Do You Still Go to Movies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      Do you guys still go to movies?

The new IT movie is now in theaters and I have been waiting for it over a year (I am a huge horror fan.)

If any of you still go to movies does your tinnitus spike from them?

I have been waiting for it for so long but I may still skip it :(

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      I rarely go but I've never had any issues the few times I have gone. Regular ear plugs did the job.

The loudness probably depends on the movie theatre though. My local movie theatre is pretty old and small, probably not in the loudest range.

You can try and leave if you feel like it's too loud for you. That's really the only way of knowing.

• Like Like x 1
    3. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I don't go anymore. And it is one of those things that still get me, since I used to enjoy it so much.

Anyway, why avoid them? I continued going to the movies even with worse T. I used 30 dB earplugs and thought I'd be fine. It seemed okay, for the first three movies: Doctor Strange, A Monster Calls and Fantastic Beasts. Then I went to see the - then new - Star Wars flick. It was horribly loud and the bass just went right through via bone-conduction. I should have left, but thought "hey, I am wearing good earplugs, that is enough!" - as if.:/ All of the progress I had so far (this was 3-4 months after my acoustic trauma) got erased and my T went back to being very intrusive and loud. I don't even know whether it was permanent worsening or the longest spike I've had, since I do feel like it never went back to such healing phase again. Luckily by now adaptation has kicked in.

I'm thinking it's too much of a gamble. It's just like when I got my milder T in 2011 and continued to go to festivals/concerts. Similarly, I just thought using good earplugs would do. And they did... until they didn't. Between 2011 and my second acoustic trauma there were some heavy metal concerts, electronic music concerts etc. All lulling me into thinking "I'll be safe with earplugs!" - which again by luck was true, until it wasn't. It was not worth the risk, I now realize - after getting multiple ultra high frequency tones from an electronic music concert in last September. Earplugs in for the whole time? Stood in the back when I noticed it being loud? Limited my exposure by not staying the whole evening? Yes, yes, yes. Yet my ears got damaged.

I think the main problem is that it is impossible to know what our tolerance is, before it gets breached. Like I said, I used to think earplugs were fine; first for concerts, then for the movies - I could have been writing here how I am continuing both and my T not getting worse. But as they did both do damage in the end, I no longer see them as safe options.

In many movie theaters there is so much force esp. in the bass and way too loud volumes (it's senseless!), so I have no option than to either gamble or stay out of those places. For now, I've decided the latter. For another person the choice is something else. I just wanted to share these experiences in case they would help someone. I wish I had realized sooner that earplugs are naturally quite limited in how much they are able to protect.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      No.

I went once to concert and mildly regretted it because of bass. I was left with random morse code sounds in one of ears for few weeks because of that.

so, nope.

I heard however of cinemas that have "Family friendly" sites where light is on and volume is tuned down (however mothers can feed their babies on back of the room or change their diapers so...), but then - whats the point if I can't enjoy really loud and dark setting. I loved it.

• Like Like x 1
    5. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I went to see it on Monday, not a loud movie at all, just miss the loud trailers and then go see it, still use ear plugs though but really it's a good movie and not loud at all like action movies

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @NimQ First of all thank you for using your time and writing this long post means a lot to me :)

Same, When I got my T I thought it could not get any worse so I kept going to movies. The first 3 movies that I went (one was Doctor Strange :)) I did not bring any hearing protection with me. The movies was not loud at all I don't really get it I was just sitting there and I didn't even get the idea in my head that I should plug my ears. I think that I maybe didn't have H back then.

I saw this movie too the same day when it came out. It was so loud. I remember the bass was so loud in the action scenes. (I saw this movie at a bigger theater) My T did not spike, maybe for an hour but not a major spike.
      I have also seen the get out and guardians of the galaxy before the summer and my T did not spike.

I will think about will I go to the movie. If I choose to go i will take my earplugs and headphones. Thank you again! :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was the bass loud and did you see it at a big movie theater?

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't pay money to be in the close company of large numbers of random Americans under any circumstances, if I can possibly avoid it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    9. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      Why? Crowds provide energy. See sporting event etc. Though noise wise I can't participate anymore.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

There's a reason I moved to the woods and only leave home about twice a week. I like to see my family a lot, and close friends. I care little for crowds and when you add in noise, traffic, etc... not my thing. To each their own!

