Do Not Buy a HomePod or HomePod mini — Siri Automatically Adjusts the Volume

Discussion in 'Support' started by kingsfan, Jul 26, 2021.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Just a warning to all you fellow sufferers. On both HomePod versions, Siri automatically adjusts its volume according to the ambient volume in the room it’s located in. Because of this it gets pretty loud. Even after turning the volume down with its controls and through voice command, it immediately turns itself back up on the next interaction.

Besides that, the alarm volume is LOUD and cannot be adjusted. I found that out the hard way.

Its volume is also excruciatingly loud when first turning it on.

I think I was blasted with overly loud sound at least 10 times in the 30 minutes I played with it. It’s back in its box ready to be returned. I only hope the pain my ears are in subsides with no negative and lasting side effects.

Well I’m off to take some NAC.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. James 25482619
      English

James 25482619 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I found the bass on the mini to be amazingly high - they just hurt my ears. Did you find them painful despite the volume, or was it just a volume issue for you?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      They discontinued HomePod and only market the HomePod Mini. From what I read, the volume could get out of control. Not good for people with hearing problems.

"Siri automatically adjusts the volume on your HomePod based on the level of noise in the room. When Siri isn't speaking, you can tap – or + on the top of your HomePod to change the volume."

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Yea just stay away from the HomePod and HomePod mini. It's a no-go for anyone with hearing issues.

@James 25482619, it was the volume issue. No matter what volume I would set it to, it would automatically raise the volume. There is no way to change the behavior.

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      I am joining the warning: tried mine yesterday at home at low volume (wish I'd read this thread earlier) and got the WORST spike ever (some of my spikes in the past have been horrible, but this one seems to be toppling all others). The HomePod mini has a devilishly deep bass for its size! Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!