Debating Dental Crown

Discussion in 'Support' started by michaelbio, May 12, 2016.

1. michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      I had root canal on a tooth a few years ago and never put a crown on it. Part of the tooth cracked and had an opening. My dentist can probably fill it, but he recommends a crown.

Dental work is agonizing enough for tinnitus suffers. I rather take the risk of the tooth dying completely than making my tinnitus louder.

Anyone have any negative experience with tinnitus getting a crown?

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You need the crown there is nothing to debate. The tooth will be dead, with time it will break. You need the crown to protect it. If you don't have the crown and the tooth breaks you'll need a whole replacement for the tooth (bridge or implant). Those are basically even bigger dental procedures so just go for the crown!

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You should be fine having it done as don't need to drill I don't think and not as bad as a foot canal....lots of love glynis

4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yep, getting a crown is easy, he'll just have to drill a little bit (maybe) to have a perfect fit, but that's not long.

Keep your own natural teeth as long as you can, it's very important.

5. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes he will need drilling for the crown. For a crown the natural dead tooth is filed until it looks like the tip of a pencil. Then they glue the crown on it. But still, way less fuss than he would need for a bridge or an implant :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @michaelbio:

Check out my post and this entire thread on dental work and tinnitus:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...estions-and-experiences.826/page-2#post-30473

I have had extensive dental work done since I came down with tinnitus in 2013 (including a crown) and have been fine. My recommendations, and some from others, are on this thread and give you tips on what you can do to minimize risk.

Bottom line: If you have a decaying tooth and your dentist suggests a crown, you need a crown. Sooner rather than later. If you let it go, you really will have a mess on your hands that will require even more dental work. I know because prior to my first crown (before tinnitus), I opted just to have a large filling. Eventually, decay seeped in around the filling, and half my tooth broke off. I did not delay the second time I was told I needed a crown.

7. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Please get the crown and save your tooth.

The alternative will a dental implant procedure and you really want to avoid that if possible.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      michaelbio

michaelbio Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Teenager
      Thank you LadyDi. The only issue I had with tinnitus and the dentist was with a new dentist who was using a ultrasonic cleaning tool, rather than manual de scaling. Thanks for all the advice everyone, looks like the crown is the best option.

9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      So glad you decided to go ahead with the crown. This really isn't a big deal thing dental wise. But it is so important to save the tooth or molar before the crack goes down to far and cannot be saved.

I understand very well the hesitation and fear. If I can do it anyone one can. : )

They will make a mold of the tooth than send it out or some now make them in the office. Then it is simply put over the tooth and some small adjustments are made. Usually very little drilling. It is important to make sure your bite feels correct after the crown is fitted.

After that...you won't even notice it.

Good luck. Don't delay this too long....

10. BBQBLISS

BBQBLISS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ultrasonic cleaning
      The crown is fine. The drill the dentists use are fine. The drill is rated by RPM (revolutions per minute.) Drilling the teeth for a cavity or crown prep is fine. The ULTRASONIC machine is rated in FREQUENCY. (hertz) The sound waves are in the dog hearing range. This high frequency polarizes the nerves in your jaw under each tooth. Thats why people complain about T when the ultrasonic machine hits their crown. The crown is a metal conductor and whacks the nerve under your crown. Then whacks your brain as the jaw nerves travel up near the ear and into the brain.
      It is not an ear issue , it is a brain central nervous system issue.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I am waiting for them to invent a crown we can wear on your heads that will not only distinguish us as royalty for enduring the rigors of tinnitus but will make it go away.
      Hope springs eternal.