Could Tinnitus Worsen from Manual Ear Wax Removal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeO123, Jun 30, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone,

Just got back from the doctor who removed earwax from one of my ears. He did it manually and it hurt. I asked the doctor and he said he didn't go near the ear drum and that it hurt because my ear canal is swollen and the wax was hard so I was prescribed ear drops. The doctor also checked the ear drum after removing the wax and said everything looked good.

I just got home and I was wondering if I have anything to worry bout as far as my tinnitus getting worse from the procedure.

Thank you!

2. Yoshi
      Wishful

Yoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphones, Bus Braking, Burping (air enters ear canal)
      It really depends on the person, many here would suggest you shouldn't

1. irrigate your ears

2. have the earwax manually removed with a curette

3. suctioned with a microsuction.

You'll find people warning you against all three. From what I've gleaned anyway, the method with the most complications is the microsuction first and foremost, then the ear irrigation, and finally a small percentage have a problem with manually removing earwax.

The microsuction is very loud when it's suctioning wax inside the ear next to your eardrum, and many say this has caused hearing damage and given them a permanent spike, while the ear irrigation forcefully shoots water against your eardrum, which could perforate it if done with enough force. I can't see much danger with the manual method of removal unless the doctor actually perforates your eardrum with the curette, which would cause you a lot of pain.

You shouldn't worry too much, if there is a spike, it'll be from your anxiety and stress rather than any complication with the ear wax removal. Cheers!

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Ok thank you for your help!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So today I went to the doctor to remove ear wax manually. When he did he scraped the ear canal and my ear started bleeding a good amount. He checked the ear drum after the happened and said the ear drum was completely fine and he was no where near it. He put hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab to clean the inside of my ear, it didn't hurt at all when he did that and it only made a sizzling sound for a second.

I'm home now and my ear doesn't hurt too bad. When I got home I walked out of car to my door and wasn't wearing earplugs when a large truck hit its brakes in front of my house causing one of the loudest screeches I ever heard. I was exposed to it directly for probably around a second after of which I put my fingers in my ears.

I'm very concerned that between the doctors and the noise exposure that damage was done and I'd really appreciate your support. Thank you.

5. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      You're fine, you're just always overly paranoid about hearing damage. Even if you don't experience a spike, you are worried.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah before a spike happens I'm always expecting one.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm really worried the eardrum may have actually been damaged

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Update

Just get back from another doctor to Get a second opinion, ear drums aren't damaged. Now I'm just just hoping I don't get a spike because of the screeching breaks of the truck. I've taken NAC and magnesium today so I'm hoping that helps