Counselling

Discussion in 'Support' started by glynis-harbron, Sep 4, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      In this thread it would be nice to hear from members who have had counselling and helped them with their feelings a bit more in depth than the feeling thread.

People can have a stigma attached to counselling and think its something to be a shamed of and not talk about it to anyone .

Well I had counselling and it helped me with my feelings and dealing with coming to terms with health issues and this helped me be the strong person I am here today.
      Hope others will post and feel proud about having the help with talking therapy as its nothing be ashamed of..... lol glynis

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      I am with you, Glynis. There are times we just need extra help such as counselling. I had posted before on TT that I lost my only son to a freak accident at 5 years old. I also witnessed the accident myself and so I was in deep trauma and grief, suffering symptoms of PTSD constantly. I had to receive psychiatric counselling with heavy dose of ADs and tranquilizers for about a year. When I had T & H, the nerves just caved into panic attacks on auto mode every morning when awaken by the mad screaming in the ears. I had very dark thoughts when the sufferings of T, H, anxiety and panic attacks caused the tired and stressed out brain to sink into deep depression and sleeplessness. I received some psychological counselling but they are not TRT nor CBT based. Just to be able to talk out one's feeling has been a tremendous help and relief to the overloaded nerves. We are just human. When the stress is too much, we just have to figure out ways to channel out the feeling, even receiving counselling. There is no need to be ashamed of it. If I remember, Dr. Nagler told us that he needed to get back to some TRT based counselling when his T suddenly spiked in pitch. So as strong a personality as he has, he doesn't feel ashamed to talk about this on TT. There is no need to play superhuman. My humble 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    3. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      @glynis-harbron and @billie48, I could not possibly agree more. The first therapist I went to for T was CBT based, but I later went to a psychiatrist due to the need for medical intervention for sleep. He was also a caring listener, an objective person, and someone I grew to respect over the two years I saw him.

It makes me sad that psychiatrists, psychologists and other mental health professionals have such a bad stigma attached to them. I imagine some of them out there may deserve the bad name, but that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. My CBT therapist was the first person to make me feel like the situation wasn't hopeless when I was truly at my worst. My psychiatrist, though he was not well educated on tinnitus, took time to learn about it as best he could to help me. When I had questions, he took the time to answer them openly and kindly.

I'm not sure I can say what it was about all of this that helped most, I can only say it was essential tool to my getting out of the hole I was in when my T started. I think a part, was that, as I mentioned in another thread, our traditional support systems aren't always a good place to go with tinnitus. My family was there for me as best they knew how, but they were wrapped up in the trauma with me, they were scared for me, confused etc. My therapists cared, but they weren't part of the tragedy in that way, which made quite a difference.

These days, the first thing I actually tend to recommend to new sufferers, after seeing an ENT and ruling out something addressable on that front, it going to see a psychiatrist with whom you feel comfortable. Even if your T is ancient, I'd still make that as my top recommendation, that's how useful and integral it was to me.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Counseling for tinnitus, I don't get it. I went to specialized tinnitus counseling, all they told me was not to think about it, I alway wondered what I was doing there talking about it (at 180 per hour) if I wasn't supposed to be giving it any time, thought or talking about.

I would recommend against it, total waste of time. Another scam unless you have mental/emotional type issue to begin with, if not don't bother for help with tinnitus specifically. You walk out and think what the hell, now I go home with the exact some problem I arived here with except I'm a little lighter in the wallet and could have just called a friend and chatted for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Agree with you Telis!
      A physical problem like tinnitus should not be treated by counselling!
      Tinnitus is not a mental problem!!!
      Tinnitus needs a proper medical/pharmacological approach, not antidepressants or talk therapy.

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      I agree that counselling cannot cure tinnitus. T is a physiological ailment caused by hyperactive neurons firing the wrong signals. To stop this sound probably needs meds to intervene, such as those being reported on TT the like of Autifony, AM101, Trobalt, Keppra, etc.

But there is the other side of T suffering which is mental, and this mental side of the suffering aggravates the condition or the perception of T. Anxiety and stress are toxic to T. Many members have reported that when they go on vacation, their T seem to be less intrusive. When they get back to work, T becomes bad again.

So this mental side of the suffering can't be ignored and can be dealt with by various channels, including counselling, particularly CBT based counselling specific to T. During such counselling, the task is to deprogram the brain from believing in all the distorted thoughts, so called cognitive distortions in CBT, which are causing lots of mental sufferings. To many sufferers, T is slowly becoming a phobia, such that the minute they hear that sound, the whole body tenses up and great fear take over. That is why even some one with mild or low tone T can still react like those with ultra high pitch dog whistle T.

When T becomes a phobia, the body's reaction to it becomes irrational. In such state, great stress and anxiety takes over and the perception of T becomes worse. It feeds the viscius cycle of T-> anxiety/stress -> worse T -> worse anxiety/stress. The role of CBT counselling can help to defuse such viscius cycle or break it. Once the task is achieved, the nerves can stabilize and the limbic nerves which caused the 'fight or flight' reaction is gradually replaced by the normal parasympathetic nerves. The Amygdala which has been processing the T signal as a deadly threat can be slowly replaced by other areas of the brain such as the frontal cortex. This new neural pathway can then allow the brain to perceive the T signal in more manageable capacity.

