Do Ear Plugs and Sleeping Make Tinnitus Louder?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hve, May 24, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. hve
      Artistic

hve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music and recently a simple cold made things really worse
      Hi folks,

I seemed to have calmed down a few of my new T's I had since a few months with the help of relaxation, Yoga and other alternative solutions and most important doing exercice on a regular base (2-3 times a week one hour of footing)

But unfortunately I have a new T now (low pitch) and so must admit I'm a little desperate now. I had it since a few weeks on a few moments in extreme silent rooms at night) but yesterday when I came home from a one hour car drive some of my T's were almost silent but a new loud low T appeared, which happened to be the sound of my car motor noise and sustained for minutes and even at night came in on a few moments.

I have used ear plugs for 15 years (yes that's long!) to be able to sleep as my wife snores and I can't sleep without them that well, tried for a few months to do without and took up the ear plugs a few days ago which helped immensely to sleep. Even while my own T's are louder with it it helps me to sleep, strange but that how it is.

Now my question is do you think my T's are generated because of the use of ear drums over the years and what would you suggest. I have had a few very hard months and just started to feel a bit better and now this new low T sound really scared me, it also seem to appear more often at night too, so I'm afraid something is wrong, how many T sounds will I end up with in the end ?

thanks for your answers and input :)
      Cheers!

2. Willpowered
      Mellow

Willpowered Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection, anti depressant, antibiotic? Who knows..
      Hve, Hey I think so. The reason is because when you put in earplugs your brain is starving for sound. It doesnt have any background noise to "mask" the T either. Kindof like being in a completely silent room your going to notice the T even more. My wife snores to. Too bad it doesnt sound like ocean waves or rain...
      Good Luck.

3. hve
      Artistic

hve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Will, oh I really regret now that I did use ear plugs for such a long time. It's strange though that even when T's are louder with it, I sleep better. Also I have the impression that using ear plugs in concert halls (I'm a musician) makes things worse, maybe it protects ears but it makes T's worse I find ... cheers

4. hve
      Artistic

hve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is there a way to retrain your ears being over sensible because of the use of ear plugs over years ?

5. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      The plugs with protect you from noise, don't stop using them in loud environements. But elsewhere don't use them. You will develop sensitivity to noise, this is called hyperacusis, its very unpleasant. Do some reasearch on it :)

6. hve
      Artistic

hve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes indeed, you're right, I only use them when I can't sleep because of noise at night. I had some form of hyperacusis and still have it a little bit but I feel it's getting better & better since I stopped using them every night. Now reversing 15 years of use at night won't go away in a few months I'm afraid :)

There's some other problem using earplugs in loud environments too, especially if you talk loud or sing with earlplugs in, I felt it causes more issues to your ears then not using earplugs. So they protect you from environment noise but your own voice can cause damage to your own ears too.

7. bekker

bekker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise / festival
      The new t noise what sounds Like the motor of the car is only temporarely i think. It comes from your memory i think. I had a period i heard exactly the sirene noises from a ambulance and it was triggerd from noise outside Like the car or the shower. It faded away.

8. hve
      Artistic

hve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Bekker, yes, the lower tone seems to be better now, I only have it for long moments sleeping in a very silent room, I think my ears have become overly sensible because of sleeping with ear plugs over years and also sinusitis infections and allergy issues.

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I sleep with earplugs sometimes because of construction, cats meowing and yes because my wife snores sometimes. I haven't noticed any changes at all to my T, but I also don't do this every night.

10. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      I partially blame wearing earplugs at night for my T. I loved my earplugs although I already had mild T. They made me feel safe. Went trough major surgery and have been in the hospital al lot last year. I've read that TRT states that wearing earplugs makes the ears more sensitive to sound. The brain wants to monitor what is going on during the night and has to push up the gain when you wear earplugs. Especially during times of stress.

I only I would have known! I would have gladly stayed awake.:)

11. hve
      Artistic

hve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Same here mate ;) hope you're health issues are better now!