Do Any of You Meditate? How Do You Handle the Tinnitus While Meditating?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi everyone,

I haven't posted here in a very long time. Been trying to stay away since my tinnitus has become somewhat mild (except spike from last 10 days).

I still hear it when it's very quiet and definitely it's close to impossible to meditate.

I am wondering if anyone meditates?

I have been trying to do chanting with white noise in the background but it's somewhat hard.

2. John B.
      Tired

John B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I started meditating about 10 days ago and I've found some benefit. I use an app called Headspace - altho there are others (Calm, etc). You can try for 10 days free. I just finished my 10th free day today and ponied up the $50 something for a year. You might want to give that a try - at least for the 10 days. I've gotten books before but ended up not reading them - the app guides you a bit which I think is a huge help.

Also - when I meditate I definitely hear my tinnitus. That shouldn't be a barrier.

3. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I haven't got to this stage yet; I'm 5 months in, not sure if it's normal to still be in this phase I'm in, but I'll just keep going. I guess walking is a form of meditation, or doing some work around the house. Anything that distracts is meditation.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      They say meditation is an amazing thing. I don't fully know how to do it, but want to get better at it...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @John when white noise in the background definitely helps .
      I repeat OM mantra loudly while playing white noise . It's not the same thing as silence meditation but it still is very relaxing and I am sure it will help me to be calm over all .

6. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hear my T everywhere except in the shower but I meditate without any extra's. So it is me and my noise. The trick is that you must think of nothing. Relax your muscles and don't listen to it. You just hear it. Focus on your breathing and listen to your heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      If you can meditate without extra then I am assuming T doesn't bother you at all when you are not meditating .

8. Ross McLauchlan

Ross McLauchlan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      16/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced due to music production and motorbikes.
      I quite often meditate, sometimes in groups, sometimes by myself. The classes I attend are pretty big, so the sound of so many people breathing through their nose at one time is kind of like a masker.

Any class I've attended, the teacher gets me to focus on a single point - this is usually breath entering and exiting your nostrils, but if your tinnitus is very apparent you can try use that as a single point to focus on.

I've read stories of folk who find this decreases their T over time. Makes sense since a lot these teachings focus on accepting suffering - tinnitus is a suffering that seems to lose some of its power through acceptance.

At the very least you'll feel more calm!

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh it does. Meditating isn't always easy but I end up relaxed after meditation.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This reminded me of
      https://www.samharris.org/blog/item/adventures-in-the-land-of-illness
      "As someone who will soon release a book about meditation, the illusion of the self, and the transcendence of unnecessary suffering, I feel I should offer some account of how my own mind has fared when tested in this way. I’m happy to say that it is possible to find equanimity in the midst of unpleasant experiences like these {he is talking about tinnitus}."

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have also heard that meditation can be a good thing for the mind and body. However, I advise caution with this practice/technique. Some years ago I read an article that people with tinnitus should be careful doing meditation as it can make the mind focus more on the tinnitus and it can become more intrusive. The reason could be that meditation has to be done in complete silence. As most people know quiet rooms and surroundings are not advised for anyone that has tinnitus especially if it is intrusive. Therefore, using "sound enrichment" is always advised. My advice is to be careful.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's

Sounds like rubbish to me

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's
      You can still meditate with tinnitus no problems. Just consider it background noise. Eventually you can still clear your mind, and meditation is always beneficial anyway, even if you find it difficult.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are entitled to your opinion. People have this condition in different levels of severity. Your reaction suggests you have never experienced loud intrusive tinnitus and therefore have no knowledge of what I'm referring to.

I wish you well.
      Michael

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have very loud, high frequency tinnitus in both ears and doing meditation can be a bit difficult. Focusing and visualization is harder, when your ears are blasting like electric generators....

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is precisely my point @fishbone You are a man with considerable experience with tinnitus and can see certain problems that might occur if someone with loud tinnitus intrusive tinnitus were to try something like meditation. I'm not saying one shouldn't try but be aware that it could make the mind focus on the tinnitus more. Some people are not aware that tinnitus can be very severe.

Michael

18. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Even people that have perfect silence cannot focus on meditation...

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I am loving this meditation thread! I do find it can be difficult/scary to meditate with T, as it makes it even louder. I've been using a phone app in the background to mask a bit. My yoga teacher and I have been moving more toward meditation than yoga since my T started acting up a couple months ago. Last week we practiced a breathing meditation - w/mouth closed and tongue against back of teeth which makes noise - and it masked the T really well.

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do what works for you @Rosemerry but please remember tinnitus shouldn't be masked so that it can't be heard. If you do this the brain will never be able to habituate to the tinnitus. Whatever "sound enrichment" you are using, set the level slightly below your tinnitus. In other words, make sure you can hear your tinnitus slightly above it. That way your brain will learn to habituate to the tinnitus in time.

Michael

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @rosemary ..I meditate with my white noise on . I will never get in to deep meditative state but I am sure one point focused meditation will improve my focus and help me relax .
      It really really sucks not to feel the silence !!!☹️

22. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Thanks @Michael Leigh! I do try to do this, but thanks for the reminder. And thanks also for the link to the article about meditation and T - I printed it out to read later!

• Like Like x 1
    23. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Sean Sometimes I switch it up and do a metta - lovingkindness - meditation. I'll direct these thoughts to my T: "May I accept this. May I have lovingkindness towards this. May I use the pain of this for the welfare of others." Helps!

• Like Like x 1
    24. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the heads up, I'll use some sound enrichment just to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My hyperacusis only lasted a couple months after initial onset of my T two years ago. Lately I've been doing 30 minutes of meditation every day. I've noticed that during meditation my hyperacusis returns, even a very slight sound in the room sounds like a bomb going off. It goes away once I'm done. Does anyone know why this is? As much as I want the benefits of meditation, i'm afraid it's also making me more aware of my T.....undermining my habituation. I may have to stop. =(