Cranio Sacral Therapy

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by RaZaH, Feb 4, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I have been doing Cranio Sacral Therapy for a few weeks now and here are my experiences.

At first I just felt the relaxation effects of this therapy which was nice but did next to nothing for my T.
      Then I started to come in with massive T and hearing it reduce during the therapy, coming out feeling pretty good. This would never really last more than a day or so.

Just recently my therapist started a new procedure where she actually puts her fingers in my mouth and does some hocus pocus *cranio is mostly about doing next to nothing to you, except touching lightly?*
      I have only had one of these "mouth" sessions but it did something, in fact it gave me the most insane spike i have ever experienced, thought I would not survive that day/night....for real.

Insane as that may sound , I can't wait for the next session, if it gives me such an insane spike that would be proof that is does ...well...something, which is better than nothing. I think :rolleyes:

Apart from that I am also doing something that involves a light device that I hold to various points of my body, including ears ...bio-something ? Will report on that, although that REALLY feels like mumbo jumbo.

But...what can you do , except try .:bag:

• Like Like x 3
    2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep all you can do is try.Just another thing that empties your wallet and gives false hope..there you go what can you do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well , it's free, so why not. It's relaxing.

4. The therapy she is doing in your mouth sounds like trigger point therapy. If your T is somatic, it could cure you, or at least help reduce it.

5. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      I had 2 Cranio Sacral Therapy sessions, the last being Monday Feb. 3rd. I seemed to have low T for a day after the 1st treatment and higher T after the 2nd, so inconclusive at this point. The fact that my tinnitus changed does hold some promise. Cost $60/hour.

I had added to a existing thread from 2010 on DS Tinnitus which had much more posts on this topic. http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Tinnitus/forum/9684717-cranial-sacral-therapy

• Like Like x 1
    6. Linds
      Balanced

Linds Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I have recently been to CST and i must admit i was a little sceptical to begin with but the last time i went something strange happened.
      She had her hands under my head and she told me to imagine projecting the whole left hand side of my body out from where i was laying, out as far i could imagine, to the opposite wall.(my T is worse on that side)
      The T almost halved in intensity! I cant explain it, was it a placebo effect, was it something she did, all i know is that for that short time my T was greatly effected.
      The T did come back as normal after the session but there was an effect.
      I am going again tomorrow so i will see what happens then.
      I am not promoting this therapy or making it sound better than it is, i am just relating my experience.
      I hope it can make a lasting difference. I will give it a few more tries to give it a proper go.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, there is something to it. I personally don't care so much if it's a placebo or not , if it works it works.:)
      Admittedly I do not expect it to clear up my T , but it makes me feel better and lately I have come to realize that even though I am pretty much powerless about T I am far from powerless in doing a multitude of little things that make me feel just a little bit better(y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks guys. This is next on my list of things to try. Appreciate your feedback.

• Like Like x 2
    9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi LadyDi, I had 4 or 5 treatments, did not help T. When she put her fingers in my mouth and massaged the lower sides of my mandible it did help open my sinuses, and took away that fullness feeling in my ear. I agree with others here, no harm in giving it a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks, Gary. That is kind of my benchmark: I am looking for therapies that won't cost me a fortune (although I am doing Neuromonics) and that won't make my condition worse. I have done acupuncture for about 18 sessions, through an inner ear surgeon and researcher rather than a traditional Asian medicine practitioner. I feel it did help me initially but now I have gone about as far as I can go.

Trying different supplements, too. CST also sounded like it was worth a shot.

11. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      What is somatic T ?

12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    13. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I am not sure if this is part of the standard definition (if indeed there is one), but I believe that somatic tinnitus goes beyond one's ability to magnify or produce phantom sounds by clenching or pressing body parts.

Certainly, I am able to magnify my tinnitus when I squeeze the back of my head or press the right side of my jaw. But what I find really interesting is that immediately upon waking, I rarely have any tinnitus at all. However, within moments of gaining consciousness---usually accompanied by movement of some sort---the ringing sets in. It could simply be that as my brain fires up, the tinnitus goes along for the ride. Alternatively, my body movements could have something to do with the problem. That is, assuming some kind of interconnectedness between movement and head noise, somatic tinnitus could be much more complicated than the effect of direct pressure near the auditory nerve.

I should add that once the noise sets in after getting up in the morning, it is with me for the day unless I can relieve it with a shower (which is another topic altogether). So, subsequent lack of movement does not reduce or eliminate the tinnitus in my case.

