Does a TV on Mute Still Spike Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by another sean, Mar 30, 2016.

1. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I bought a TV, haven't owned one in years, and I noticed it spikes my T and its always on mute about 8 feet away from me. I used Closed Captions on it. I tried 3 other models from 3 other brands and they all spike it. Does anyone else have this kind of sensitivity and any solutions?

Thanks

2. noisebox
      Loved

noisebox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      West End show. Came back 2015 vitamin D overdose prescribed
      Yep mine does, but not every day. But mine spikes it with sound or mute. I blame my TV, 2 houses I go to this does not happen.
      Why would you buy a tv and always have it on mute.

3. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I get bugged by old CRT TVs. They produce an obvious irritating whine around 15kHz. My hearing is still pretty good, so it's deafeningly loud, like a dog whistle to me! I can also pick up the noise that some other electrical devices make.

I've never heard of flatscreen TVs making noise before though. Maybe a component inside it is busted and it's making an irritating high pitched noise that is masked by your T/is outside of your range of hearing? Does it happen with every TV or just yours?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      Because any sound at any volume from a speaker raises my baseline. I can't use a phone anymore for example.

I mentioned it happened with 3 other TV's from 3 different brands. So 4 Tv's from 4 different brands in total at around 43" in size all brand new.