Developed Hyperacusis After Over Two Months with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Charburchar, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all, just going to post here to get some tips/advice for dealing with hyperacusis.

I seem to have developed hyperacusis over the past week, a few months after tinnitus. It has come across so sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, and today it really overwhelmed me to the extent that I had a full on breakdown over the phone to my mum.

Outside noise is fine, cars, bikes, wind, etc. I go for a jog and the noise around me has no effect. However inside is another issue. The sound of switches, cutlery, doors, and sudden loud noises, disturbs my ears, and phone calls make them feel really sore. Sometimes they also feel "full" like there's something inside them!

My mum has purchased tumeric, ginkgo biloba and vitamin C supplements for me. Has anyone used these? Did they help? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I've had some success with CBD, curcumin, and fish oil. However, supplements are largely hit or miss with a lot of missing.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Turmeric & Ginkgo didn't do anything for me. Vitamin C is good to take in general if you're deficient but I can't imagine it will do anything for hyperacusis. A keto diet might not be a bad idea to test out if it is all inflammation.

Many people suggest taking Magnesium and B12 for hyperacusis. Some theorize that hyperacusis is caused by some sort of inflammation in the brain. I have also seen it being mentioned that hyperacusis has a lot to do with central gain, and our nerves. B12 is great for nerve function, and magnesium has been proven to decrease nerve pain and relax the muscles.

If you've been under a lot of stress/anxiety from the tinnitus, CBD oil can also work wonders, as it will calm you down and help your nervous system calm down as well. I am currently looking into ordering some for my anxiety.

An audiologist explained to someone in a Facebook support group I'm in, that the fullness is often experienced due to the fact that the trigeminal nerve works hand in hand with our Eustachian tubes. The trigeminal nerve isn't influenced by sound, but by our nervous system instead.

So basically you hear a sudden sound, and being several months into T and being on forums you've already read a ton of times "noise is bad, etc" so your brain already has that association of sound being dangerous. Your trigeminal nerve is activated by your response to sound, which in turn, affects your Eustachian tubes and giving you that "full sensation". It all ties in with the body being in fight or flight mode.

Unfortunately Hyperacusis still remains a mystery, but thought I'd share this as it came directly from an audiologist.

Sounds like dishes clanging together, silverware, or even phones can be aggravating even for people who don't have H, let alone for someone who's probably a bit distressed. I have the same issue, and I honestly just listen to my body and if something sounds loud/annoying to my ears, I just try to avoid it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Turmeric and ginkgo did nothing for my hyperacusis. CBD Oils and magnesium are good calming agents. Hyperacusis is a beast. It does what it wants to do. I am sorry you have this condition as tinnitus is enough. I’ve had it for almost 11 months. The items you listed sound loud some days and normal other days. Sound therapy did not help but it may work for you. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I would try green tea, raw garlic, raw onion... this stuff is anti inflammatory. Salad with olive oil... just follow a healthy diet.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Charburchar

Charburchar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you all so much for the responses. I'm going to take the supplements and see how it goes. I've ordered magnesium and B12, and I'll also try the natural anti-inflammatory stuff.

• Like Like x 1