Cured from Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by runnerbloke, Oct 3, 2015.

1. runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      I ended up here after seeing a video for Tinnitus Terminator.

I did not use this program in 2005 when I developed tinnitus, but it sounds very similar in concept to what I did use so it does make sense.

I used Neuromonics which was costly; about $5000 for a device with a personalised program and special earphones.

After four days of listening for six hours a day the tinnitus disappeared. Fortunately I could work with the earphones in place. I occasionally 'hear' it a little but not enough to worry about.

That was in 2005 and it's now 2015 and I am still tinnitus-free thanks to Neuromonics which was developed by a research bloke at a university in Perth, Western Australia where I was living at the time. I would recommend Neuromonics to anyone.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      @runnerbloke - Can you give us more information about your T, such as what caused it, how intrusive it was, what sounds it made, the level of distress you experienced? Four days at six hours a day to cure tinnitus would seem to be a fairly mild level of tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      My T started the night one of our art galleries was broken into at 1am. Much was stolen. Got back to bed at 3am and heard a rumbling sound. After four weeks it developed into a high pitched whine like an electrical signal in my right ear. I was totally freaked out!! Life like this could not go on. I was devastated. It was all-consuming.

Nuromonics advise listening to the program for two hours a day (it's quite pleasant) but I was so determined I put in six hours. They talk about significant relief after a few months. Mine disappeared after four days.

The science is they take a measurement of your T and make an algorithm of it and mix that with classical music and relaxation music.

It trains the brain to create new neural pathways. It worked (and I don't care what the science is!!!!!!)

Neuromonincs was being distributed in the US back in 2005 when I had my experience. These days in Australia, it is apparently being handled by another group. Not sure of the situation on the US.

Was the best $5k I ever spent. It saved my life.

4. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm not clear on the time line. How long had you had T before you started Neuromonics?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      This thread seems dubious.

• Agree Agree x 6
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      Nothing dubious. I am relaying my experience.

I had T for about four months before I commenced Neuromonics. I even had a small waterfall feature which I put next to my bed to help me sleep. I even took this to Bali where we escaped to in order to destress before I commenced treatment. Hotel staff must have thought I was mad. (I suppose I was)

I am now 63 and had T when I was 53. I occasionally get a strong blast of a high-pitched whine for maybe 10-15 seconds which scares me, but no re-appearance of constant T for ten years.

7. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have thought about Neuromonics for a while. I have a clinic near by that offers this service. Very pricy I must say. I'm still not sure if this is something I'd like to try since I can't stand having anything near my ears... let alone headphones with music for that amount of time.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
    9. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I guess you started treatment early enough that you were one of the lucky ones for whom this treatment really works. Maybe since your tinnitus started with a stressful situation, that the alleviation of stress by using the waterfall and focusing on the Neuronics fixed whatever was wrong in your brain. I used audio notch therapy for a while and I think it really did help, but it got to the point that I just couldn't stand listening to it anymore.

Your paintings are beautiful :)

10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      @runnerbloke Has it ever occurred to you that your T might have just left on its own? It's very possible being you only had it for 5 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      Anything is possible.

However I had constant tinnitus for some months. Within a week a week of commencing the program the T disappeared. That's too much of a co-incidence methinks. Knowing how severely it affected me; if I was back in that very same position, I would try it again.

Neuromonics say the sound program they develop is totally suited for the individual's T. However my cousin in Melbourne also developed T last year and I lent the device to him and he has had substantial relief from it.

I can tell you, I sent it to him with such trepidation as I was concerned it could be lost in the post, and I keep that device so safe as it was my saviour and I would hate not to have access to it should my symptoms ever return.

As I have said it's ten years since that all happened. The fact it was possibly the worst thing to ever have happen to me is what has made me come here and try and give support and hope to others.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      You're very kind. Thank you! :)

13. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I always knew neuromonics was helpful
      Tinnitus Treatment - Causes and treatment of...
      If I could give it a go I would've done it , but no available facilities here in my country -.-

But @runnerbloke im curious to what made you come to this site after being 10 years tinnitus free ?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      Hi Assassinator - As I said in my first post in this thread, I happened to see an online ad for Tinnitus Terminator (of which I know nothing but it sounds similar in concept to Neuromonics).

I followed a couple of links and somehow ended up here. From personal experience I know how devastating T is, so I thought that even though many years have passed, I would share my positive story.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. cqman
      Pooptoast

cqman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Second.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      Hello Pooptoast. You are quite at liberty to make up your own mind about my experience. It's obviously up to you to take or not take any action regarding whatever your situation is.

