Did Acupuncture Make Your Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Apr 2, 2016.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I had acupuncture for the first time and my T has been spiked since then and its been a few days. The doctor is urging me to continue but I am hesitant.

I'm trying to understand what could be happening. On one hand tinnitus can be over active neurons firing away in my brain and the acupuncture may have touched a related nerve and caused even more over activity. On the other hand, I have heard a few cases with people doing LLLT where it can cause tinnitus to be louder in the beginning and it's a sign of the healing process beginning.

Has anyone experience or heard of acupuncture worsening T?

2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      I read an article once where the therapist told the client the T would get worse before better.

3. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Did the spike start right away after the session or was delayed by a few hours/half a day ?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      its hard to tell because I have reactive T and so it spike when ever I go out even tho I wear ear plug and ear muffs. But normally it drops after and hour when I get home and this time it didn't and it was spiking more than usual while just laying down in the quiet room for 30mim for the acupuncture session. Oh, they also use a infrared light lamp aimed at my abdomen at the same time. during the 30 minute session.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where did they stick those needles ? behind the ear ?
      maybe they hit one of those noise- damaged nerve. That would also mean a bit of pain from time to time not just high T..

Don't see how acupuncture could lead to any permanent damage - or improvement for that matter

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you have reactive T/H I would consider giving LLLT a try instead. My reactive effects are mostly gone by 80% and it was quite bad a few months ago.

Won't cure baseline T but habituation will be a lot easier once the reactive part is out of the picture.

And sound quality better too

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, its my reactive T that keeps me locked up 90% of my life. My baseline is no sweat. Its the reactive that prevents me from from using a mere telephone, hear any sound from a speaker, that includes music, tv's and moves, and even a trip the super market. Did you go to a clinic for LLLT sessions or did you buy a laser that you used yourself?

8. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had huge issues with phone calls too..my T would go crazy especially smartphones and even on the smallest volume setting with a finger on the speaker.
      Reactive T means your nerves are still damaged - LLLT helps with nerve healing but it takes time and the sessions have to be done right...right power, angles and time, frequency.

Steroids help too.

I bought my own device but if you can find a clinic that does it then its good too.
      You don't need to do it everyday - twice a week on a powerful - 500mw laser or LED diode , 15 minutes thats's all what is needed .

I still wear ear muffs outside - no plugs though - and plan to do it for a year but that's for giving the ears a chance to heal and just a protection from sudden big noises.
      It may end up to be longer than a year but I'm used to it now and I don't care that much naymore as long as I can notice see some slow progress

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, steroids did help me in the beginning but my blood sugar started spiking so I had to stop.

I would go to a clinic but my reactiveness prevents me from driving more than 5 miles and being outside is just really heard. If I dont wear ear plugs and ear muffs, I damage my ears, if do, it isolates the ringing.

What Laser do you suggest and a good place to learn how to apply it properly?

Not may people here have this type and severity of T so its hard to get any suggestions. Did anything else help your reactiveness?

10. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also take NAC, L-Carinitine, vitamin b12 and ATP , CoQ10 the usual stuff not sure what it does

F0r light therapy to really work you would need at least 500mw pulsed and only the luck laser has that at an affordable price range.Too low and it won't penetrate deep enough to even reach the places you need and take forever to notice very minor improvements.

Also, you may want to look into better ear-muffs..overall the peltor x5a are better they cut bass much better (car, planes) and work better for reactive T than the ones I can see on your pic - which I also bought before

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I saw 2 acupuncturists close to the onset of my t over 2 years ago now.

I was given herbs and weekly sessions of acupuncture for about a month each time.

I didn't notice any demonstrable effect on my tinnitus volume either way. At the time, I was hell bent on a cure, so I didn't see the value in continuing.

What it did do for me was calm me down. The very thing we need. Probably would have benefitted from continuing at that time for this improvement in my cns.

I am currently receiving acupuncture for another health issue. It definitely helps with my anxiety and sleep issues, that I had long before I developed an awareness of t.

I am going to continue with acupuncture long term not because I believe it will cure me, but because I believe it grounds me.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Where is the best place to learn how to apply it properly like angles and position? From a thread or video somewhere?

Those are my second pair that I use when I want more comfort at home like when the garbage truck rolls by. When I'm out I use Clear Armor which are rated at 34db and they are not as noticeable as most ear muffs. I'll check out a pair of X5A's.

13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      for LLLT topic we have a lot of discussion on the LLLT thread.. the idea is to share as much info as possible

14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Has your t settled down yet?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just a little. Its not the way it was before yet. I'm afraid to have another session. So I'm just waiting it out. It's like I'm back to square one 9 months ago but a little worse.

Thanks for asking, tho.