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I went to an Empire cinema in the U.K. So yes it was a big cinema, I couldn't feel any bass tbh maybe because I sat in the middle? But overall I.T was not a loud movie compared to what I normally go and see.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I stopped going...I went to one movie without plugs and it caused crazy spike. Back then I didn't know that even movies can cause spikes.

Lot of people keep going to such places and they that have spike most of the days and they think that's how normal tinnitus is. I strongly believe if you keep going on loud places (movies, bars, loud restaurants) you will have loud T all the time. I am not saying your ears are getting damaged but your ears will be irritated and T will be loud all the time. I know many of you don't agree and one can do what ever he/she feels is best and make their own decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't really know. Maybe I won't go. :(

14. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I totally agree with every single point you are making. I also avoid all the loud places. I am not saying you become a hermit. There are so many places you can go and enjoy life. Plus don't protect from bass/low frequency sound so I just don't know why people would take a risk.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      You get so stressed when T spikes ..so you shouldn't . I know it sucks !

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are right. I have 7 tests next week so if I get a spike now. I won't be able to fully concentrate.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I want to see it so bad. I have been waiting for this movie for so long, My instinct says that I shouldn't. But I have always been safe when I used earplugs. I will also use headphones, so I would have double protection. Funny how the music volume scares me more than the movie itself. :D

18. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      IT isn't a loud movie, Take your plugs with you and go! 2017 best movie :) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know! It is probably a spectacular horror movie! I am really stressed, I don't know will I go!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All these thing cause too much stress. I am living in a life where I am stressed 90% of the time. It comes to a simple choice in life get busy living or get busy dying. I choose the latter one everyday.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I made a choice I won't go. My ears need to rest this weekend. I will watch it later at home. I hate T it won't let me do things I love. :(

• Like Like x 1
    22. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably tension in the jaw, neck and shoulders
      I am sorry that you T got worse! I just don't understand how it is possible that some people with T go out for years without earplugs and are fine, I just don't get it. Just like the musicians who still perfom.

Can someone explain this? Can there be a psychological factor?

• Like Like x 1
    23. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Man I have EXACTLY the same problem ! :(

I was waiting since forever for this remake which looks very good !

My brother already asked me twice about going with him but I told him that I cannot come... :(

Even watching TV is too loud for me so I cannot even imagine going to the Movies...

I will have to watch it on TV with low sound...

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Christophe_85 ah man.. this sucks. :(
      My friends are going tomorrow, but now this got me really thinking. When my mom watches tv I always tell her to put the volume down. But when I put earplugs and my headphones on I can't hear the TV not even a little bit. So maybe I would be safe in the movie? But it is still a big risk. Hmmm.. I will think about this again tomorrow. Good night! :)

25. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      If you guys really love movies, why not consider to have a nice little home theater room at home. If you have space for it, it won't cost that much to have a 7.1 channel system with a big screen at home. I enjoy movies (blurays/4k) at home in my cozy home theater room more than I do at cinema. Just my 2 cents...

26. Darius
      Cloud9

Darius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why don't you just buy a pair of really good earmuffs for use at the cinema? I personally wear my Peltor X5A when I go to see a movie, and it just makes the whole thing a much better experience.

Most cinemas don't play at volumes above 80 dB, unless you go to one that uses the Atmos sound system which can be too loud.

Don't restrict your life too much just because you have tinnitus. You'll be just fine with a pair of earmuffs.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I want to buy these Peltor X5A but I can't buy them before the movie anymore because here in my country they are only available in the net shop. i chose to not go to the movie, I will go running for 2 hours.

28. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      To me it is not worth it to go to the Movies...

I already live in a permanent fear that my T and H will increase...

And sometimes when I go out in a bar/pub, the day after I wonder if I made a mistake... :(

29. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Yes but always have plugs with me.

30. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Movie theaters are extremely unlikely to be loud enough to be damaging through earplugs; they are definitely louder than they need to be in many cases, but orders of magnitude quieter than concerts/etc.

• Agree Agree x 1