Dangerous Decibels?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hello,

I'm now accommodated with this new guy who is quite loud - loud door & cabinet shutting e.g.

I know there's a difference between a sudden noise blast and a loud sound lasting for some period of time.

Main question: How loud do you think the dB range ought to be to cause a tinnitus spike?

I also have hyperacusis.

Thank you for your attention.

Jiri

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Over 80 db
      Love glynis

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      It can be lower if your hyperacusis is bad enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. marc 1974 london

marc 1974 london Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise i think ? stress
      my son screamed in my ear today, blimey that was a shock, he was in pain his head stuck so had to scream which to me is worth it somehow.... 80db seems quite loud for a spike? mines set off emptying the dishwasher and clanking plates........

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sounds like you have tinnitus and Hyperacusis.
      Loud sounds trigger your tinnitus but your ears are sensitive to some everyday sounds also like the dish washer and plates.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I guess that is my case then. Some people around here are considerate, some just aren't and speak very loudly.
      Exactly same here.

I heard that overprotecting your ears is no good, but I'm still in in my 2nd month of recovery and the last thing I'd want are any major setbacks. The worst nightmare - a permanent tinnitus spike.

Last night was quite loud with people dropping things and primarily the nurses dragging loud trolleys around the corridors.

I'm considering sleeping now with earplugs in. Do you think that's a good idea?

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been sleeping with earplugs in for years before I got T. I paused for a couple of months when I got T. These days sometimes I insert them if I wake up during the night (to protect me from the noises my neighbours might make in the morning).

If you are able to get your mind off of the sound of your T (that you will hear more clearly once you insert the plugs) and fall asleep, it will likely help you to wake up less often during the night.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Yes, so something stupid happened today. I was reading an article http://audioconsult.com/services/specialized-testing/noise-induced-tinnitus/ and there is a line saying: "Many patients report their tinnitus to be above 3000 Hz (a very high pitch)." and so I went on youtube to get a picture of what this sounds like
      3000 Hz 3 kHz Sine Wave Sound Frequency Tone
      Normally, my volume is always low at 5% max, just in case but this time it was at 50% and I got to hear that high-pitched frequency loud for at least 2 seconds before I turned it off. Now my own tinnitus seems to be aggrevated! Damn it. Do you think it's a spike? If so any wild guesses on how long it may last? Or is it that I'm just stressed-out now and worried so much that my T spiked as a result of that?

10. Canadaman

Canadaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bar for two hours + levofloxacin + stress
      Jiri, could you edit your post to link that video with a pre-warning to tell people to set their PC volume to minimum first?

Because you could give people the same problems you got.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Fair point. Unfortunately it doesn't let me edit the post anymore. I guess people will have to use their common sense and lower the volume first after reading my post. Should they decide to click the play button.

Thanks for answering my question anyway.

12. m4gnus
      Joyful

m4gnus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I did the same as you, how are your tinnitus now?

13. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That sucks, had that happen while watching a video on tinnitus a week ago. The speaker sound was way way to loud. Then I checked the wattage of my little speaker set and it says: 60W. This room is 2m x 2m so if this speaker set where to go off at full volume, my hearing would be obliterated. So I today got rid of them and got the 10W Creative T10 speakers. I would recommend buying a low wattage speaker set.
      Also I checked the decibels with a decibel meter, and the volume right infront of these small ones would be 60 at medium range at medium volue, but very upclose the decibel rate goes up to 75 db. I moved them further away from the desk now because thats another hazard. Be safe.

14. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Tonight I worked quietly in my garden, while some moron suddenly came straight to my site on the bulldozer with the wild hum of the motor, I think there was at least 100 dB and also the squeaking of the brakes.

I was 15 meters from that.

Here is the devil. What it is? I've never seen this before. Loud sounds are like they are being pursued.

I got nervous and scared.
      Tell me, is not it dangerous?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, as of now it's not good. Pollen in the air is causing me some nasty allergy reactions.. I kept sneezing and blowing my nose like crazy till 4 a.m. When I woke up, my ears were making "cracking" sounds when I swallowed. Yea.. u?
      Yeah, I understand. Careful with those speakers. I now only use those built in speakers in my laptop monitor when listening to music on 1/3 volume. Will continue to do so until there's a cure for tinnitus. Stay safe too, bro.
      Understood. It's almost summer time here so lots of dirt & super bikes around where I live. Hate it. If you think you know the distance and sound level at 1m from the source you could use the inverse square law calculator to get some idea what sound level actually reached you. It helps to calm me down sometimes. Also, I think you'll be fine.

Check it out: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Acoustic/isprob2.html