Could I Please Have Some Advice? I'm Not Sure What's Going On

Discussion in 'Support' started by amymilly, May 19, 2017.

1. amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      I haven't been on here for a while.
      I've tried to get on with my life and learn to live with tinnitus.
      For quite sometime I was doing ok.
      I could get through my day and not let it bother me. It's my one year of having tinnitus tomorrow and I've somewhat done a 360. And my anxiety is back. And my ears are going mental. And they have had some sudden change.

I usually sleep and when I wake up my ears are at its baseline. I've got used to my ears the past year and what aggravated them. E.g. . Every time I shower my ears come out louder. I used to panic about it. But as time went on. The more used to it you get. I was so happy that I felt back to normal. And I was going out for meals again (wearing earplugs when felt a little loud) and getting my life back on track and not being fixated on my ears.

So 2 days ago. Me and my partner had a massive bust up to the point I was hysterical crying. This has happened a few times since having t but never seemed to effect me. Well the next evening my ears were "ok" normal baseline. I was upset that day. Cried throughout and went to bed. When I woke up my left ear was screaming. A new tone. Completely different. As you can imagine I woke up into sheer panic. Because since having t my ears are usually quietest at the start of the day. Why the sudden change? My ears have been somewhat different since. Louder. Is this a spike? From what I know I haven't caused any additional damage? I'm so protective over my ears :(.

I thought maybe my ears were starting to settle again last night. But I woke up this afternoon (I work nights so my sleeps a bit all over the place) and again. My ear is screaming a loud flatline noise again. Straight into sheer panic.
      I feel straight back to square one. Constantly checking my ears. Going into different rooms to see if the sounds are changing. Driving myself nuts.

I don't understand why my ears have been the same sort of noise and "routine" as such for a year. And now. The sudden change. I just wondered if anyone experience this? Or have any suggestions as to what's going on.

Thank you x

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Stress does many things to our bodies. It seems like you are very stressed. You do need to relax, tinnitus can get louder with stress. You seem to have the right approach, it takes time with tinnitus and it takes a lot of heart as well. Keep it up and keep up the coping, it does fall into place eventually..

• Like Like x 1
    3. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I'm very sorry you're having a spike right now.

I see your tinnitus resulted from a perforated eardrum which was caused by loud noise? Do you have any hearing loss as a result?

Since you've been protecting your ears so well, my guess (and I'm not a professional of course!) is that the blow up between you and your partner was the straw that broke the camels back in terms of stress overload. I know you've had arguments before and no change in your T but it doesn't necessarily mean it can't happen. Stress and anxiety can make T worse so the best thing you can do is try your hardest to get as relaxed as possible. This spike may very well go away but your chances are better if you can calm yourself. I know how hard it is. I'm having a spike now and had a really bad day of panicking and crying but I realized the ONLY thing I can do is chance my reaction to it and hopefully with the elimination of stress I will too see an elimination of this spike. Good luck!! I hope you feel better soon!

4. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Can a concert cause a perforated eardrum? I thought you only could get that from a gun shot a bomb going of, and stuff like that.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      Yes it's happened to me. :(

6. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry to hear... My thought was that maybe you had the perforated eardrum before you went to the concert, but I guess anything can happen. Did you ever think: "Shit, this is loud..." during the show?

All the best.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      Yes I went to a concert a year ago tomorrow. Woke up with tinnitus. Went to the Drs and my ear drum was perforated.
      I went to see and ent finally a few months ago and he said my hearing was fine. No hearing loss. They sent me for a ct scan of my ears and Brain. And they said it was "within normal readings".

Yeah I'm guessing the argument caused it. It's just horrible having no control.
      And I'm guessing this is my first proper spike. I hope your spike calms too.

Having a spike has it changed your ears when waking up to. Actually nuts all this is x

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      No my ear didn't feel like anything. Untill the next morning.
      All the best to you to x

9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I'll tell you this much, I got my first taste of crazy tinnitus by going to a motley crue concert. No ear plugs, just stupidity. No one warned me, that tinnitus could come around, but it did. I still did not protect my ears and my low hiss that i had , turned into a horrible LOUD tinnitus, that i now have in both ears. Count your initial level of tinnitus as a blessing and learn from what you may have done. If, your ears are not protected, it can get louder and more annoying.

10. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Yes, I felt like my T was the most quiet right upon waking but now it's more noticeable again. It makes my heart sink too. I decided to start calming myself down and I'm already feeling less anxious. Now I can't tell if it's really a spike or if my perception is just different.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      Have you any tips on calming down. Anxiety is an awful thing.
      How long have you had tinnitus. And have your spikes always gone back and how long have they taken. X

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amymilly

amymilly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated ear drum
      That sounds awful. :(
      No I always protect my ears. I haven't been to any club. Cinema or gig since. And I don't intend on it. thanks for the advice x

13. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I'm very very new to tinnitus. Only 3 months. I also suffered a perforated eardrum (not due to noise exposure). BUT.. I've suffered from severe health anxiety for a very long time and for about 3 months before the onset of T I was going through the worst anxiety of my life. I thought I was dying from cancer for awhile and I thought something was wrong with my son and it was all jud anxiety. Nothing was wrong, but I was a mess. So of course this tinnitus thing has not been easy to handle.

I started going to therapy, going for acupuncture which does wonders for anxiety if only because it's so relaxing to have the procedure done and sit there for awhile. I purchased a weighted blanket which relieves stress, I use lavender essential oils in a diffuser, I drink a calming tea, I've cut out caffeine completely and I use a supplement before bed called Deep Sleep.
      I also try to keep myself as busy as I can. I get out of the house and try to find things to distract myself.
      When the T is starting to scare me again I remind myself that there's nothing I can do about it physically, obviously the doctor can't take it away, BUT I do still have control as far as emotions go. When I realize the only thing I can do is calm myself and change my reaction, then I calm down a lot. What the tinnitus is currently doing doesn't matter, my emotions matter.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Mike Chen

Mike Chen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/15/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had ringing in my ear for a month. I'm not sure how I got it. It could be rock concert I went to. I specifically remember holy crap that's super loud. I didn't want to be a pussy and cover my ears. I kind of just allowed it to make me deaf. I'll deal with the consequences later.

I think hasn't driven me mad or anything. It's just like a pimple. It's there and I try to not focus on it. But if I do focus on ringing for an hour, i will feel lightheaded. The doctor told me its not the concert that caused it. That's not loud enough. He told me to take an audiology exam.

My friend told me to stick a newspaper cone and light it on fire. That's how I decided to Google it and I ended up on this forum.

I hoping my tinnitus will go away. It doesn't well. Fml

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (sonic toothbrush touched ear...)
      Whatever you do, don't do that.

Another folk remedy involves rubbing alcohol. The problem with this is that rubbing alcohol is ototoxic (poisons your ear)...

16. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      A concert is definitely loud enough to cause T. Silly doctor.

17. neo1
      Wishful

neo1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @amymilly It's sad to hear about your spike with your T, but i have to agree with other members in the thread. A overload of anxiety from both the loud sound when you and your partner arguing and also from how you reacted after with you being upset, that i totally understand.

For some T sufferers it work's retroactive and need time to be processed before the brain alerts and start to increase the sound you here after severe anxiety or stress that it will try to handle.

It's common for some T sufferers, that it's lower in the morning and then it increases and it have it fatigue on the mind and body the longer the day goes. As soon you get to bed, it all starts over. But if the body can release all that stress, it can't release it will make a great increase in you T sound(s).

On a personaly view, i have what i call "retakes" once a year, where my T just resets to how it was the first i got it. it's quite loud and uncontrolled, sounds all over the plays and you feel a small anxiety and my stress levels goes up for a day or two. But for me anyway it will settle after a few days, i just try to go on with my day and i also when i feel anxiety be close to people that i love like family and friends, they been told what i go through and can in most cases understand that just being around them it helps me to think about something else then the load sounds in my head all the f**king time.

I hope you get som relief in you T soon@amymilly

/F