Did Zinc and Fish Oil Cause My Difficulty with Sleep Last Night? Or Was It Just a Random Occurrence?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Komodo, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Komodo
      Disappointed

Komodo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Stress
      Yesterday I had started to take Zinc and Fish Oil supplements.

I have very mild tinnitus, I can sleep with it all fine but last night when I took some Zinc and Fish Oil I just slept for about 5-6 hours and I had a really bad time getting to sleep.

Now my question is: Did that happen just because I took some of those supplements at night or was it just a bad night's sleep?

Also are Zinc and Fish Oil good for tinnitus?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had been taking those two supplements, and I never noticed that doing so made it harder for me to fall asleep.

3. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I take these supplements too but I had insomnia prior to that. These supplements didn't make my insomnia worse.

Iron, Vitamin D, zinc and magnesium deficiencies are often talked about here. Generally, vitamin/mineral deficiencies can have an overall negative impact on your body, that includes tinnitus. These supplements are unlikely to cure your tinnitus, but if you have a deficiency they can improve your health and possibly tinnitus.

Fish oil is rich in vitamin D and essential omega-3 fatty acids, it is also anti-inflammatory. Your body needs omega-3 but can't make it so fish oil is a good dietary source. Fish oil is also beneficial if you don't get sufficient amounts of vitamin D from sunlight, especially during winter months (unless you live near the equator).

It's probably a good idea to have your vitamin D levels checked to see if you need this supplementation. You don't want to take too much.

4. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I take 60mg of zinc daily and have no trouble sleeping. I used to take fish oil but it gives me agita but no problem sleeping.

5. binsonica

binsonica Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck treatment
      I also had problems sleeping when I took Zinc! I've tried it only 2 times and both times felt very agitated and restless. I guess it depends on your organism, maybe we overdosed with zinc or something. Or it could be related to the extra ingredients in the pills.

6. Dave555
      Alienated

Dave555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power tools
      Even though this is an old post, I thought I'd mention that zinc plus Omega 3 seems to be working for me. It's only been about a week, Fish oil, zinc, and vitamin D. Bear in mind I'm not a doctor or qualified to give medical advice, but taking an "effective" dose of Omega 3 might be the key. The portion that is provided over the counter is generally very low, at least according to this guy:
      How Much Omega 3 Do We Really Need Per Day?...
      So according to him, taking one or two capsule of 300mg a day is negligible. Anyway, I'm taking 5-6 capsules a day, some zinc, and vitamin D, (plus Saw Palmetto which is for prostate health) and now I generally vary between little no ringing in my ears. My situation originated from sound trauma, so this might be something that just helped me. When I do feel effected, I then focus on the tone, trying to hear it more, and it tends to go away, and it feels more like a "mental vibration" rather than the actual high pitched noise I had. I'll post back in a few weeks if this regimen continues to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Vitamin D3 can cause insomnia when taken in high amount. Just take it in the morning rather than before bed and you should be fine.