CT Scan

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pb1, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hey all,

I'm going for a CT Scan tomorrow.

I'm sure this T I've got has been caused by my nervous system being totally out of sync for the last month.

Was just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible for whatever is causing this (increased neuron activity or whatever it is) to show up on a CT scan? It would make me feel better if there was at least some thing that would show what the heck is going on.

Also I'm kind of worried that the CT scan could have a negative effect on it and make it worse? I know that's probably complete paranoia but the way I am at the moment I just don't know what to think.

Thanks very much for any feedback.

Phil

2. truesilence

truesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Bring earplugs. I've not had CT but MRI can be noisy. They should provide you with protective ear defenders. I've had several MRI's and it hasn't made my T any worse.

3. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I don't think CT's are loud, only MRI, so you should have no worries. They do look a bit scary when you take off the cover:

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi,

Thanks for that. I'll take some earplugs with me.

I've been wondering whether to do it or not as I doubt a CT scan would be able to show if there was any different/increased neural activity in the part of the brain that causes T. I guess I'll do it though just to rule anything else out.

It would be great if there's something out there that could show the area of the brain that causes T. Even if they were just able to show where the problem was occurring I think that would be a big leap forward to helping people cope.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Wow yeah that does look kinda freaky. With the cover on it looks so much more friendly!

Do you have any idea how long a CT scan takes? It sounds reasonably quiet but I wouldn't want to be in it for more than a few minutes!

6. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I'd say go for it, unlike MRI it's really not loud so I doubt you'll even need ear plugs, but it's best to take them just in case.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hey,

So I did the CT scan on Thursday. The good news is that it's really quite, just a few bleeps and that's it. The bad news is that it's kind of left me feeling really whacked out, sort of like the feeling you get when you've maybe had a couple of night nurse and you wake up the next morning and feel just not with it.

I know this sounds really crazy, but I'm wondering if the big dose of radiation could have this kind of effect. Has anyone else had something like this?

8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      For that you need an EEG.

9. Charlie396

Charlie396 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Had a brain CT scan couple weeks ago, wore earplugs but probably didn't need to. It isn't loud at all, apparently MRI's are.

There's nothing to worry about except the insane amount of radiation CT scan's produce.

10. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Yea I'd skip the CT scan and go for an mri. I had a new mri machine and it wasn't loud.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pb1

Pb1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016

Hey, I don't know if there really is all that much radiation from a brain scan. I talked to the guy operating the machine about it before hand, and he showed me a chart showing that a brain scan is only a maximum of 5 times the radiation from a normal x-ray. I think the big radiation comes from when they do a full body scan.

That being said, did you notice any after effects at all from it? I've been feeling a bit odd but I'm not entirely sure whether that could be down to the CT scan or whether with all the other horribleness that's currently going on in my life I've somehow talked myself into it. I do feel a bit kind of whacked out though.

12. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
    13. ady

ady Member

CT scans are not precise enough to find problems in the brain. Choose MRI instead. MRI with ear muffs and plugs is bearable.