Do You Habituate Every Day Again?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mentos, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Question to the ones who consider themselves habituated, do you have an impression you have to go through the same proces of habituation every day in the morning meaning managing your emotional reaction to T, or you rather think once habituated it's good forever? I have hours / days when I consider myself habituated, but anyway everyday in the morning and through the day I need to "remember" no to be stressed by T. It's like going through the habituation proces over and over again everyday.

Also another question do you manage to forget you have T when you don't hear it (when background noise coveres it). Unfortunately I never completely forget I have it, even when outside or in the shopping mall where I usually don't hear it I cannot fully forget I have it. Is habituation also about forgetting you have T? If so I cannot consider myself habituated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I can go a few hours without thinking about my T if I'm distracted and doing something fun or am busy doing chores or other things that occupy my mind. Throughout EVERY day though there is a period where my T is annoying and to me. I don't get anxiety about it every single day but sometimes when the volume is especially nasty or my T is generally overly reactive I struggle through. Every morning my brain searches for my T automatically and randomly throughout the day, sort of like a self check to see how loud it is.. My understanding is, once your body stops doing this that is when true habituation occurs and you just don't notice your T anymore. Hoping to get there soon.

• Like Like x 1
    3. WestCoastGirl85
      Buzzed

WestCoastGirl85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic ear drops getting into inner ear canal
      I feel like I have to learn to live with every day. Like i'm starting over. Then I remember I have done it every day and I can do it. So can you.

4. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      I can forget my tinnitus to be remembered again by increased tinnitus.
      So it is not me thinking about tinnitus that makes my tinnitus going up.
      Than with higher tinnitus levels my anxiety goes up, so I think this is lack of habituation?
      I have fixed times when my tinnitus goes up.
      Between 13:00 and 13:30 and 16:00-19:00
      It amazes me that there is no exception. Every day!

5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      blood sugar perhaps?

6. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      Not a bad suggestion. I am not sure how long it takes for blood sugar to go up (or down?) after eating.
      I have thought about this too.
      13:00 is right after lunch, but 16: 00 is just before dinner.
      I don't know yet.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Same for me. Usually evenings are the best for me I feel relaxed and say to myself that this T thing is not a big deal and I can manage it easily. And when another morning comes and first thing I hear is T I feel that another journey through the day begins.

8. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I don't have to relearn every day. And this is probably because my T is usually the quietest upon waking. I'm sure if it were louder upon waking, like it is for some people, then I probably would have to rehabituate every day. Or it simply would've taken me longer.