Controlling Your Tinnitus by Focusing Your Mind on Lowering the Volume?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SteveShield, Feb 14, 2019.

1. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      Has anyone ever sat quietly, meditated, etc., and have been able to lower the intensity/volume of the ringing sound by just putting their mind to it?

Earlier today I was sitting on the couch and really put my mind to it, focused all my mind energy to lower the volume and I think it may have worked or maybe just in my head... Will try again later.... Yes reaching for the stars!

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've tried this falling asleep and feel like maybe it worked a few times. Like you said, maybe just in my head.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I think a lot of this is about perception and how much hope, positivity and good old self delusion you can generate on any given day to imagine the sound as less relentlessly nasty.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I used to be able to do that on certain days. Like what was said positively makes it quieter, negatively makes it louder. After a while, you won't care anymore and it will become a part of you and you will have mostly quiet days or days where you don't notice it at all. Until then keep going.

• Like Like x 1
    5. iGL0CK
      Thinking

iGL0CK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (punk rock show)
      Yes, at night when I'm going to sleep I can do that. I can reduce T sound about 50% if I'm at the same time relaxed and focus. Hard to explain, it's weird.. like another state of mind.. deeper or smth.
      It works until I start to think about smth.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Steve
      I meditate every morning for half an hour.
      It does help me.
      I have not been able to meditate the volume down, but what I have been able to do is to realise that I do not have to experience permanent and totally flesh crawling despair over it, as I definitely used to do at its onset, and for a long time there after.
      I can still achieve some level of comfort.
      “I hear it - and I’m okay.”
      I believe the calming effect of this meditation helps me to cope better most of the time, and even helps me to be unaware of it at rare times.

However - I would be very interested to know more, if you have developed a technique that works specifically on reducing the volume of course.

With nothing else promising to help us (except questionable gizmos) I feel we have to explore the psychological aspect.

• Like Like x 3
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      Thank you all above for your input... Appreciate it very much, as I am new to this challenge...

Jazzer, I wish it worked like a light switch, maybe one day... but it is like I try to center my eyes when closed and pull almost like a valsalva of the brain I try to do... I don't know, something like that... all we can all do is from the psych aspect to help our own selves... :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can "play" with the sounds a lot but it involves a lot of conscious effort and it seems counterproductive because I'm just thinking about it more.

I notice that sometimes I get an obvious volume reduction from ~30 mins of breath meditation, which in some cases lasts a little while, but it's not reliable. (presumably it might be if I could identify the specific mechanism at work, but understanding "how" meditation is working while also doing it at the same time is, uh, sort of an impossible dualism)

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @linearb -- Have you ever tried any brain hemisphere balancing techniques? They're really simple and quick. The following two links give fairly succinct descriptions of the same technique. I do it 1x-2x/daily (takes about 2 minutes or so) and feel it helps my own brain function. I do it in conjunction with some other energy balancing techniques, and generally notice at least some marginal softening of my tinnitus from doing them. Sometimes even more than marginal. -- The videos are relatively short.

Balancing the Cortices Technique

How to "Tap Out" your Cortices