Do Most People with Tinnitus Caused by Headphones Also Have Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ash_1999, Jul 2, 2018.

?

Do you have hyperacusis due to headphones or loud noises?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Ash_1999

Ash_1999 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through headphones
      Hello guys

I was wondering if most people with tinnitus caused by loud noises or headphones also have hyperacusis ? If so how do you know if you certainly have hyperacusis and are not just anxious of sounds. What was it like when you first developed hyperacusis? Also how long did it come after having tinnitus?

Thank you for your time.

2. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I think it is a bit of both... I am anxious for sounds but I also have H, but it is not that it physically hurts my ears (it did in the past) but some sound feel very wrong to my ears or the cause a spike for a minute or so,...which scares the hell out of me. Because of that I come in this circle of focussing on sound. Just like T ...if you focus to much on sound it will keep your brain looking out for it all the time...making yourself scared of sounds.
      My H almost completely went away after a long time but now it seems worse again....so I just protect my ears and hope for the best.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Ash_1999

People that develop tinnitus, whether from headphone use or exposure to loud noise, often develop hyperacusis too. Please note, each person is different so this does not apply in every instance. Like tinnitus hyperacusis comes in different levels of severity. Although a person might be sensitive to certain sounds they may not always experience pain with them. Please click on the links below and read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View & Hyperacusis, as I see it. Hyperacusis is explained in both articles and I suggest you read them in full. Since your tinnitus was caused by headphone use, I strongly advise you never to use them again even at low volume. More is explained in the links.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

• Like Like x 2
    4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      If you have a hearing loss, then it is possible to have either tinnitus and hyperacusis, one or the other or neither

Everyone is different

• Like Like x 1
    5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      When I got Mild T back in September I had no Hyperacusis, no Visual Snow, nor Dark Eye Floaters. When I obtained Severe T after Caloric test/VEMP I developed Severe Hyperacusis, Visual Snow, and Dark Eye Floaters. So there seems to be a link but it dosent have to necessarily.

• Like Like x 1