There are many other aspects of CBT based counselling which can help, such as mindfulness, exposure etc. and there is nothing better than to read the writings of those doctors on TT, such as Dr. Hubbard and Dr. Gans. Dr. Hubbard wrote his success story attributing CBT (even in self help mode) has saved him.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/how-cbt-helped-me-live-again-dr-hubbards-story.4608/

On another forum, I read some notable members, including one of the mods have said that CBT has helped them tremendously, even by following books (I did that myself) and doing its exercises. There is no better book for tinnitus with CBT approach than the one often talked about on T forums, the Henry & Wilson book on T management (which is out of print right now but may be available as used versions).

Once again, I think counselling has its role if not for curing T, but for the mental side of T struggle which can aggravate T. But we all know nothing works for everybody. If pro counselling is too expensive for some, self-help is a good way to go. At the price of a book, it is worth the price to see if it can help you by following and practising the mental exercises it teaches. You can always resell that book if it doesn't work for you. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Teri
      Artistic

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      CBT counseling helped me cope with my T.

• Like Like x 2
    8. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      One thing I learnt at counselling was stop trying to justify my menieres and tinnitus to my in law who keeps brushing it away Like its nothing and my sever asthma and I'm under the hospital severe asthma unit under a lovely team and need max meds .
      They said my doctor and my consultant and family know what I go through so just say nothing or I need to go at my own pace and time out as ears or lungs are giving me trouble . Basically counselling helped me cope and stick up for my self and not let her keep putting me down.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    9. Ed209

Ed209 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I totally agree about the perception of it being worse when stress and anxiety rises. I'm currently going through another really bad spell, but 2 days ago I had a run of 4 really good days.

It's like a switch gets flicked in my head then I'm suddenly on a downer again, it's so up and down that I don't know if I'm coming or going. I think my mental state must be at play and believe I'm slipping in and out of depressive States, pretty much like manic depression/bi polar or something along those lines. There's just no other explanation because my mental state is all over the place. I had one day where it pretty much disappeared which is unexplainable, I just can't understand how it can virtually vanish and then come back.

Other than that it goes up and down in volume all the time, I can have a string of brilliant days and then immediately have bad days. When the good days come and I get them back to back it puts me in a place of false security. Right now I'd say I'm moderately coping, not desperately but not happy. I have an extreme fear of it getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I too am in a terrible place. I am having counselling but its not helping as the counselor just does not get it and I've no real CBT at all.
      I'm pretty depressed right now and exhausted which I know does not help. I'm too tired to really occupy myself. I recently got the T volume down using magnesium spray but the ultra high pitch could still cut glass which makes it worse and now its stopping me sleeping.
      I spend all day monitoring it. I used Nytol herbal last night it worked but spiked my T which really scared me, I should have had a good day today but cant due to the spike which I never expected. So no Nytol for me tonight, never again.
      I feel I trapped in a cycle of hell.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Rust
      Gloomy

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi @noisebox, same spike happened to me last night after using herbal Nytol. I presume the spike following the Nytol subsided soon after? (Well, I'm hoping so!) Thanks

12. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      The spike lasted all day. I have now moved to melatonin, I am taking just a quarter of a tablet now. Been on it a few weeks. Now I sleep.

13. Rust
      Gloomy

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ah that's good it didn't last more than a day :) I'm glad the melatonin is working for you now too. It's a bit of a rollercoaster every time it spikes due to something new, just hoping it won't be permanent! All the best
      R

14. Palomar

Palomar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I saw a counsellor for my tinnitus. He did some CBT and other treatments. Out of all of it what I found most helpful was learning how to accept the ringing and meditation skills for coping with it wouldn't interfere with my life. If it's quiet or I focus on it then I can hear it's as loud as ever, but most of the time I don't even notice it's there anymore. If medical science finds a cure for it someday, great I'll take it, but counselling helped me deal with it myself so I can still life my life until then.

• Like Like x 1
    15. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Because counselling isn't for everybody as judging by the responses above, I elect to give counselling for free here.
      Some of my sage advice is....
      - pick better parents for improved genetics
      - at least win the lottery to partly offset the misery of tinnitus
      - deprive yourself of good music and even then you may still get tinnitus
      - just get used to it
      - don't worry, be happy
      - a cure will come some day.

On a serious note, I am in the camp unless the counselor has tinnitus, or is unusually enlightened, the best counselling occurs on this forum..those of us that share their coping skills and who speak from experience and know what they are talking about. If there seems to be a correlation, many of whom who have suffered the most, give the best advice.
      Group hug...or at least pass the Ganja.

• Like Like x 1
    16. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Going for some counselling next week. I could have done with it a few months ago but there is such a long waiting list its come now. Better late than never I suppose. Might try and get the Tinnitus Management book Billie48 talked about.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1