Crystal Meth & Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by A123Lon, Jan 6, 2017.

1. A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Smoked crystal meth for the first time yesterday. My ears are still ringing pretty loud, does anyone know how long it takes for the tinnitus to go back to normal, if it even does go back to normal? Can meth usage cause a permanent rise in tinnitus over time?

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Crystal meth, man, impressive :cool:

I guess meth messes with your brain. As the connection between tinnitus and the brain is strong, who knows what can happen?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I really hope that you are just trolling here and making fun of us. I can imagine that we must all seem pretty nuts if you are reading this and don't have tinnitus. If not, then your tinnitus is about to become the least of your concerns. It won't take crystal meth long to completely destroy you. Hopefully, this was enough to scare you away from it for good.

• Agree Agree x 6
    4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah... don't do meth. It's one of the worst drugs out there in terms or ruining people's lives.

• Agree Agree x 8
    5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Most stimulants will probably spike existing tinnitus: methamphetamine, amphetamine, pseudoephedrine, etc. Good news is that it's temporary.

If you're using stimulants often, make sure you're doing research on how you can combat any neurotoxicity and ensure you take every step to recover properly. Make sure you're eating right, getting plenty of sleep and supplementing with vitamins/minerals like magnesium, b vitamins, etc.

6. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Not everybody smokes meth. I sprinkle powdered meth on my cereal in the morning for just the right kicker to start the day.

I find it makes me forget about my tinnitus and most other things as well... instant habituation.
      Then....I have a protein shake with LSD and angel dust. Sometimes I put a little PCP in there as well for a hint of variety. Because each of our bodies are different, each has to determine an optimal nutritional regiment to suit our individual needs.

YMMV ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Methamphetamine is strongly dopaminergic to the point of neurotoxicity when consumed in usual "recreational" doses. So, you're dealing with a huge change in the way various neurotransmitter systems work, combined with some small amount of brain damage. (Which is highly cumulative, especially as longer term use has a deleterious effect on sleep which will compound whatever damage is caused.)

Basically, no one can tell you what's going to happen, but probably your tinnitus will slowly trickle back to normal over the next 3-21 days.

I'm not high and mighty enough to say "don't smoke meth, duh", but I will point out that any given time you smoke it has a nonzero chance of causing you permanently worse T or other long-term problems.

edit: @stophiss I wouldn't conflate these things; PCP and Meth are toxic in a way that LSD isn't no matter how much you take -- and I've seen sporadic anecdotes about low-dose, infrequent LSD use having a significant positive impact on tinnitus perception.... and of course other anecdotes that point the other direction.

Meth is probably less toxic than alcohol on a purely physiological level -- also wildly, wildly more addictive, and even more likely to cause people to impulsively commit acts of violence. Sounds like a bad time!

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I hope you have good dental insurance. Seriously, if you take meth, tinnitus is the least of your worries.

• Agree Agree x 6
    9. CalebDume

CalebDume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs
      Hey man, I see you posted this a few years ago. The same thing happened to me yesterday except I snorted it.

Any updates? Did it fade away or was the damage permanent?

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      He either got better and clean with no tinnitus, or he's dead bud.

11. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I wonder if he smoked the blue stuff.

In all seriousness, it looks like his last post was in the end of 2019. Since this thread started in 2017 I'm guessing it didn't go away, but he/she may not be bothered by it anymore. Who knows really.

12. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      This is extraordinary. Taking one of the most addictive substances on the face of the earth that was used during World War II to turn soldiers into 24 seven killing machines with no food or sleep and the OP’s is asking about tinnitus. This can’t be for real, is this for real? Man that’s a mind blowing set of risk reward calculations.

George

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sir this is America, I was prescribed Dextroamphetamine when I was 12 and Methamphetamine salts by college.

Amphetamines aren't actually very toxic or dangerous used at therapeutic levels but it seems like people who enjoy their effects like to, uh, exceed those doses by a lot. I wouldn't know, I always hated the stuff.

@CalebDume, any impact it had on my tinnitus was temporary, but I wasn't snorting recreational doses. All these things can cause jaw tension which can make this stuff worse. Try some Magnesium supplements, and also not snorting more meth. That part is important.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fair enough.

George

15. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
    16. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Why are people trying meth?! That is like pointing a loaded gun to your head lol.

17. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is literally a game of Russian Roullette because meth, oxy, etc can deliver a brain chemistry flood that cannot be replicated in any other way. In many people a circuit breaker switch gets flipped and that’s it, there is no going back. It starts off exciting but now you have a moth and flame problem. The escape velocity is impossible for so many. Drug overdose is now the number one killer of people under 50 in the US.

George

• Like Like x 1