Definitely Getting Better

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by docwithT, Jun 19, 2016.

1. docwithT

docwithT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, Stress
      Hey everyone!

I joined this group a few weeks ago and have been lurking around reading the success stories posted on this group. I have never introduced myself or posted before but felt I should share my experience as it might potentially help a fellow tinnitus sufferer especially a newbie.

I am a medical doctor (just finished training in internal med) from India and I have tinnitus since the 13th of May (had hyperacusis since April but didn't think it was serious then). My tinnitus is most probably due to a combination of chronic sinusitis related eustachian tube dysfunction and noise induced. Extreme anxiety, long work hours and sleep deprivation also might have played a role in precipitating the loud bilateral ringing that started last month.

When I first heard the ringing I thought it might be due to ear wax and ignored it. Over the next couple of days it kept becoming louder and louder to the point that I could not even focus on a conversation and that is when I realized that this may not be the benign tinnitus that disappears in a few days and all hell broke loose. I had a full blown panic attack and kept crying and telling my parents that my career in medicine and my life as I know it is over. The terrible isolation, hopelessness and anxiety of the first 2 weeks was indescribable.

5 weeks in and I am at a much better place. I notice the tinnitus only about 4-5 times a day and it does not cause the emotional distress it used to earlier. The panic attacks have subsided and I am sleeping well again. I have resumed work and will start my sub-speciality training next month. Tinnitus is extremely variable in its presentation and response to treatment but these are the things that helped me.

1. Get an ENT consult: My audiometry and all the other hearing tests were normal and no wax either. As there are many causes for tinnitus, getting professional help and getting it early is important.
      2. Steroids/ Caroverine (Tinnex)/ Nicergoline: Steroids are reported to help some patients if started early and definitely reduced the intensity of my tinnitus. I took a 10 day course of Caroverine and nicergoline but not sure about its effectiveness.
      3. Meditation/ Breathing exercises: I signed up for yoga classes and meditation and I feel this was the most beneficial thing I tried. More than the tinnitus it was my anxiety that needed fixing and this took care of it.
      4. Managing sleep deprivation: Sleep deprivation was increasing my tinnitus and anxiety and I took zolpidem for a week. However sleeping pills are not a permanent solution and sleep hygiene measures like maintaining a routine and a fixed time to sleep, disconnecting from all digital devices and Tryptophan rich food in the evening works for me now.
      5. Family and faith: My family and my Catholic faith gave me strength and hope when I had none. It is important to surround yourself with people who understand and keep you from falling into an abyss of despair.
      6. Work: When I am at work and with my patients there are entire hours together that I don't notice the tinnitus. Also working with people whose illnesses are far worse than my tinnitus gives me perspective and prevents me from irrational and faulty thought processes.
      7. Protecting my ears: I wear foam ear plugs whenever I expect loud traffic and recently watched a movie with it on. My hyperacusis is getting better but I am cautious and don't want to risk my hearing as my career depends on it.

The things that I have listed here are nothing new but reading success stories (I used to read one every morning) and keeping a positive frame of mind is far more important for beating the tinnitus than medicines. This is not a life threatening illness and I think exaggerating the magnitude of the problem and incessantly worrying about it is the hurdle that most people face in the first few weeks. My tinnitus is still present 24 x 7 but much quieter now and while I sometimes worry about the day my T will spike again, I have decided to move forward with my life and my career. I pray that all of you find the strength to overcome this. And remember the statistic - almost 80-90% people with tinnitus get better!

• Like Like x 7
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. dudeguywithstuff

dudeguywithstuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety
      Thanks for these words of encouragement, man. It's always a huge help to acute sufferers to hear stories of folks who were able to adapt and move on!

• Like Like x 1
    3. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure

I am glad to hear your success!
      It's great to see success stories and really can boost other sufferers frame of mind, so thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
    4. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      So having T for 5 weeks now entitles you to give us advice on how to overcome it?

C'mon Doc. -- Don't patronize us. -- Talk to us after 6 months (if you even still have it)..

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AndreaM

AndreaM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @John Meyers that's kind of rude don't you think?

Having T for "x" amount of time doesn't entitle anyone to give advice. But learning to overcome T (whatever the given amount of time you've had it for) certainly entitles you to help others who have not overcome it. Especially those coming to this particular forum for advice and stories of positivity.

Be nice. It might even help your T.

• Agree Agree x 5
    6. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I thought it was excellent advise.............. Thanks @docwithT

7. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think he is being rude by saying that he overcame it in one month and is now an expert on T. -- Give me a break..

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      P.S. I don't disagree with his advice and ALWAYS wish everyone a speedy recovery. -- It just rubbed me the wrong way and I read it when I was having a bad T day..

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Flowerlover

Flowerlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, not hearing related
      I think he/she is on a journey as we all are and that is what he is sharing. Re-read the first part and have some compassion. He/she was a mess as most of us have been.