Custom Earplugs Question (I Find They Don't Reduce the Noise Level as Much as I Expected)

Discussion in 'Support' started by mjf009, Sep 2, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      I just received my custom ear plugs today which fit very nicely. However I find they don't reduce the noise as much as I thought they would. For instance I can hear people talking quite easily.

Anyway I brought them to use in a noisy pub / club so does anyone think they'll be ok to use in a noisy environment?

They do reduce the sound level but not as much as I thought they would.

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @mjf009: What's the reduction rating on the plugs? 15db? 25db? Are the plugs filtered, with little mesh screens in them?

I have filtered custom plugs by Etymotics and the filters are interchangeable. 15db doesn't block much but 25db blocks a decent amount. Solid plugs block more than filtered ones.

3. mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      Hi LadyDi mine are 30db but not filtered there solid. So they shoud be quite good at blocking noise. Maybe just have to try them somewhere and see how good yhey are. Id say there more like 15db doesnt seem to block out much.

4. Honey_Bee
      Barefooter

Honey_Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hi @mjf009! I thought the exact same thing when I got my custom musician earplugs. I have the 25dB filter as well as the solid plug. I emailed my audiologist immediately because I was concerned how it felt I could still hear everything really well. But they work like a charm! I love wearing them at concerts, the music sounds really clear and less intense. Best purchase ever!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The benefit of custom ear plugs is that they reduce sound levels evenly. This means music and speech are clear and natural, not muffled as with other earplugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. mjf009

mjf009 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / ear infection
      Thanks guys

Yeah makes sense. Should be good for me to use then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @mjf009: A solid 30db plug should work fine. I wouldn't stand next to the speakers if you go to a club, even with plugs, but I probably don't need to tell you that.

I love my custom plugs. They are so much more comfortable and effective than foam. They are worth every cent I paid for them.

• Like Like x 2