Doctor with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cor, Jul 20, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Cor

Cor Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey all, my current primary care doctor (that prescribe meds to me) is a psychiatrist. This because Paxil for anxiety due to tinnitus gave me panic attacks and suicidal thoughts (never had them since I stopped paxil after 3 days).

The psychiatrist says he has tinnitus, although my always suspicious mind wonders if he's not saying that to make me trust him more. But ok, im leaning towards believing him :) You would think this is the holy grail. Surely he understands what you're going through.

But I have found a flaw in this reasoning. He seems to think what works for him, should work for me. And of what I know of tinnitus, we each need to find our own way.

He has me on Clonazepam for sleeping as he thinks that sleeping is the most important. I actually stopped taking it after 3 days because im convinced it made my t much worse. Every time I took a pill right before bed time, my t would spike after about 15 minutes. I switched to an OTC sleep med, which actually works, but I think it's ototoxic (diphenhydramine).

He also took me off Alprazolam and Lormetazepam which I think are now causing withdrawal effects. I have some Alprazolam left, and am trying to taper with the left over pills.

He now seems reluctant to take me off Clonazepam. Because 'it works for him'. He has been taking it for 10+ years to sleep. This to me is a bit scary because I think these benzos are not doing me any good, quite the contrary.

Have an appt with him tomorrow, and im hoping he'll switch me to Remeron. He was not entirely opposed to that before, so we'll see. But, geez, ive been switching meds so much now, im not sure what my body is reacting to.

• Like Like x 1
    2. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Clonazepam for 10 + years ?
      Try asking him his name and see if he can recall it , that is if he can actually hear you.:p

I say this because after a year of Clonazepam I turned into a deaf gold fish.

Or should I say that I could not remember anything , got cognative problems and it definitely hurt my hearing when I quit.

3. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Why dont you just see another doctor? If you are willing to pay there are many good doctors in the private sector as well. No point of seeing one who you don't feel comfortable with.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hey Cor.
      One of my ENTs also has T. She said she coped after 6 weeks. That really puzzled me.
      I think everyone is different, every T is different. A low hissing is different than high-pitched screaming or multiple tones. I still struggle after 9 months, although things are a little bit better. And what works for one, does not work for the other.
      All those ...zepam drugs are benzos. So try to get off from them and use Remeron for sleep. Make sure you taper off the benzos appropriately. And start with Remeron maybe with a low dose of 15 mg. This is sufficient for sleep.
      Take a lorazepam (Tavor in Germany) if really needed.
      Normally, the benzos don't make T worse. They also do not make T better, but they work on your limbic system and decrease anxiety. I think that your body and mind are in anxiety mode. You have full focus on your T. So you have spikes on the one side and it it seems quieter when you feel calm.
      You will get better after a while, I am sure. Many have habituated, maybe we will see a cure.
      It is hard time, but it is doable.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @RaZaH his words :) He takes 0.5mg clonazepam every night to sleep for many years. He wants me to try that as well, but that doesnt sound like such a good idea to me. I think i really dont react well to benzos.

Xanax seems to work ok for me to lower my anxiety, but im taking too much now I think (2 x 0.25mg a day) and im working on cutting that down. It's only been for 4 weeks, so hopefully my dependency is low.

My t changes a lot. One day i wake up with a high pitch scream which immediately depresses me for the whole day, the next it's a low white noise which i can easily tolerate. I think I actually have 2 forms of T, if you can call it that. I think the white noise is my 'original' T caused by hearing loss and the high pitch scream seems to be more stress related as it fluctuates a lot. I think it's heavily influenced by what side I sleep on. If I sleep on my left side, my t is _always_ high the next day. If I sleep on my right side, it's generally low (not always). My t is in my right ear.

The volume generally goes down if i relax a lot. This week I was sitting in a cafe with friends just chilling for a few hours, and afterwards my t was barely audible. So yes, I know full well tension,stress,anxiety are fuel for my t, but damm, it's so hard to relax on command :)

I also have a genetic disposition to depression/anxiety I think. Two family members (uncle and grandmother) committed suicide, and another uncle is leaning towards serious psychoses. He's afraid to leave his house.

@Stina in NL it's not so easy to just see another doctor.

• Like Like x 1
    6. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      4 weeks ? You are fine dude, just make sure to taper.
      We are all different , based on my experiences I would not advise anyone touching benzos, ever.
      But that does not mean that they will "hurt" you if you use them for a short while.

7. RaZaH
      Not amused

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      As for the varying T , I have found that my T is completely and utterly random.
      For me its not so much about stress or relaxing , its more like if I get a break from it for any reason,be it talking to friends , repairing synths, making music , really just doing anything else that thinking about T... after such a break it seems lower for a while. I think ?

In fact I can be super stressed with low T and vice versa, or ..random.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well, i did take a benzo sleep aid at the same time as xanax. But yes, only about 4 weeks on benzos.

9. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      It is your mood. If you do productive things, live your life and T is in the background, you feel good, productive and worthful. You are satisfied with yourself and you are on top of T and any other negative things.
      But T wants your attention, it shouts for attention 24/7. So it will bring you down again and appears louder.
      That's my theory.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Try to taper off with your doctor.
      There are good anti-anxiety meds on the market which are not addictive.
      Here in Germany they oftentimes give Remeron in the evening and an anti-anxiety med in the morning.
      I only take Remeron/Mirtazapin, but a high dosage at the moment (45 mg).
      I guess this also takes the edge of anxiety a little bit.
      I also have a history of depression in my family (my mother). But I was never depressed or ancient before my T onset. But it could well be that some kind of depression/burnout caused my T.
      T definitely brought a reactive depression onto me, like for many.
      If you lose something (silence and control), a depression is normal for most illnesses.
      Cor, my recommendation:
      - Find the meds that help best
      - Find some masking sounds, for example high-pitched crickets, white noise etc.
      - Read through all sites on www.tinnitus.org
      - Read through the success stories on the yuku tinnitus board and here
      - Have some people you can talk to and understand (friends, family, doctor)
      - Find some distractions (sport, video games, reading, walking, hobbies)
      - Write here to get support
      - Believe that you will cope with this, that it will go down, that you habituate and that a cure will come
      It takes times. This is a long, tough journey.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. 10 years and .5 still puts him to sleep?! amazing...7 months.on clonazepam and its like taking a sugar pill..does nothing for me anymore.

I often wonder if clonaz is making me worse too...

12. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      the effect of the pill is in his mind, benzos have no effect after few weeks, then you need to take a higher dose.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. inadmin

inadmin Member

Not quite, my father takes the same dose of benzos to sleep for years. If he doesn't take the pill he wakes up in a horrible condition.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      probably he would be able to sleep naturally or the belief that it works helps him sleep. but if it has no side-effects and the belief helps then why not?

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      the main effect is on his liver but that's not the question, a doctor should be aware of the fact that benzos have no effect after a few weeks and should not recommend that way to one of his patient.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Cor, 2 x 0.25mg a day is a maintenance level for me. If you have severe T these assists work. I do believe sleep is very very important.

17. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @RaZaH @Martin69 I think i agree with both of you and you're sort of saying the same. Get your mind off of t, and it will disappear. Today I was working with my horses, and for hours I did not even think about t and didnt hear it. I get into my car to go home, and there it is again.

I find it very hard to get my mind away from it unless I am totally focussed on something else. But you cant focus on something else permanently. I do believe that eventually I will habituate, but it's indeed a tough journey.

I am not even sure this psychiatrist is even telling me the truth (i work in IT security, so my mind is always suspicious) but if @inadmin's father has this dose as well, it's probably something in the handbook :)

The best masking sound for me right now seems to be a ticking grandfather clock :) Water/rain or whatever spikes my T through the roof.

18. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      true but I meant for him not for the patient:) As a doctor of course he should no better. However not all people have side-effects after using sedatives for a long time: for example a relative of mine has been using Lexotanil for 15 years and has no side-effcets. But thiss is of course not good advise for a patient...

19. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Cor If you don't trust your psychiatrist get another one! Same holds true for any doctor. There are a lot of quacks

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Ken219 I dont know if I have severe T or not. I hear it above most things, but more importantly, it has taken over my life. I guess that's the most important marker for severity. I need to wrestle control back, but it'll take a while.

The alprozalam does seem to relax me a bit, and with the relaxation comes less t. But I think my dr really wants to take me off alprozalam. In NL they dont like to keep you on it. Although, it's a bit hypocritical of him being on Clonazepam for 10 years :)

It's not that i have a reason to distrust him. It's more that my mind is always looking for deceit :) 20 years in computer security do that to you :) So my brain is going "Ok, he wants my trust, so he's bonding with me by saying he has T so I will do what he tells me", while in reality he probably does have T and im just weird :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hey Cor.
      If you didn't focus for hours, this is much more I was able to yet.
      I also work in IT, in support. Fixing most complex problems in leading edge technology for 20 years.
      And I was on the couch of my GP after T onset and said: I can fix all problems, but now I have one I cannot fix. It has taken over my life and controls me. This is so damn hard. So I know where you are and where I still am.
      But we will go through this BS. There will be a future where T is only a small part of our life.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Cor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Well, I take it back. I visited him yesterday and he was totally fine with switching me to Remeron and we had a good discussion about tinnitus. He does actually have tinnitus, and is even a member of a national tinnitus group formed to create a better response to tinnitus in The Netherlands (which at the moment is truly horrendous). If and when I do habituate im going to ask to co-write an article with him about how not to deal with a patient with tinnitus as an ENT. Im convinced if my initial ENT did not dismiss my problems as much as he did, I would not have been in my current state. Not because my tinnitus would be any less, but because being dismissed is really the worse thing you can do with tinnitus or any disease really.

• Like Like x 1