Do I Need a Doctor's Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mr_ron, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mr_ron

mr_ron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been woken up by a sound like my doorbell ringing for the past six months. The sound is very brief and lasts only a fraction of a second. Audio clips of the sound of my doorbell may be found here: http://www.software-path.com/bell/ .

One medical professional I talked said it could be tinnitus but another said that tinnitus wasn't usually such a short event.

I only hear the sound when I am in bed. Some days I don't hear it at all and other days I might hear it at 2AM, 5AM and again at 7:45AM in the morning.

I don't think it is tinnitus but am wondering whether I should see an ENT or GP for further clarification. Is tinnitus a realistic possibility here?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't think it is tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. SusanButcher
      Tired

SusanButcher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sometimes woken by a hallucination of a phone or a doorbell. Sounds nothing like tinnitus. I guess it's a dream telling me to wake up. I wouldn't want to hear it at 2AM, though.

4. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      @mr_ron Maybe it's Exploding Head Syndrome but not as a door slamming etc but as a ring bell? I don't know anymore about it so i can't help, but i know that there are people affected by it.

It's not a tinnitus for sure, that's the best message for you :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mr_ron

mr_ron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks to everyone who provided feedback or even read my posting. I had never heard of Exploding Head Syndrome before and neither of the two medical professionals who I consulted several times thought to mention it, so good catch. Much of what I read in Wikipedia and other sources matched my experience but not everything. I certainly view the theory as useful in understanding my problem.

• Hug Hug x 1