Difficulty Learning English with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shamala Rosario, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Shamala Rosario

Shamala Rosario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Looking for some advice for my husband who suffers with chronic tinnitus so has a continuous ringing/buzzing noise.

He is a Latin American who speaks Spanish and needs to learn basic English listening and speaking for his visa but cannot hear the words fully so incorrectly pronounces the words.

He is really struggling as his tinnitus is louder than the conversational words. He relies on facial expression and body language to fill in the gaps with Spanish but cannot with English.

Just wondered if anyone else with tinnitus and hearing impairment has been able to learn?

I have been advised by his tutor that tinnitus is not a disability so he should just be able to do it.

Fortunately I have never suffered with it so cannot truly understand the impact it has on peoples lives but am witnessing my husbands frustrations and difficulties. Many thanks for any advice.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've learned a computer language (abap) since my onset. So learning is possible. My tinnitus is not nearly as bad as what you've described here though. My heart goes out to you and your husband. You are a good wife and he is blessed he has you.

Just fyi, there may be a hearing loss cure coming out soonish.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Your husband's tutor is an idiot..
      Tinnitus can be a huge disability (depending on the severity level), but it is hidden away from plain view.

Focusing and reading could be very difficult at the level which you describe for your husband...especially trying to learn and remember new information could be a challenge.

You should get a different turor, but maybe I'm wrong about this guy.
      Maybe he can demonstrate his exceptional skills at blocking out discomfort and perhaps learn the Russian alphabet, while you are holding a cattle prod to his balls at full charge....if he can do that, I would give him another chance at tutoring your husband.

I'm not trying to be funny, but that is roughly the physical equivalent to severe Tinnitus.

4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have severe tinnitus but I can still hear words clearly. Perhaps your husband needs to have his hearing tested and possibly fitted for a hearing aid.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I like this answer. Hearing aid is probably biggest hope of what we have available.
      You could also try written English+American Sign Language if he is able to focus on this.

• Agree Agree x 2