Constipated — What Laxative Is Safe to Take? Worried About Tinnitus Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by russiancarl, Mar 4, 2022.

1. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

Hi all... uh never thought I'd be posting this but I searched forums and didn't find much info here or elsewhere online.

What is safe to take to relieve constipation? I have never taken an OTC for it. I used to just eat prunes but I can no longer have those due to high histamine level.

Considering MiraLAX, Milk of Magnesium, maybe Magnesium Citrate but I don't know how they all work. I see some people here taking Magnesium for tinnitus and it making it worse so I'm trying to be extra cautious.

Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. MarthKoopa

MarthKoopa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Metamucil.

3. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      Magnesium citrate.

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't know how it would affect you but I can report that MiraLAX never affected my tinnitus on the few occasions I took it the past 7 years or so.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I avoid anything Citrate or Aspartate, because they are excitatory.

I've taken Magnesium Chelate with no problems and that has a good effect on the bowel. i take Magnesium L-Threonate regularly also with absolutely no issues.

Tummy massage can help... or a glycerine suppository.

6. tracyNYC
      Frustrated

tracyNYC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2009-2020 habituated; 1/2021 - severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise; hearing loss
      Plain psyllium husk powder. I use the NOW Foods brand, sold on Amazon. I'll warn you, it's not a pleasant drink, but you can also add it to foods and use in baking.

7. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Try eating high fiber like oatmeal daily and taking a daily probiotic. Also, check your diet to see what could be causing constipation. Certain foods like red meat cause/increase constipation.

8. TinaRuns

TinaRuns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      I'm just wondering how you know Magnesium Citrate is "excitatory." I was just about to take it this morning so now I'm concerned. I've never had any problem with other forms of Magnesium. Do you think this would be temporary effect? And have you had first-hand experience with this or just heard about it or how do you know?

Thanks very much for some further explanation!