Difficult Time

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ears Hurt, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      I guess I am starting to lose it. I always had hope this would go away or subside in some matter, but I've come to the realization this is for life. I didn't sleep much. I haven't since getting this dreading ringing in the ear. My life is hell now. It just seems to get worse and not better. The sound makes me crazy as much as I try not to focus on it, and the fact that my ears feel weird on top of it. It is like the sound is vibrating them. Does anyone else get that same sensation? It make me want to stab a knife in my ear. I just needs some support right now and words of encouragement. Has anyone got relief from the pressure in your ears. Does this ever get better? :(

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Sorry to hear your having a tough time with your ears .
      You could try steam inhalation to help clear your tubes and might ease the pressure.
      Tinnitus can be tough going and finding out it's going to stay can be hard get your head around.

The main thing at the moment would be to get some sleep trying sound therapy or natural sleeping medication or something off the doctor to help your mood also as it's hard be happy when tired and worn out.
      Talking therapy is a great support and helps offload emmotional stress and support groups also if one in your area.
      If In the UK you can ring the BTA to find if their is one in your area.

Make sure you keep your doctor updated how you feel and get your ears checked for wax build up and hearing tested.

You will get support on here around the clock too....lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Glynis.

I've had my ears checked and my hearing tested. The 5 ENTs I went to all say my ears are fine, but they don't feel fine. I also had my hearing tested too. My normal hearing test came back as fine. I had some high frequency tested too with only mild hearing loss.

The doctor tried giving me a few different medicines but they all make the ringing worse except for valium. I had to get off the valium cause I've been on it for too long.

The steam inhalation you mentioned is that just breathing in steam from a boiling pot of water on the stove.

I live in the US. Suggestions on good doctors in Maryland?

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Put hot water in a bowl and a towel over your head and breath in the dream and it should help you.
      Glad to hear your tests were ok .
      ...lots of love glynis

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do that now in a steam shower. I don't ever notice any improvement, but I'll try the hot water in a bowl with a towel over my head. My ears just feel damaged. Does this ever get better?

6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Hi :) Some people recently have been talking about a gluten-free diet helping to reduce their volume/symptoms. It's on the Alternative Research thread near the top part right now. If you've never tried something like that, maybe it could have a helpful effect. It's pretty easy to do and could be worth it to give it a month-long trial and see if you get any relief. :)

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sleep deprivation is a big factor in aggravating T as well as stress and anxiety. The vicious circle of T-anxiety-sleeplessness->worse T->worse anxiety & more sleeplessness needs to be broken somehow, perhaps by using meds or taking herbal stuffs. Have you taken anything to help sleeping better? If you are not using any prescribed drug for that, perhaps look at the natural alternatives, such as Catnip, Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, Melatonin etc. You can google search each of them to know their use and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/library/articles-on-herbs-and-health/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

Also have you tried masking the ringing especially at sleep time? If you haven't you can try using a sleep machine or sleep pillow, or if you have PC speakers look at these sites for nice masking sounds:

TT's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: http://mynoise.net/

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Path Maker. I never heard of going gluten free for tinnitus, but its worth a try...

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Billie48 - I do have a sound machine for masking my tinnitus at night; however, sometimes the tinnitus over powers the sound machine. When that happens, my anxiety goes through the roof. I have the worst times falling asleep and staying asleep. I'll try your herbal remedies too. Thank you for the suggestions.

10. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Keeping my fingers crossed for you and sending hugs!