Counterintuitive Use of Tone Generator

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bappenlabapp, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Bappenlabapp

Bappenlabapp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, suppressed anger building muscular tension
      Hi,

I got my T last year when I had a fight with a friend in our band that I now left and didn't speak out enough. This made my jaws go crazy. Literally, I was chewing on my anger. Besides, I was exposed to very loud drums played by said friend, that was part of what the fight evolved from.

My T used to be a single high tone around 10 to 14 kHz. Now it gradually turned into a hiss around the same frequencies. It is only on the left ear now, and I wanted to know what the frequencies are, so I downloaded a tone generator for my phone. It is called ToneGen or Audio test tone generator, it's free on the Android marketplace Google Play Store. It can explore frequencies by dialling them up and down with a scale on the screen. I discovered that frequencies beyond 14 kHz are almost gone on the left side, while I still hear them ok on my right ear. Quality headphones required :)

Long story short, what I discovered was that playing these frequencies and dialling them up and down, my T vanishes when I stop the sound. Ranging from a few seconds to longer periods of time. This may be the presumably damaged by high volumes nerve cells firing anyway, and the hearing system can reduce the amplification in that area. All very unscientific, mind you. Anyway, some may profit from this.

But be careful, this is the exact opposite of some treatments with notch filtered music, it may not work for others or spike their T.

All the best

Thomas

2. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      What are doing is called residual inhibition. Unfortunately its only a short term cure but great for releif. I would also sugggest googling the general fuzz acrn. That may be somthing you want to try out as well.

3. Rodribs
      Confused

Rodribs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      High frequency trauma
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      08/2016
      I did set the tone between 8600 - 9500 Hz which is I think the tone of my tinnitus. Suddenly when listening to it, it masked tinnitus and also reduced the hypersensitivity on my ears so it means that's the tone range I would need on sound generators?

At which volume level did you set the generator Thomas? Because for me was immediate relief on both tinnitus and alleged hyperacusis and it's not noise generated just a tone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.