Confused About Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Keith D Mitchell, Nov 8, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Hello Again my fellew people,

So I went to see my GP last Thursday and he prescribed me some Amoxcillian, as he stated I had a mild ear infection. So I've been taking 875 mg of it 2x a day, in addition to calicum, b-12 and lipofalavonoid. He stated that the ringing may be an effect of the infection and hopefully the ringing will stop / get better as I continue taking the antibiotics.

So far I've been sleeping with no need for meds, which is great.

Since I've had my initial episode, the ringing has gone from a loud pitch, to a slight lower pitch, a hum, and finally ticking. My right ear cracks when I swallow as well. Sadly, either I'm going crazy or it seems / sounds like my Left Ear is now being affected, T doesn't simply spread like that, does it?

The GP suggested it was a ear infection as I mentioned that this came on suddenly and I explained the feeling of fullnes , liquid in my ear sensation, ringing, and the fevers. So I'll just keep taking the meds and hoping. However my issue is if the GP saw signs of an ear infection, why didn't the ENT when I went to see them? I explained the same thing to them, shouldn't the outcome have been the same.

I actually have another appointment with ENT this week as well, hoping they see the same thing. Is it normal for ear infections to be diagnosed as T and vice versa? Anyone experience the infection and end up with no T / better T or did the symptoms persist?

Curious.

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Keith,
      Ear infections can cause tinnitus so the infection might be in both ears.
      You are on strong antibiotics that are for ear infections .
      I'm on the same meds but on 500mg x3 a day for 7 days for a inner ear infection ......lots of love glynis

3. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      That's good to know. So a follow up, how typical is it for T that was caused by such an infection to clear up or become less noticable? I'm all over the place it seems ;*(

4. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kieth ,
      Give it a week or two after your medication has finished and see how you go on as only time will tell but should be less noticeable .
      Tinnitus can come with unwanted emotions like anxiety and low mood but try stay positive and stay calm as anxiety can make your tinnitus worse .
      Keep your ears covered with a hat in the cold weather also..lots of love glynis

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Keith D Mitchell: It's important to remember that tinnitus isn't a disease or a medical condition. It's a symptom (the way a fever is a symptom) of something else that's going on in your body. Tinnitus sometimes can be a symptom of an ear infection. If that's the case, the sooner you treat the infection with powerful antibiotics, the better. Don't know why an ENT wouldn't pick up on your infection, unless maybe it wasn't as pronounced at the time.

Anyway, take the full course of antibiotics as directed and stay on top of the infection. Hopefully, your tinnitus will resolve when the infection goes away. Tinnitus often is all over the place, especially in the beginning (seems to move from one ear to the other, louder then softer, ect). So try not to pay too much attention to all its fluctuations. It doesn't solve anything and makes it even more annoying.

6. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Hey all, I meant to say thanks for the advise but I've been so busy. The T however, comes and goes, but the last few days were pretty good. I had maybe 10+ hours both days with little to no noise, it came back however much later but I can still catch Zzz's easy.

I'm two days away from finishing the antibiotics, but what's odd is I still have that feeling like liquid is in my ear. I feels wet, and it definitely feels like something is moving, lol. Right now it's feeling chilled. Oh, the cracking has gone down as well when I swallow.

Guess time will tell.

7. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Well I can at least confirm that there is liquid in my ear. The last few nights I've been getting the same wet sensation but my inner ear has been wet. I was able to confirm that there is a clear / brown liquid in my ear, so it would seem it's draining but not enough to cause puddles to show on my pillow.

And while it isn't helping me, at least I can tell my GP or ENT that there is definitely liquid there.

8. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I wanted to give an update. I went back to my GP since I finished my amoxcillian. He stated the infections looks to be gone or on the way out. He checked my left and right ears, stating that the right seems to have some fluid left as the ear drum didn't move as much as the left ear drum and to wait that out. Says he's confident that the ringing will stop in a month or so.

Meanwhile the ringing has dropped from say a 3-4, to a light clicking (ETD?) and humming which is more tolerable. The right ear no longer has the fullness feeling and it pops more often. I'm having a lot more good days and I can sleep when tired, or nap if there's noise around.

Though mentally I'm feeling better, I wish my ear was better as well. I still seem to be senstive to certain noises, just not loud noises and every so often I hear faint traces of ringing, like it's trying to come back or remind me it's still there.

But that's the update!

9. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Heh, and now the ringing is back, in both ears. Oh well, it was a good 3-4 days.

10. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Kieth,
      Thank you for your updates and nice hear you have had some good days and even though the ringing is back I hope better days will follow....stay positive...lots of love glynis

11. Keith D Mitchell
      Worried

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      Thanks. I was dreading going to work cause I feared this would happen and I was hoping I was free ;(

Well doc says another month or so and doesn't think this is chronic tinnitus. In fact when I mentioned Tinnitus, he kept saying no... it wasn't.

I dunno.

Either way, I let this stop me from doing stuff I like and I'll be damned if I'm going to let that continue.