Diving Board Eardrum Damaged

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by _Memo, Jun 27, 2017.

1. _Memo
      Speechless

_Memo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving board from 20 meter on my left ear i came to thewater
      Hello guys,

My name is Memo and I am from the Netherlands, and I have currently a sound in my ear, I don't know if it's really tinnitus or just an error in my ear.

I have it since 21/06/2017 it happened at swimming around 15:00 PM. I was at the diving board and I tried to dive in from at least 10+ meter diving board.. this is crazy stuff I know and it's my own fault.. So after I failed to dive inside the water, I lost body balance so I came with my left side of my face to the water, my ear was totally hurt.. I didn't know what was happening but I didn't know you could do so much damage, okay from your head it's a bit different but from your ear.. it's a sensual spot. So in the night round 19:00 my pain stopped, but there came yellow things from my ear like yellow moisture and a bit blood that day but not really much and never blood again. I went to the doctor that day when it happened and she said there is a small eardrum damage like its open a bit, not really big or i needed 2 go to a different doctor with more experience KNO. So I didn't get any ear drops yet.. from them they said we wait how it goes cause a eardrum cures mostly himself when it's a bit damaged when the damage is more it's harder.

So 22/06/2017 The moisture was a bit gone, I went to the doctor again he said come back after a week.

23/06/2017 The sounds in my ear kept going I heard like a crack in my ear like 5-10 times but after this day it didn't happen again the cracking.

24/06/2017 I woke up with alot of pain, alot of pressure in my ear and again yellow moisture. So I went to the general practice center (when doctors are closed they are open on the weekends) So she looked into my ear and she said there is a infection in the ear canal. So she told me to get ear drops she gave me a prescription, she gave sour ear drops but she needed to give me Aluminum acetate tartrate because sour ear drops are not allowed to use when you have a eardrum damage! But there was a infection.. so i thought i need it badly. So the pain went away and there was moisture still.

25/06/2017 I woke up early a little bit less noise from the sound in my ear no pain but moisture still.

26/06/2017 Again moisture but not alot, again the noise was a bit less, I said hello to test my ears. So after I said hello I heard it after some millisecond ''Hello'' like it came from my right ear, but my right ear is good without any problems, it was strange that I heard this sound 3 times this hello but I was the one who said hello. My neck hurts and a bit left of my throat.

27/06/2017 (So today) I woke up lit less noise again, little moisture just sometimes comes out a bit, went to the doctor and he gave me the correct ear drops and he gave me a tablet Amoxicillin capsules 500 MG. He told me to come after a week to see the results, the ear drops and this tablets destroys the infection in my ear hopefully and after the infection is gone, the yellow moisture will either be gone or drop out from my ear easier and all bacterians will be killed hopefully, and after that my eardrum will be cured hopefully cause there is no moisture or infection so it can be back closed and after that the sound in my ear should be gone he says, because I hear from the left ear which is damaged but not 100% like 50% cause of the moisture is my guess and because the eardrum is a bit open, and the sound is like giving an error to my brain because he isn't used to this. I swear it hurts to see people who live his whole life with this it's so annoying.. Like if you have pain on your body it's different then this.. this is just destroying a human.. I did watch a youtube video about a woman from The Netherlands and she was crying because nobody nearly knows how to cure this.

King Regards,

Memo

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      @_Memo
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you have this diving accident. Obviously the impact on the water has made some damage to your ear drums. I am no doctor so I can't give you medical opinion. But generally, besides getting treatment from ENTs, you need to budget some time for your ears to heal. This can take months to get better so don't be too worried about it. Try not to be too worried or emotional about it as this can add more stress and anxiety which are bad for your tinnitus. You can also search this forum with terms like 'eardrum injury', 'ear infection' etc., so you can read up on how other people deal with this. Good luck. Take good care. God bless.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      _Memo
      Speechless

_Memo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      21/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving board from 20 meter on my left ear i came to thewater
      Thanks Billie, means alot. I just made this post also so people who maybe will have this in the past so they will feel more secure/better.

• Like Like x 1
    4. nesto
      Amazed

nesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      water slap
      Hi Memo, somehting similar happened to me last sunday, I jumped from a bridge of around 5 meters height into the water, I hit my left ear when entering the water, but I didn't perforate my eardrum. I got some hearing loss and also T, the hearing loss has gone, but the T is still there.

The day after the incident I went to the doctor, cause was worried about a eardrum damage, but he just told me it only looked swollen and bruised, and that it would take few weeks to recover.

I'm a bit worried adn don't want to wait until the T becomes permanent.
      It's been only 5 days now, so I wanted to ask you:

Did you fully recover from your T Bradk28?
      Would you advice me to do something?

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Did the volume go down in volume at all?

Usually it takes about a month or even several after hearing recovery for tinnitus to go away. It has to do with the brain hopefully readjusting. This is often more common then not in ear wax removals, middle ear surgeries and cochlear implants and natural recovery of hearing, where tinnitus goes down in volume once hearing is restored.

Even in my own case after acoustic trauma, some high pitch hearing in my right ear started coming back and the tinnitus went down in volume a month after. However if 3 months tops tinnitus doesn't go down in volume you are hopeless.

Give it time, but seriously that would suck if tinnitus becomes permanent due to a fixable condition. It's less common but not impossible unfortunately.

6. nesto
      Amazed

nesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      water slap
      Thanks for your reply Contrast :)
      I recovered the hearing on my right ear two days after the incident, but the T volume didn't get down at all.
      What do you mean by fixable condition?

Yes I know I have to give it time, but just wanted to ask around, and see if maybe someone has some knowledge about first cares that might be taken in order to get more recovery odds.

Thank you.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Doens't eardrum damage correct on it's own or with a procedure?
      upload_2018-7-6_14-12-48.png

8. nesto
      Amazed

nesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      water slap
      Oh yes, I understand what you were talking about now.

The thing is that I didn't have a eardrum perforation, a least that is what my doctor said, one day after the incident. My ear just got a trauma, when entering into the water from a high heigh, I'll see a ENT doctor next week, I think I'll have a proper diagnosis then.

• Like Like x 1