Disco Club Invitation — Should I Go?

Discussion in 'Support' started by emerald2015, Nov 20, 2015.

1. emerald2015
      Gloomy

emerald2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi everyone! I have an invitation tomorrow night to a house music event in a disco. I used to like these events and attended to them before my T suddenly appeared 10 months ago with no explanation and no hearing loss according to all the tests. I got scared and stopped attending to any loud music events. I read about hearing protection but it is kind of embarrassing for me to wear ear plugs I guess. My question is, do you think it is dangerous if I expose myself to loud music (which I have done before and at this level nothing has happened) considering that my audiogram shows no hearing loss and my T cause is unknown? I have attended to only one event since my T started, for about 2 hours. I had a spike for 48 hours but everything came back to normal afterwards. This makes me think there is an irritation there but no real ear cell damage, right ????
      Thanks a lot!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi,
      Unless you wear noise reduction plugs I definitely would not go .
      If the music is way to loud you can get sound causing problems through your mastoid bone and damage your cochlear hairs causing perminant damage like by speakers...lots of love glynis.
      Mine are clear plugs

3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Even with the best ear plugs it's still a NO NO!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If It was me ,no way would I risk it too @Richard zurowski ...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Asvalian
      Chatty

Asvalian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      25/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at the moment, prob hearing lost/stress.
      It's hard to say, from a "logical" and more protective point of view I would advice not to go to such event, however and depending of how you can handle your tinnitus (how loud it is, that sort of thing), I would say to go, BUT with earplugs, otherwise you are just exposing yourself to a situation which could potentialy damage your ears.

On a side note, constantly living your life in fear it's not the way to go in my opinion, that's why the best advice I could give is to sit down, think of the possibilities and all kinds of possible situations and then decide whether or not it's worth the risk.

6. makethemgold

makethemgold Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Go. Wear earplugs, but go. Live your life.

7. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Dont go. It's not worth it. Or if you do. Wear double protection. Foam plugs/muffs-. And take breaks

8. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is using a condom on your embarrassment list too?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      emerald2015
      Gloomy

emerald2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      No, but among everyone in a club I believe I would be the only one using ear plugs ...

10. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The volume levels at these events can be harmful even with earplugs. Do you have any indication that the volume will be regulated (<103 dB or something) in any way? If not, I wouldn't risk it.

If you do decide to go, take breaks, don't get near loudspeakers, don't let anyone scream into your ears and wear properly inserted foam earplugs for the entire event. These plugs shouldn't stick out of your ears.

Protecting your ears is a wise thing to do. Don't feel embarrassed about it. If someone feels the need to point out that you're not conforming to the norm, ignore them. They have no right to tell you what to do. Be yourself. Do what you want.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      emerald2015
      Gloomy

emerald2015 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      What I do not understand is whether there is any difference between me who has tinnitus with no hearing loss and a normal person who has no tinnitus and attends to a club and has no issues the next day, or perhaps just a mild temporary tinnitus if the noise was really loud?

12. One of the benefits of getting older is that invites to disco clubs go way down. Seriously though, if you decide to go wear ear plugs. I suggest custom concert plugs by Westone. But no plugs? Nah, not worth it IMO.