Diet's Effect on Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Shay O'Connor, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rey

Rey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I know how debilitating tinnitus can be and have suffered from tinnitus myself. It may seem like the noise will never go away and that you will be stuck with it for the rest of your life, this is not true. There is relief, it just takes patience. Ill explain how I was able to cure myself, however keep in mind that everyone is different. Tinnitus in itself is not the issue... tinnitus is brought on by some other underlying cause... it is your body's way of saying that something else in your body is not right (sometimes the cause has nothing to do with your ears because tinnitus is a perceived sound).
      1. Before you go to the doctor for prescriptions, try to fix the underlying cause. Prescriptions tend to not work or only work short term or make tinnitus worst down the road. Prescription drugs also create a series of other side effects that may be chronically harmful to your health. Think back along the last couple years and come up with a list of issues you may have experienced, whether it be dizziness, headaches, ear fullness, low blood sugar, feeling faint, stomach pain, heart burn etc... Also think about any changes you recently made... new job, more stress etc...
      2. Think of all the ways you can fix those issues. I can say that I have experienced all of those symptoms and most of my cure was through my diet. The main objective was to stop inflammation and reduce headaches. This is especially important for people who notice ear fullness or cloudiness and inability to think straight, fatigue etc...
      3. These are the dietary/ environmental changes that I made that cured me from tinnitus. I encourage you to try them all simultaneously if they are applicable to you. The first 3 days that you have started to make these changes, you will feel worst (its like a detox process)... dont give up because you will feel amazing after that. Its also best to slowly stop eating the foods that should be avoided.

a) for plugged ears and tinnitus: check the humidity level in your house. Keep it within 35 to 55% using a dehumidifier. This is why we feel worst during the spring and fall (change of season).
      b) avoid unhealthy carbs (for this you may need to do some research): our bodies do require some carbs... those healthy carbs are found in vegetables... thats it! Whole wheat bread is not a good source of carbohdrate, neither is whole grain pasta... it will exacerbate the issue. eat fatty foods instead (fats are healthy for you in the right form), quinoa is a good replacement for rice
      c) avoid sugar at all costs... this includes pop, syrup, candy etc... keep in mind that milk has lots of sugar (fruits contain sugar and are healthy, but try to limit yourself to 1 a day and eat a fruit first thing in the morning)
      d) drink lots of water, especially after eating salty foods, try to avoid eating foods with salt in it and dont add salt to your foods either, add lemon to your water (its a natural diuretic and will reduce tinnitus and ear fullness)
      e) dont purchase anything in the center aisles from the grocery store (if it comes in a box, can, bag... dont eat it)
      f) stay away from msg and preservatives
      g) try to eat less daily, small portions (stop eating before you get full)
      h) exercise often (more than 3 times a week)
      i) look at food labels, if there are more than 2 ingredients, it probably isnt healthy, also if you dont know what the ingredient means... its probably also bad for you... eat whole foods, not manufactured junk

my food schedule looks like this:
      breakfast: oatmeal (steel cut oats - not quick oats) with soy milk and cinnamon (yes it tastes horrible but you get used to it)
      snack: plain greek yogurt with more than 0% fat, add your own fruit, flavoured yogurt is sugar
      lunch: a salad with lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, add whichever fruits you like, do not use salad dressing bought, make your own (olive oil is the only healthy cooking oil), add dijon mustard
      eat some almonds throughout the day
      supper: eat either chicken, ground beef or turkey, salmon, fish with vegetables cooked or raw
      when i crave sweets i eat organic peanut butter
      snack on vegetables whenever you want

coffee: i am unsure of the effects of coffee on tinnitus, but I avoid it and drink tea
      alcohol: has very bad effects on tinnitus, try to avoid as much as possible

again, none of this is fact, but it all truly and honestly worked for me
      i feel the need to share because I was once in your position desperately searching the net for some relief
      be patient and your hearing/ tinnitus will come back if your willing to make some major life changes

As a result of these changes, I am also less moody and tired, and have lost weight and feel healthier

• Like Like x 4
    2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      nice post thanks for sharing @Rey
      for inflammation what do you think of turmeric/curcumin?

3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Rey
      Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
      I have put a lot of weight on since my t started 3 years ago, never had any hormonal or insulin issues but now I do, unfortunately.
      I'm researching into paleo diet which is very similar to what you did.
      Healthy diet may not cure or improve t for everyone but it will definitely improve general health.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Rey

Rey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      @valeri yes the paleo diet is what I focused on mostly. I think that's a great place to start!

@Rube I have tried including ginger/ turmeric in my diet and it did not have a negative effect on my tinnitus. It contains anti oxidizing properties that are excellent for reducing inflammation. I'd suggest adding it to your food. Black pepper is also good as a spice to add flavor to your food.

