Do Custom Earplugs Block Low Frequencies Well?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AZeurotuner, Feb 7, 2018.

1. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm considering having a pair made, wondering how effective they are at attenuating low frequency noises, such as riding a motorcycle, or driving a loud, gutted car at a track day event. I'd like to get 100 percent back into my hobbies, while protecting myself from further damage. I'm thinking custom plugs might be the way to go... Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
      Ross

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @AZeurotuner

You have had tinnitus for quite some time and should have habituated by now. If you had hyperacusis it should have gone too or at least reduced to a comfortable level. I don't think it's necessary to buy custom earplugs when "noise reducing" earplugs will serve your needs for the activities you intend doing. Remember, if external sound is loud enough, it can pass through your skull and be transferred to your inner ear by "bone conduction". No custom earplugs no matter how good they are can prevent his from happening.

Earplugs have their use and can be of benefit but when they are overused will cause more harm than good. They will lower the loudness threshold of the auditory system and will make it more sensitive to sound. In addition to this, some people risk developing Phonophobia and Misophonia. There are quite a few people in this forum that overuse hearing protection and it has resulted in their tinnitus and hyperacusis not improving. Please click on the links below that you might find helpful.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I mainly want them for power sports and track days, I don't intend on using them frequently. I understand that bone conduction will still allow sound through, but the disposal plugs are rather ill fitting, and I thought that maybe a custom pair would be more comfortable and possibly provide better protection against exhaust noise.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you are going to use the custom plugs occasionally as you say then they would probably be better. Good quality noise reducing earplugs are meant to be used regularly and are not supposed to be disposed of. However, if money is no object and I assume it isn't, the custom earplugs would be better.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I just don't want to take any chances at this point. I was pretty well habituated until about a year ago... A few accidents and some recklessness led to very a noticeable increase in T as well as H like I've never experienced before. I'm made decent progress though, so the last thing I want to do is cause further damage.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Remember, tinnitus and loud noise do not go well together. So if I were you I wouldn't go to the noisy events that you mention too often. Another thing. Since your tinnitus was originally caused by loud noise. I hope that you are not using headphones? Two people have contacted me in the last few days that have noise induced tinnitus. They returned to using headphones and used them at low volume. Their tinnitus has now increased and they are regretting ever listening to people that said it was okay to use headphones at low volume.

I want to make a few things clear so there is no misunderstanding. I am only referring to people whose tinnitus was caused by "loud noise". Some people with noise induced tinnitus, habituate and return to using headphones at low volume and are not affected. However, some people are. There is always a risk of making your tinnitus worse if people that have noise induced tinnitus use headphones. If your tinnitus increases, there is a chance that it will not return to it's previous level. If a person with N-I-T is aware of these risks, I cannot fathom why they would take a chance and use headphones knowing their life can become a complete misery.

Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Riding dirt bikes and racing cars is something that would kill me inside if I could never do them again. I feel like if take the proper precautions to (earplugs, quietest helmet on the market, and most likely swapping out exhaust systems) I should have an adequate level of protection.

I don't use headphones, if I do listen to music it's with external speakers at a comfortable volume. I have a mechanical white noise machine and an app with a variety of different sounds that I use for H. I wouldn't dream of using headphones...

• Like Like x 1