their T to spike (sometimes permanently). I am saying this because a number of people got seriously hurt after being to movie theaters (and had posted about it here). The implication is that people need to be even more careful... Whatever you do, try to stay away from any noise above 80 dB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is why I wear plugs as a precaution in the cinema. However, avoiding anything above 80dB in everyday life is practically impossible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can't avoid it, but you can do what you can to minimize the total exposure time...

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      They're very effective. I go to concerts all the time and have never had a spike so long as I wore my earplugs. The only thing that causes long term spikes for me is getting sick.

Obviously stand in the back, and take breaks. Unless your favorite song is on go outside every time one of your friends goes for a smoke, even if you don't. Be the guy that keeps someone company on the beer line.

As a musician a lot of my friends have tinnitus and none of them stopped going out - they just got smarter about it.

YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    25. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      https://www.today.com/health/loud-movies-some-theaters-could-damage-your-hearing-experts-say-t104666

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-worl...getting-too-loud_20180403062525543/1096264371

Movies are loud and getting louder, to make them more exciting, and compete better against watching it at home. Look at the above links which show that movies with audio in the 90 db's and even higher have been easily found.

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I can only talk from experience. I’ve been to cinemas in the US and I’ve easily seen around 500 films or more at various cinemas around the UK. Since my tinnitus reached a new level in 2015, I measured various movies with a sound meter, all were none IMAX theatres. The highest I’ve ever recorded is a few low 90dB peaks, but they were very very rare. The average level of noise in all the movies I’ve been to (since 2015) has been nothing to really speak of compared to clubs and concerts. It’s not what I’d consider imminently dangerous.

I have no doubt in some countries, or rogue cinemas, you may find obnoxiously loud movies. All I can say is that I haven’t (none IMAX measurements). However, I still take my lowest-filtered, custom plugs, to the cinema nowadays.

27. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I have no idea how loud a domed stadium is as I’ve never been in one, but premier league games are loud as far as sporting events go. British fans chant songs and make noise all through the games.

Slipknot, for example, limits their shows to 107dB, and that would be at the front near the speakers. I think the trend at rock shows is coming down in volume and the crazy days of playing at 130dB and having plaster falling off the walls is mainly a thing of the past.

28. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Really? Wow I didn't know that...

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017