Do I Need to Use Earplugs in This Activity? (Summer Toboggan)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Johan Berndt, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Hi! I am going to like a "rollercoaster" activity this weekend, but it's not a rollercoaster (I don't know the english word for it)... Here's a video of what it is:
      Sommarrodel i Rättvik

I will do this thing maybe 5-10 times, and one ride takes like 2 minutes.

But my question is, as the title, do I need to use earplugs? :)

I have thought about why should I use earplugs and why shouldn't I at this activity.
      I should use it because of the wind and maybe loud noise.
      I shouldn't use it because the combination of plugged ears and the "bouncing" isn't good and it's not fun to use earplugs.
      (I have no idea if this is correct, I have only speculated)

Some info about me:
      This is my 5-6 month with tinnitus, and I would say my tinnitus is moderate. (5 on this scale, https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-loudness-scale.6873/)
      My tinnitus is from a acoustic trauma.
      I have been partying like 6-7 times and no affect on tinnitus (I wore earplugs most of the time). And 2 of these I was at a nightclub (ofc I wore earplugs in there). And no spike afterwards.
      If I stand up and bend my head to the ground, my tinnitus gets very louder. I don't know why so if you know anything about that feel free to answer that also :p
      My tinnitus has only spiked when I am really really tired in the evening.

Hope you can help me! Just ask me if there's anything you want/need to know or if you didn't understood something in this post. :)

2. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      That look like some sort of wheeled tubing activity. I'm not saying you should go on the ride but if you do what would be the downside of wearing ear plugs? You could even wear earmuffs over ear plug for extra protection.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      The downside of it is that you have this "bouncing", try to plug your ears and jump on the ground. I think it will be like the same thing. And no I don't wear earmuffs because I am going to wear a helmet :)

But why do you think that this can worse my T?

4. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If I would be going to that activity... well, it looks like it can get loud and therefore there's no way I would go without hearing protection. Mistakes (in case they lead to spikes) come with such regret and I wouldn't be willing to take the risk. I've put my poor ears through enough of crap, says T.

I think correctly inserted foam plugs would be the best choice. The sound coming from jumping you described, I think you mean occlusion effect. And that effect minimizes with the softer "absorbing" material of foam and also because they can be inserted deep enough to the ear canal.

So yeah, would definitely use those and even if using plugs doesn't feel fun, it will actually be easier to relax & enjoy the rides than worry about decibels and T..

5. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      This made me cringe. Think temporary thrill vs. possibly permanent increase in your tinnitus. Be aware. I went to a fireworks show on the 4th. It was a short show but I was too close and up on a hill. I wore earplugs but my T is louder and higher pitch (particularly my right ear) and it has not gone down so far. I would give everything I have to take back that one night.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      I have earplugs with some kind of filter, are these better?
      Yes it was occlusion effect I meant :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      The time I didn't wore earplugs was when I was like outside with a few people, then it won't get so loud there :)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johan Berndt

Johan Berndt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound
      Just wanted to update you, if anyone going to do this in the future.
      Everything went fine. I wore earplugs with a 20db filter. I had a lot of fun and no spike (I am writing this a week since I was at the summer toboggan) :)

• Like Like x 2
    9. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I did it a few times, I don't think it's loud enough for earplugs.

...but when in doubt, wear hearing protection. Why not? When properly inserted, earplugs won't fall out.

EDIT: after some thinking, I'd say no earplugs. It's not fast enough for wind noise to be an issue, and vibrations might cause more noise because of occlusion effect.

It's not loud, don't' wear earplugs.

EDIT2: And remember, ultimately it's your decision. I'd strongly suggest you take earplugs with you, and put them in if you feel it's loud after the first ride.

EDIT3: You have a break in this cart so you can use it to regulate your speed to go as fast/slow as you like. Use it ;)