Dentist Tomorrow. Any Hints?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scottrock, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear infection or loud music
      I'm heading to the dentist tomorrow - need a filling. Still early days on this T journey and whilst I am feeling stronger emotionally, am worried that the associated drilling, etc may set me back or indeed make it worse.
      Any hints on how to approach what would have otherwise been a routine visit pre T.
      Cheers, Brett

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Scott,
      Ask him or her do small drill bursts instead on long one.
      Don't plug your ears as just makes it louder as it's inside your mouth.
      Flick your teeth and will see what I mean.. lots of love glynis

3. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      Well you can get foam earplugs and instert them half way in - won't get amplification

4. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      what Glynis said. I've been through more than a few fillings and a root canal and I've never left the dentist even with a temporary spike. A lot of people report that that the numbing agent used actually lowers your tinnitus, so you might actually be in for a treat of a lower T day. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. Relaxing will be the hardest part. But I will have a good chat to him before he goes ahead. A low T day - that would be nice!!

6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      • Like Like x 2
    7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Plugs, headphones, don't work thanks to bone conduction. Plugs may damped the drill a bit, but not much.

8. lolkas

lolkas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don`t know
      My chiro uses soecial drill on my back and having plugs half way in does not enchance boe conduction and dumps sound by approx 15db, which wors quite well. If plugs are all the way in - bone conduction

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Muffs work better than plugs.
      I tried to wear plugs and muffs but the drill sounds got even more amplified inside my head. So I took out the plugs and wore only muffs.

Tell your dentist about your condition. I explained it to my dentist, and so we worked out a system where I raised my hand whenever I needed a break. She also used a smaller drill because I couldn't handle the big one. The procedure took longer (and I would think harder for her) but I was lucky because she's patient and understanding.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah! All sounds like fun. Thanks all - I'll let you know how it goes.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What a day! Serious spike this afternoon, accompanied by a headache, then off to the ENT for him to tell me what I already know. Indeed I was able to tell him a few things. Then to the dentist- a new one - nervous like never before - explained everything to him and he was terrific - did the filling with minimal drilling. The intensity of the spike due to stress more than what he had to do. On the way home to relax and see if I can't bring the volume down.

12. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      D'oh! Sorry to hear you spiked, man! Did the spike happen before the dentist?

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Glad to hear the dentist went well for you and now that's out of the way I'm sure tomorrow will be a better day for you....lots of love glynis

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys. Yeh! Spike started before the dentist. At home now doing some couch time, watching some brain dead TV - just what I need.

• Like Like x 3
    15. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      A little late but...I think you needed to set the table with your dentist up front and tell him you have tinnitus.
      Tell him if you believe after his procedure, he is responsible for increasing your tinnitus, you will key his Mercedes.
      That will ensure he takes necessary precautionary steps. ;)
      Good luck.

• Funny Funny x 2
    16. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I did that but you know what ? The Mercedes had a diesel engine. So I left it there.

17. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Foncky, are you saying that the dentist is ignorant about cars (not unusual) and he is already being punished because he has a diesel engine in a MB? :D

18. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yes.

I just hope he was less ignorant about drills :sick:

You know that my country is 90 % diesel, right ? Awful. But totally off topic, once again.

19. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      What country in Europe are you?
      You do know why the US has so few diesels right? We have tried this experiment before. Of course the public like you doesn't like diesels which are in many if not most trucks in America...if they can afford what you call petrol and we call gas. If you wonder why US has such outrageously sized engines compared to Europe aside from taxation due to engine displacement like you have, its the price of gas. At one time gas prices in the US rose to $4.00+/US gallon.
      Now its at $2.30/gal or so. Cheap. In Europe its almost 3x's that much and why small displacement diesels are so prevalent. The average driver doesn't need a 2.5 ton vehicle and 400hp to commute to work which is common in America. Honestly its stupid and wasteful. There is only a finite amount of petroleum in the ground. None is being imported from outer space. ;) I have owned vehicles with real big engines to under 2 liters. I have always enjoyed driving small displacement cars more anyway.

Quick diesel story. A few years back I was on vacation and took my custom cruiser motorcycle out for a romp that I built and I stopped at the gas station because it was low on gas. I didn't look carefully at the pump....you probably know what coming....and I filled the tank up. Put the kick stand up, put it in first gear, pulled in the clutch, fired the motor and it ran for about 10 seconds and then it died. It wouldn't restart. I then looked at the pump and saw I filled the gas tank with diesel and of course it was a gas engine. After a few choice words with the barely English speaking gas station owner who didn't have the pump properly marked, long story short, I pushed the bike across the street and called a buddy for some tools and removed the tank and drained it and flushed out the throttle bodies...it was fuel injected...and very fortunately it eventually fired and bellowed smoke which seemed like for a long time. No damage to the motor and I dodged a serious bullet and repair bill. Suffice to say, I look a lot closer at the pump now for any vehicle I am driving.:)

20. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Back when I had just T I would make my dentist drill on and off as to limit the amount of time exposed to it,I would always refuse to use the ultrasonic laser and made them use the less loud and high pitched drill,my dentist fucking hated me lol.I had braces at the time so visits were quite regular which was a pain in the ass but overall I never once experienced a spike or any adverse affects from my dentist,not even once.

Sadly with this severe H dental visits are an unimaginable nightmare now,my last appointment in December is what I blame for me getting worse,earmuffs/plugs made things worse so had to take them off and I limited her drilling time to no more than 20 seconds at a time.I also took a boatload of NAC/Magnesium and B complex before leaving none of it made any difference,to me that NAC and supplement stuff is pretty much horse crap.

Diesels are for pensioners,I bought a diesel Audi A4 a few years back,great car but sold it less than a year later and bought a petrol,2.5L 6 cylinder turbo charged guzzler instead,much more fun:D

21. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      The same. I had many dental appointments this year, which left me worse.

France. For a long time, petrol/gas was way more taxed than diesel. No wonder you have a lot of big engines and big cars in the US, this is so cheap and your roads are large... All the contrary here !

22. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Exactly. Roadways and gas price different accounts for the dramatic difference in vehicle size, displacement and hp.
      America should tax their gas more which would be a disincentive to purchasing massive vehicles with 5.0L V8.

Some wonder about the 'cruiser' motorcycle phenomena in the US. As you say it is largely because America is a big place with lots of distance between locations and the roads are relatively straight. This is why a foot forward and heavier motorcycle is preferred by many....a rolling couch basically and you will laugh, many have a larger engine displacement than the std car in France. My Victory Vegas was a 1.6L V-twin.
      By contrast, European motorcycles have their foot controls more rearward, are shorter wheelbase, much lighter and handle much quicker because of all the curvy (and more fun) roads throughout Europe. Ducatis are my favorite.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After spending 6 years in the Middle East I spent 2013 back in Australia and had forgotten how high the price of petrol was/is. Headed back to the Middle East in 2014 - still here- where with the price of fuel means you can drive anything ya want! Toyota must love this part of the world - Land Cruisers are the made mode of transport.
      I used to be a sport bike person, ZZR and then R1. After a couple of spills, went for a Harley. Haven't ridden in a few years. Before developing this current condition I was planning on buying a dirt bike and getting out in the desert here with a couple of Kiwi mates who do so. That has been put on hold.
      The dentist did drive a Merc! Was a fairly humorless gent so I refrained from any jokes about what I'd do if he hurt me!

24. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      @Scottrock your toyota comment reminded me that ISIS seem to have hundreds of them! Not good PR for Toyota lol.

25. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Not good PR ? You kiddin'. It shows that even the dumbest people on earth can use these cars effortlessly for years in difficult environments !