Current Tinnitus Research, My Simple Reengineering Approach etc...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wojtek Kalka, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      Hi there, well I have a tinnitus as long I remember, for about 23 years now, sometimes with spikes, sometimes with very quit (subjective feeling) phases.I got it after a very loud hard rock concert. It took me six month when I got it to learn to ignore it completely. Went from one doctor and treatment to another. Three weeks ago I was at a concert (with big earplugs) and still next day, maybe together with an ear infection my tinnitus got 100% worse. Now I hear it all the time and everywhere even over loud music. Well I learned to live with it for a long time and I will manage very fine, it may take me some month to rehabilitate it, and I am very very strong person .. well life taught me there is no other way.

Still somehow this is not satisfactory AT ALL. Since the tinnitus got worse I researched for last two weeks all information, treatments, etc and all I found is kind of the same nonsense that was out there 10 years ago ... or 20 years ago .. not many scientific papers are out there, research is very uncoordinated, there a tons of people and doctors - who should at least be ethical people - overpromising, underdelivering and stealing peoples money. I really have no idea why most websites, except this and some very few are overaged. And where does all the millions research money vanish? Well I lived and worked at the university a long time .. and know that some things just do not give results, anyway from disclosed protocols and papers things won't get better.

There are some minor approaches on coordinating efforts, but did not find anything that combines organisations and universities together and rarely publishes something openly from Russia over China to USA, Uk, Germany ..

As scientist and ethical hacker this is very very disappointing ...this has definitely to change to help people, and it is kind of interesting how many people have ear problems theses days from Chinese to Thai Forums, Russian ones ...

Well a bit about my reverse engineering, some approach on my tinnitus, no idea how other people do it but finding the right frequencies is a nightmare, I am a musician, playing four instruments, still recreating the tone .. which has elements of a sinus wave at 9600hz, also contains some at lower frequencies about 6000hz and 72000hz. When I do a sinus swipe from 1000hz to 7000hz, my tinnitus gets masked for about 30-45secs. Mostly I use the best software generators, with quite good headphones. I will invest in some JH Audio custom soon. The problem is that I have a hard time remembering frequencies, and everytime, I try to approach or recreate my sound it changes or vanishes.

Some notes on treatments The audio modulation stuff that came up and is distributed around after some studied where I can not find a proper paper yet from the German science research center in Juelich, I consider pretty much bs, it does make mine worse and how I read from the internet a lot others peoples too or it does nothing at all. Well as I know Germany research center a lot of projects are made to capture money from the EU, the government, make the center look good publish a nonsense paper and that is it ... anyway enough ranting there ...

If I listen to 2400hz and to the octave above it at 4800hz, a different tone sounds through for about 10-20 secs then vanish . . there a lot other observations too, like if I move my teeth together the sound goes up or pull down the skin on my face the sound goes even higher ... kind of funny some sine sweeps have to become like a drug for me because it makes everything silent for a very short time :p .. well I try to avoid it and rehabilitate the sound which is definitely a better solution. The vargas nerve stimulation video is interesting but it does not do it for me either, have to try acupuncture one day . Did your baselines go down sometimes or always up?

Well do not get me wrong, I will live awesome with or without this sound, which does not conclude life would be nicer and it would help a lot of other people in finding a better way,. and as written as scientist I want a cure ...

What did you guys do to test your tinnitus? Btw the funny thing is that my musical equipment about 6-7k eur is a lot more sophisticated and modern than most doctors I come across.

In my humble opinion it is time, not only about ear research, that universities publish everything and most of all -> all the sophisticated papers online. Maybe we should create a platform where people publish science research from all over the world.. actually create a clinic that goes well funded and publishes everything openly and coordinates other research ... ... as said maybe 100+ million people worldwide suffer from it, millions of dollars get drowned and everything stays the same ... welcome to the real world ...

Is there a website except this that collects information who is doing what? Look at the uk or american organisations all of them are written for the lamer and I have no found any information from universities like Regensburg who have a big research center online. Anyway I do not believe good research can be done in Germany (some experience) because it is way to hard to get permissions to do anything .. yes I know apologies from my ranting it is just my opinion ...

I actually like this forum here, wonder how many scientists in that field are online here. I bet some of them surely have a tinnitus too. Just some thoughts, what do you think about the situation?

• Like Like x 2
    2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      10 years ago they promised a cure in 5 to 10 years. Merry go round... tinnitus is Satan's joke on us.

Are the German researchers incompetent?

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Wojtek Kalka check out the bimodal therapy work underway various places, especially including Susan Shore's unit at the university of michigan.

Whether or not this leads to an effective treatment is still a question mark, but it's pretty obvious to me that the animal work they've done is built on fairly contemporary imaging tech and neuroscience, and was therefore impossible as little as a couple decades ago. They have a pretty convincing model built of exactly how the DCN rewires itself following a noise trauma, including an explanation of the neurological differences between subjects with and without tinnitus following trauma. So, yeah, someone is probably always going to be saying "a treatment in 10 years!", but it's pretty obvious that from a nuts-and-bolts perspective, we know a lot more about this condition than we did 10 years ago.

Having communicated with Dr. Shore, I know that she strongly believes that audio therapies lacking the electrical component, are pretty much a waste of time. I'm not certain I entirely agree, but she's a respected neuroscience PhD and professor, and I'm just some dude who likes to type a lot.

• Like Like x 4