Did You Hear a Very Loud "Pop" in Your Ears When Your Hyperacusis Began?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Orions Pain, Mar 7, 2020.

?

Did you hear a loud pop in your ears when your hyperacusis began?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I specifically recall a loud pop in what I believe to be my more "sensitive" ear. I can also recall hearing a weird noise, kind of like what you hear in a seashell, for about a minute. I also got dizzy and felt a bit of vertigo for as long as the seashell sound lasted. The inner ear controls balance so clearly something happened with this POP, and my loudness hyperacusis isn't just "anxiety".

My hearing was sensitive from the beginning. I remember my bus pass sounding way too loud when I got on during week 1.

At exactly 3 months, I started experiencing TTTS. A few weeks following that, burning/menthol sensations that started out in my ear (outer portion) and has progressed to my forehead, cheeks, and neck. Things still sound way too loud - particularly voices, clapping, any sort of "sharp" sounds like dishes, laughing, pulling of scotch tape, etc. I've been avoiding loud noise and even moderately loud noises so I'm not sure why things keep getting worse for me.

Within this time, I have also developed mild pulsatile tinnitus.

I noticed today that if put a plug in my "sensitive" ear, I can tolerate sounds a lot better overall, for example was able to join a conversation with coworkers earlier without wincing. But then my "good" ear started thumping and didn't stop until I got home and wore ear plugs for an hour. My sensitive ear also seems to react to sounds even with the ear plug in.

Is anyone else going through something similar? The pain in my face today was absolutely terrible, I almost had a panic attack at work but when I put in ear plugs I managed to calm down a bit.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

No my tinnitus came out of nowhere while driving. I tried masking it immediately the first night as I was just reading about it online. Every color of noise I tried and music made it worse. After a week or so I found out about hyperacusis and realized this was why.

No pain at first, loudness hyperacusis only and came on gradually till serotonergic drugs prescribed to “help” made the tinnitus and hyperacusis go crazy!!! Things calmed down some once I got off these meds but then began to get mild pain, tingling and the menthol feeling from noise exposures after this. My pain hyperacusis is mild to low level moderate when it’s more sensitive. I remember one day I drove over some rumble strips drifting off the road and for several days my hyperacusis was super sensitive.

Sorry for rambling lol.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yeah mine came outta nowhere too. I went through the same exact thing, nothing helped mask it because it's a "sand waterfall" kinda sound, so if I play ocean sounds or anything it kinda just rides over it.

I'm at that "menthol" point now, worried about it progressing to pain.

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

My hyperacusis is in my left ear. TTTS issues in both ears. Tinnitus in both but actually mainly the right ear. Usually left ear I can only hear in a quiet room at night. Right ear fluctuates like crazy all day every day.

It’s odd I guess but my perception is the more noise exposure I have that causes discomfort or pain in my left ear the louder the tinnitus gets in my right.

I see you are considering quitting your job. I have not worked since this all happened and I’m stressing over the need to find work now. I worked in the MR/DD industry and clients can tend to have issues with loudness so even in the case of working in the office clients are in and out on a regular basis. Thinking of trying to become a Amazon prime package deliverer or something. Hoping maybe only brief periods in the warehouse with the rest of the day on the road may be a good choice. I can’t really stand telephones so work from home jobs with calls for communication doesn’t really work for me. Even speaker phone just makes my ears ache and have a feeling or discomfort deep inside.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Wondering what that pop in my ear was. Had to be something in the inner ear/vestibular since I specifically remember feeling a bit dizzy.

Also my loudness hyperacusis seems to be less of “everything is louder” but moderately loud noises are just 10x as loud. So when people are speaking in normal voices, I can tolerate it. But once they start raising their voices it makes me uncomfortable.

I can tolerate showering but someone banging a spoon on a plate makes me want to vacate the premises

Wondering how much the pains in my neck tie in to my hyperacusis/tinnitus. Is the pain in my neck a bi-product of the hyperacusis?

Does my jaw hurt because I’m clenching from stress? Or am I clenching from stress because my jaw hurts from nerve pain from acoustic trauma.

I hate this condition SO much.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That is interesting.
      My hyperacusis seems to be mainly in my left ear.
      Fullness only in the left.
      Clicking and popping when chewing happen in both, but never at the same time in both ears. It will be either in the right or left.
      TTTS only in the right ear.

Burning/menthol sensation concentrated in my forehead and jaw area.

7. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      What’s the MR/DD industry? I am also struggling to work because of hyperacusis and been thinking of new options, but unfortunately my hyperacusis is bad enough to prevent me from going out, hence being on the road is definitely not a good choice for me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
    9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    11. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It says within 2 years he was wearing earplugs and he also subjected himself to an MRI... you will recover because you found this forum early...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Ok, let's pretend it doesn't exist... ;)

14. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      When I listened to headphones one day (the volume was low) some time ago, I heard this loud popping sound in my ear. After it, I have had ear burning sensation (that had been gone for many months) and horrible reactive tinnitus. I have had symptoms of hyperacusis before but it had got easier. I have no idea what that loud popping sound was but after it, my symptoms have been worse. I am so stressed about this.