-Golly

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I might be daft but why is it called somatic tinnitus , seems like everyone can modulate their T by clenching their jaw or pushing against their forehead ? Isn't somatic T just ...T ?

I can most definitely modulate my T with my jaw and and pushing against my forhead , would that imply any different treatment options ? I am confused .

15. Well if you had trigger points causing your T (usually stemming from your SCM muscle in neck) then yes, T could be relieved..so either through massage of the trigger points, injections and or TMJ therapy..though there are different reasons one with TMJ can have T as well.

16. Look up trigger point therapy by Clair Davies online..add Tinnitus to that as well..I can push on my jaw and make my T loud or appear in left ear...I also have TMJ

17. Hey that's pretty cool! I just began CST myself. At first I was like..uhm..so your just laying hands on my face? o.k then.. lol..but when I stood up, I felt VERY relaxed and a little lightheaded..going in, tbh, I didn't even know what it was really, so it was more then placebo..

18. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Can someone tell me ... Is this the same as "neurological chiropractic"?

We have a place just opened in a town about 40 minutes away who say they are neuro chiro's. Same thing?

19. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      I tried CST 4 times. Whilst I felt relaxed on the table, I cant say that it made an impact either way on the way I perceive the loudness/quality of my t. I have also given acupuncture with a good go, and didn't feel any benefit other than relaxation from that. I have also received 3 tmj intraoral treatments for suspected tmj dysfunction...again, relaxing but no significant impact on the t. currently I am doing hypno...that is the most successful treatment for me so far...the expectation isn't to cure but to desensitize me to the sound...which to me is as good as a cure!

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I am going in for another session today , if I get this insanse spike again then I am on to something for sure.
      I have tried lots of things , never had such a strong correlation , however it was only once and could be a fluke.
      Kind of interesting as I have always had a gut feeling that my T was in some way connected to my jaw.

21. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I had two sessions in the past weeks. The treatmenst felt like... nothing. :) The guy was more or less holding my head with very subtle movements in different areas. I am not saying this treatment can't help people, but I was not impressed.

22. Luis Angel

Luis Angel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Golly i have exactly what you discribe, if there is something thats works please get me inform

23. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @Luis Angel:

My tinnitus comes and goes, triggered by sleep. After a silent day, a good night's rest can produce a day of head noise. And after a day of head noise, a solid sleep can relieve me and produce a day of silence. I have tried a lot of things: some work better than others. Among the most helpful are stress reduction (through exercise and relaxation) and good sleep, which I bring about with low doses of Remeron (7.5mg). Even though the sleep can induce tinnitus, a good sleep allow me to cope better. I am still experimenting and would be happy to discuss.

Best, Golly

24. mrdude1234

mrdude1234 Member

My T is nothing like this. My T is constant and does not change if I clench/push/whatever, I think it was brought on by Epstein-Barr virus. I don't believe I have any hearing loss either. Hopefully the virus symptoms pass and so does the tinnitus...

25. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      What are options for treatment for somatic T?
      Thank you.

26. dhode
      Alone

dhode Member

I did find a quick session quite relaxing but it seemed to have suddenly provoked tinnitus in my left ear where it was just silent or not very noticeable.

Anyone ever have that happen where it has gotten worse after a treatment?

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ireckon if your going to try these therapies you cant expect instant resullts need many sessions

Me? weekly sacral therapy for 6 months, 2 x 6 month goes with two different cranial osteopaths ,dont ask how much this all cost on top of everything else T has cost me probably 5 figures ........

Still on the T forum........

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah ...I found the "benefit" was just taking time out and relaxing a bit .
      This cranial stuff is pretty much a ripoff , I was expecting my head to be massaged or something but it was just ..mumbo jumbo - almost touching my head - overlaying of hands .

Of course I fooled myself into believing it was doing "something" for a while.

29. dhode
      Alone

dhode Member

The issue I have is it proved a negative effect as soon as I did it, not sure what exactly it did but I now have much worse T than I used to and after 48 hours not too much has changed.

I could stand it when it wasn't ringing even with music or stuff on but this just made it worse.

30. John G

John G Member

I tried it for a while. It didn't seem to help at all. Although , it may have helped if I stuck with it for longer,but it was getting too expensive. Each visit was adding up and I couldn't afford to keep going. Plus,it's hard to tell if the person that's doing the cranial thing , is actually doing it the proper way, and how do we know what the proper way is?.

• Like Like x 1