Distorted Sound While Playing Piano

Discussion in 'Support' started by Atticus1234, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Atticus1234

Atticus1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Hi, I have had tinnitus for years now, and I notice when I play acoustic grand piano I often hear distortions when I play.

I would like to know if this indicates that the sound is too loud for me and is damaging, or if it’s likely just a symptom of hyperacusis due to my tinnitus and that I can therefore safely ignore the jangling in my ear and continue playing?

My hearing has been tested last week and is completely normal, and I dont notice this distortion with softer sounds and other instruments.

Am I causing more damage by playing piano now? I measured the volume at 80 dB, and it still causes distortion in my ear.

I know I HAVE damage already, the question is am I causing MORE damage?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'd be surprised if you did inflict more damage from simply playing the piano, but clearly your ears are reacting to something.
      Have you thought about going electronic? I play drums with an electronic drum set and I can set the volume to very reasonable levels.

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      did they tell you that you have no hearing loss?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      bro, where are you at? we are supposed to be a team. Im risking my health over here for the cause. I need your help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I have this at very distinct points along the upper octaves. It a good indicator of where the damage lies across your sound spectrum. It isn't new damage being done, its a reminder of old damage already done. Just live with it and don't escalate over it. There's no point.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Atticus1234

Atticus1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I'm tending towards the conclusion that its just old damage. I only hear it on certain notes. John Adams- They said I have no hearing loss, regarding hearing damage no one can know whats inside my ear but based on my tinnitus there must be some.