Constant Ringing for 9 Days Now — How Long Should I Wait Before I Know It's Not Going Away?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by rdz, Jan 13, 2019 at 3:52 AM.

1. rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I'm new to this website, so if I'm doing this wrong let me know. I recently noticed a constant ringing in both of my ears.

It has been 9 days since I noticed it.

I am having difficulty sleeping or doing much of anything.

I went to the doctor and they told me one of my ears was irritated and gave me ear drops.

How long should I wait to know if this is something I have to deal with the rest of my life.

2. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      2-3 weeks after that its there to stay...forever

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is a good chance that three months from now you will notice that your T has faded. There is also a good chance that your T will improve several months after the irritation inside of your ears is gone.

Also check out the studies linked to at the thread below
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-many-recover-3-studies.21441/

You can find more information that might be useful to you at
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You yourself said that your T has been fading up until the day when you had that hearing test done. Why would you want to misinform a fellow T sufferer?

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you of anything that could help me sleep. I was told to ignore it but that is a little difficult to do.

6. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      His question was "How long Should I wait before I know its not going away", which means he is asking if it will go away permanently.

Fading though does happen after the onset. Permanent vanishing of Tinnitus, eh not so sure.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It depends on your root cause. What drops did you doc give you and what was his diagnosis?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wasn't diagnosed with anything but she said that my right ear is irritated so maybe that's why I hear a ringing sound. She also said she was not sure why both are ringing if the right one was the only irritated one. Not sure what ear drops I was prescribed but was told if nothing changes in a week to make another appointment.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You don't have access to the drops to go and look?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's called neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates and hydrocortisone otic suspension, USP

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Try playing cricket noises in your bedroom. The goal is to give you something else to listen to, besides your tinnitus. For the first 5 minutes, you will still be focusing on your tinnitus, but eventually you should be able to switch to listen to the nature sounds.

You can try taking amitriptyline. It is non-addictive and it won't make you feel drowsy the next day.
      I agree, it is not clear whether most people who claim that they can hear silence, are actually in the "can hear it only in quiet rooms" stage.
      According to
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf
      Hopefully your tympanic membrane is intact.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wait how would I know if my tympanic membrane is intact? Should I stop taking it?

13. Contrast

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      we simply don't know!

We need to determine the cause of your tinnitus which is most likely hearing loss

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think that there is a chance that it is not intact if you pocked with a Qtip inside of your ear, or if you might have had a barotrauma. I read posts by people whose membrane was not intact - they experience pain when stuff is poured into their ear. Yours is probably intact.

15. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Those drops contain an antibiotic - perhaps your doctor thought you had an infection (not just an irritation)?

Note that the antibiotic neomycin could be an issue if you suspect you have a perforated ear drum, as it is ototoxic. Consider asking for an alternative for peace of mind.

Good luck!

16. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ear drops... Don't get me started... Google neomycin and ototoxity........ then throw them away.

17. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss most likely

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you think it will be safe to stop taking them, I started on Friday. I have not noticed any change on how loud it is or hearing loss. I also don't have any pain.

19. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @rdz When I got T, I was hoping it would go away in 48 hours, and it didn't. I got an appointment with an ENT on Day 7, and was prescribed Prednesone on Day 12.

For you and why this arose, I think I read something like 50% of T is due to hearing loss, so it is the most likely cause. -->Take all action you can now to heal the nerves and hair cells. My ENT said there is like a 30 day window.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Should I asked the doctor for it. Is this something that helps people early on?

21. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Yes, steroid treatment and sometimes some other drugs (otc) are standard treatment for noise induced hearing loss. I hate to mention it, but some treatment is to have the steroid injected into parts of the ear. That's not something I would do and is done probably in the first 2 days in certain situations.

Back to regular treatment: My ENT insisted on a test by an audiologist, and the tests showed a slight loss at like 7000Hz in one ear, so my ENT went ahead and prescribed the steroid. People argue about steroids, like they are dangerous and don't take them if you don't need them, but if I had an inkling it might help, I know my body can handle the steroids, so I'd take them. In your case, I might try to find a sympathetic doctor and get a prescription. You have three people in this thread saying T implies hearing loss. Something caused it, and if it was a build up of noise that your ears couldn't handle, then your ear hair cells and nerves got damaged - the steroid can help in those cases to keep those buggers from dying permanently.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      rdz

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'll ask the doctor but I just dont want to seem like a person who is addicted to drugs.

23. PortalNaut

PortalNaut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I don't see any reason to view taking a pharmaceutical temporarily as shameful or something a lesser human would do. You of course have to decide how to live your life. But small things now can possibly help you down the road. A steroid treatment like I had lasted 15 days, and some people have them for less than that.

You are now on like day 12 and possibly things are improving on their own, and that would be great, but if they aren't much better, my take (for me) is to throw something at this while it is still somewhat in the early days.

I'm almost at 11 months, and I want the best for everyone facing this devil.