I tried supplements as well... And they didn't seem to improve my tinnitus. There are many ingredients in supplements that are not properly listed on the labeling... Some may be more harmful than beneficial.

5. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Rube
      Every morning I drink this thing called ginger shot.
      I juice one apple and a thumb size of ginger, ➕➖tumeric, I use it for hayfever but I know it's good for other things as well.
      Really peppery but not too bad.

6. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      hi @valeri i take curcumin with biopene and i have to say since i started taking it i have generally just felt good and all those nagging little aches and pains from the daily grind just disappeared. i dont think it did anything for T or H though but its worth checking out.
      this is what i use
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HK6FGIS/?tag=tinntalk-20

7. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Same here. Major caffeine user--almost at IV level.:p (Just kidding!)

Seriously, I did reduce caffeine significantly when I got tinnitus, hoping it would help but it did not. I've almost returned to my pre-tinnitus caffeine levels, which helps me stay productive. But I'm cutting down on all carbs, including no more mochas or soy lattes, to see if this will help with my fluctuating tinnitus.

That said, here is an article from 2012 that found neither caffeine nor carbohydrates influenced tinnitus annoyance. (But I'm still trying low carb, anyway; and I wonder why tinnitus levels weren't also considered?)

Int Tinnitus J. 2012;17(1):21-5.

Evaluation of factors related to the tinnitus disturbance.
      Valente JP, Pinheiro LA, Carvalho GM, Guimarães AC, Mezzalira R, Stoler G, Paschoal JR.

Abstract
      INTRODUCTION:
      The perception of tinnitus varies among individuals. The limitations caused by tinnitus are related to psychological factors, mood changes and psychiatric conditions, while other factors related to discomfort caused by tinnitus are being studied. Hearing loss is an important factor for the onset of tinnitus.

OBJECTIVES:
      To evaluate the correlation between the degree of discomfort caused by tinnitus and the hearing loss level. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study of the patients treated at the Otolaryngology Service of the State University from Campinas for 15 months, using the Visual-Analogue Scale to classify the degree of discomfort by tinnitus.

RESULTS:
      107 patients were studied and there was no correlation between the degree of annoyance of tinnitus with hearing loss, age, gender, presence of dizziness, of neck pain, headache, changes of the temporomandibular joint, the use of caffeine or excessive intake of carbohydrates. [emphasis added] The discomfort was slightly higher in patients without hearing loss and in women.

CONCLUSION:
      Dizziness, neck pain, headache and caffeine abuse are prevalent complaints in patients with tinnitus.

Reference:

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Rey

Rey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      @jazz I don't think carbohydrate alone is the trigger. I am thinking it is a combination of sugar and carbohydrate and excessive protein consumption (anything that elevates insulin levels rapidly). These are all known to increase inflammation.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AnnaW
      Vegged out

AnnaW Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    10. Jarvik

Jarvik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      That's a relevant point: "If you believe the government."

Read the book "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills" by neurologist Russell Blaylock. He discusses in great detail how the research that lead to the FDA approval of these excitotoxins was deeply flawed. To name but a very few flaws: one study force fed monkeys so much food that the monkeys regurgitated most of the their meals and therefore didn't ingest the quantities of substances stated. This same study then dissected and analyzed a different area of the monkeys' brains than those areas that were the highest risk for damage from the toxins. Shoddy research like this permeates the entire approval process.

This shoddy research combines with decades of cronyism that exists between the FDA and the medical and food industries. The roster of the FDA is a revolving door that ensures their key positions are staffed with former industry insiders, most of whom return to industry to reap the rewards of skewed FDA policy created under their watch.

I place very little weight into the assurance that a substance has been blessed by the FDA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Roger Wolf
      Arsey

Roger Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1014
      So a doctor recommended me i change my diet to include more veggies and less bad fats & salts. Currently it mainly consists of junkfoods and sugary drinks which apparently increases blood pressure and thus tinnitus levels.

What foods do you avoid? What foods are recommended?
      Here's what i plan on eating in the next few months

Drinks
      # 2L of water a day

Veggies
      # Brussel sprouts
      # Brocolli
      # Beans
      # Cucumber
      # Potatoes
      # Sweet potatoes
      # Chili peppers
      # Green peas
      # Ginger
      # Advocados
      # Tomatoes
      # Onions
      # Garlic

Meat
      # Organic calfs liver
      # Organic chicken
      # Herring fish
      # Wild Salmon
      # Sardines

Nuts
      # Walnuts
      # Almonds
      # Cashew
      # Brazil nuts

Fruits
      # Blue berries
      # Red berries
      # Bananas
      # Kiwis
      # Oranges
      # Mangos
      # Apples

I'll post a report here each week on the progress, changes etc.

12. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Your body is an excellent doctor, and giving it what it needs can cause miracolous results. Be patient. Dont expect results over night. I have great faith in this.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Brussels sprouts. I avoid Brussels sprouts. Nothing to do with tinnitus; I just don't like 'em.

As far as tinnitus goes, there is no way in the world that I would let my tinnitus dictate my diet.

There are lots of reasons I can think of to avoid a diet consisting predominately of junkfoods and sugary drinks. But none of them has anything to do with tinnitus.

stephen nagler

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I also do not like Brussels Sprouts. Was always told they taste just like cabbage. :eek: Not sure about that! Drowning them in cheese is the only way to take 'em on. Either way, I agree with the Dr., don't let your T dictate your diet or much of anything else and the happier you will be. Of course, eating healthy, especially if you do not, will have a direct benefit on your overall health and well-being. It will also probably have an indirect benefit with your T. You are what you eat!

15. felinefine
      No Mood

felinefine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      many years, but much worse after acoustic trauma in 2014
      Yes absolutely. Diet helps me big time. I always have spikes from the inflammation that starchy or processed foods cause. I see improvement in my ears when I eat extremely well. It's a slow process, but very worth it to me.

@Roger Wolf everyone has their own thoughts about what diet is best (paleo, high-protein, plant-based, etc.) and due to our bodies all being different, and our lives being different, I think it's best to do what works in your lifestyle, and what you feel you can tolerate. However, I will tell you that for me this has meant avoiding sugar number one, and processed foods number two (even gluten-free processed foods). Adding in fat like avocado, and MCT oil (similar to coconut oil) has also helped.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My overall health is a lot better -- and my T is a bit better -- if I go to a mostly low-carb, almost zero-flour diet.

Unfortunately, I like cake a little to much to stick with that long term... sugar is, literally, the most addictive drug I know.

17. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Suspect vit d deffeiciency stress high bp ,prediabetic, high stress
      Some of the items are high salicyclate that may cause tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think this is a problem for me, because taking significant doses of aspirin doesn't cause any issues.

19. sanjay doodani
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Then it's fine

20. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Haha, yes I think this is very true. I have for years thought about going on a "clean" diet with no added sugar, and thought that trying it for the sake of reducing Tinnitus would be enough motivation to do so, but even that hasn't been enough so far to overcome those cravings. If Tinnitus can't force your conscious brain to let go of added sugar, then it really is addictive.

• Like Like x 1
    21. sanjay doodani
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I find high sugar intake and proceesed food and apples cause me worsening t

22. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      http://www.ehealthme.com/cs/gastritis/tinnitus
      If you dont eat right you can get bloating, discomfort and ultimately gastritis, or more serious complications.
      These complications can lead to tinnitus or elevate your T as well.
      I just got a case of gastritis and my tinnitus has been the worst ever. Im experiencing bloating and pain. I started eating broth and burping up a storm. Some of the belching was so dynamic the T went down with the release.
      Can you imagine how that felt to fell the T go down with belching. The T comes back because I still have the digestive issue. The big question is how the T is when I cure the digestive complication.
      No sugar no salts no bread watch the carbs. I know it sucks but it may lead to dealing with this hideous disorder in a better fashion.

23. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      An H. pylori infection may cause:

• stomach pain
      • nausea and vomiting
      • loss of appetite
      • weight loss
      • stomach ulcers
      • stomach cancer
      • iron deficiency anemia that does not respond to treatment
      Autoimmune AG can lead to B12 deficiency, with symptoms of anemia, including:

• feeling weak
      • lightheadedness
      • dizziness
      • chest pain
      • palpitations
      • tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
      B12 deficiency can also cause nerve damage, leading to:

• limb numbness and tingling
      • unsteadiness when walking
      • mental changes

• Like Like x 1
    24. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you for posting, tested positive for hpylori!! Any very concerned about the antibiotic treatment causing my T to spike.

25. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      i got really bad b12 vitamin defiancey and zinc , could this be the reason for T? :0

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      well, the "all beer diet" is not a useful tinnitus treatment.

27. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Since you mention you got T from loud music I would say no. T almost always comes from hearing damage one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Maybe not but it helps me cope 2x a week ;)

• Like Like x 1
    29. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that being deficient in various things (notably magnesium, but probably lots of other things) probably makes people more likely to end up with the sort of neurotoxicity from noise exposure that leads to tinnitus. Certainly, the Israeli studies showing that soldiers who took regular mag supplementation were less likely to get hearing damage / T from firing guns, is a strong nod in that direction.

However, if that's what's going on, trying to supplement with things after damage has already occurred seems unlikely to help. If anything, at that point you'd need to supplement with things that the body needs for the healing process to work, which is probably why people are so gung-ho on NAC.

30. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      I thought that NAC was also one of those things that supposedly help against damage. Multiplie studies, like this one seems to imply that: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22122955

• Agree Agree x 1