Curious Tinnitus Observation — At Night the Volume Always Reduces

Discussion in 'Support' started by hearandnow, Mar 29, 2019.

1. hearandnow

hearandnow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22 January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nightclub
      While my tinnitus has not gone anywhere over these past couple months, I've noticed something too interesting not to post: at night the noise always reduces.

Granted I'm in a quiet room, so maybe the lack of sound has something to do with it--but during the day, if in the same quiet sphere, there is never the same reduction. Could it be something to do with blood pressure and, if so, would a massive push to lower mine yield effective results?

What do y'all think?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. cj5suzy

cj5suzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you have high blood pressure? Blood pressure is lower at night and when your relaxed. My tinnitus is always loud multiple tones in both ears. It does seem slightly lower when i first get up in the morning and loudest before i go to bed. I have to retreat to my quiet room to give my ears ( not me) a rest. I can never get a rest from listening to the ringing of course but yes i would say mine does go down slightly at night

3. Willysolman
      Aggressive

Willysolman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown maybe shout in ear
    4. TEAnnitus

TEAnnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, probably earwax
      Yep, same here. Tinnitus always goes very quiet at night.

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think it has to do with the lack of sound at night. During the day even if you think there is total quiet, there is still background sound from distance noise etc Also it may have to do with the way we breathe, which is deeper and more relaxed when we are dozing off and during the sleep.

6. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Same but if you hear something loud at night, does it spike or go haywire?

It does for me. Then, I have to wait for it to calm down. Otherwise, it seems to be a similar pattern to the rest here. Calms down a bit at night (if no loud noises are around/happening) and is also a bit lower after waking up (hopefully, in the morning).

Even though our tinnitus is subjective and unique, it's interesting that we seem to have some similar and common patterns now and then?

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There must be something about sleep. I think noise when one is asleep affects less, at the same volume. It can wake you up maybe, but the body reacts different. It may have to do with emotions or the lymbic or nervous system, and the filters it links to sound.

8. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      Hmm, tinnitus is so strange. Mine is always worse at night. Are you in a different environment in the daytime or does that make a difference? Is it when you lie down or just in your room? My position and location don't seem to have any effect. Maybe diet - something that you eat in the daytime - maybe slightly allergy?

For a while in the beginning, my tinnitus was dead quiet until I opened my eyes in the morning. That gradually became less - like I had tinnitus as soon as I was awake eyes open or closed.