I can assure you my story is completely true. It's no skin off my nose whether you believe it or not. But I have no reason to post on this site a story that is not true. What reason could I possibly have? I am now retired in a small town in Queensland Australia. I paint and I surf and swim. I no longer have tinnitus.

But for me my outcome was so wonderful that even now, ten years later, I bother to tell it (although this is the first time in probably ten years that I have visited a site such as this and relayed my experience).

There you go mate. Up to you. If you have any queries feel free to ask any question through my website above (which has absolutely nothing to do with tinnitus).

• Like Like x 1
    17. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Search this site for audio notch therapy. I can't afford Neuromonics either, but I used "homemade" audio notch therapy for a couple months last year and it really did help. Unfortunately, I got to the point where I just couldn't stand to listen to anything anymore. It might be time for me to give it another try.

18. eric peterson
      Sporty

eric peterson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 10/2003 Increase: 04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows? who cares?
      I would be very skeptical about dropping 5G's on a product before I saw any peer-reviewed evidence that the product works. Are there any articles in reputable journals that show the efficacy of this treatment? I understand that for many people, T is so intrusive that they're willing to try (and pay) about anything to get it to go away. But most (if not all) of these expensive methods are nothing more than snake oil. Maybe this method is different. And if it is, Neuromonics should be able to easily provide evidence of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Well that is the only thing that matter.

Of course their is no miracle products and a lot of people don't have relief with those treatments. But T is different for each person, so if it works for one, it's already a good thing!

Even if 5000 is totally... well you understand.

20. nomoredreaming

nomoredreaming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj
      I would love to no if this works for tmj T

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      Yes $5k is a lot of money, if that's what the current pricing is today. Bear in mind I used Neuromonics in 2005 so comparatively it was considerably more expensive.

However I was willing to do anything to be free from T. It was destroying my life. I could not think rationally and I could barely work. The fact that it did work, and so quickly, was the biggest win I had ever experienced in my life.

I guess the thing is, "will it work for me?" And the answer to that is that you won't know unless you try it. Suggest you read up on it and see if what they resonates with you.

However from memory Neuromonics were claiming something like a 90% success rate, where success was defined as a significant reduction of T or impact on the person's life. As I said above, Neuromonics say that each device is personally setup based on the individual's hearing loss and tinnitus sound. I lent my device to my cousin last year and despite riding a loud Harley he had significant relief.

I can only relate my story and wish you all good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    22. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Stunning paintings !

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I tried neuromonics. I don't think I benefitted as much from this as I do notched white noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      Hi No Mood, can I ask how long you used Neuromonics for? They recommend six months. Did you have the full analysis and setup?

I was down near Geelong in March when I went down the Great Ocean Road. Wonderful Countryside.

25. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @runnerbloke , Neuromonics is not designed to cure T. It is just a tool to help with habituation. Neuromonics does only two things: plays music correcting by your hearing loss curve, and adds some noise at different levels during the treatment. Main goals is to quiet the limbic system. It is considered like a friendlier way of TRT because the sounds offered are easier to like (TRT is based on white noise generators). Your case is exceptional and even the Neuronomics staff will be surprised of your results.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      runnerbloke

runnerbloke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 - 2005
      @sunshine, as I said it's ten years since I was treated so my memory is hazy. I do however seem to remember them saying the goal was to cure T. I remember what you say about aiming to quiet the limbic system. One thing I definitely remember is them saying the program was effective as the brain was trained to create new neural pathways. I distinctly remember them saying the program was completely unlike TRT and did not involve habituation.

But as I said above, I really don't care about the science as long as it worked. And work it did. Whether my case was exceptional I don't know and I don't recall my 'coach' expressing great surprise at the elimination of my T.

What I do think though is, as others have mentioned here, that much can be gained by not overly stressing about it. Easier said than done. I certainly did stress. Big time. But now, after Neuromonics, when I occasionally think I hear a little whining signal, I am very comfortable with it and don't panic. I treat it as a minor anomaly and within a short time it's gone.

My wife has now started hearing some T but she is a very laid back accepting person and is not concerned. Does not even want to try my Neuromonics device as she believes it will go away on it's own accord. That's great if you can think like that. I couldn't and it nearly drove me crazy so I believe I got my life back because of Neuromonics.

At the moment I have a very noticeable floater in my left eye. I have had minor ones for years and never bothered with them, but this one is bad. So - I can either monitor it all the time and drive myself crazy or try and ignore it, focusing on what is really before my eyes. I think I am making progress.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. mandi
      Wishful

mandi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      • Like Like x 1