Does Any Damage Occur in Hearing Every Time Ears Feel Pain from Normal Noises Due to Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Konstadinos, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Konstadinos

Konstadinos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (diagnosed with ETD, TMJD and Straigtened Neck)
      Hallo everybody,

Since last March I developped tinnitus in both ears as well as in head (vibration feeling). My hearing tests came back perfect. The cause is still unknown.
      In May I also developped sensitivity in special noises such as dish/glaces, but now this sensitivity has calmed down to a big extent. Last week I had a haircut and the haircuter was keeping the hair clipper near my ear... that caused me feel strong pain. I didn't notice any change in tinnitus when came back home. I read that hair clipper noise is totally safe but as far as it caused me pain does this mean that it was too loud for me causing me damage?
      In other words: when one feels pain from a noise (that is being considered safe) does that mean that at that moment is taking place a damage in hearing which causes the pain?

Thank you for reading my post.

2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Konstadinos,
      i have had two haircuts since onset.
      and both hairdressers used the hair clipper very near to my ear / skull
      i didnt experience severe pain or something like that.
      and it also didnt cause any damage or spike.
      i think it must be something else, give it a few days.

3. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      Usually, there is only the perception of damage when no actual damage is being done to your inner ear. That's the confusing part of hyperacusis. The noises you are exposing yourself to are nowhere near loud enough and do not last long enough to cause hearing damage, so don't get too worried.
      The pain is simply another part of the brain/nervous system going haywire and that part I can't explain for you because there are a lot of things that cause hyperacusis.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You ask an excellent question, I'm not sure we have a reliable scientific answer to that.

But why the hair clipper ? Just find a hair dresser who uses old fashioned scissors. Hair dressers don't NEED hair clippers, it's just more convenient for them when they have dozens of customers every day. But many of them will be happy to use scissors only.

5. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      Thats hyperacusis , the buzz clips wont causes any damage, I have hyperacusis as well and had similar thoughts. Your brain is being hypervigilant. back in the day this kinda stuff would keep us alive as we hid from sabertooth tigers creeping up on us. To bad we don't need it anymore and its causes a fight or flight loop. its like your brain is in panic mode with no off switch. your brain is sending all types of neurons and hormones at your hears and that why it hurts. I hear my neighbor clear his throats 2 house down, it nuts. I'm about to do some cognitive behavioral therapy and get on some anti- depressants to help me with it. theory is if you can pull back the anxiety, you'll pull pack your hyperacusis.

The cause or your Tinnitus will always be unknown sure get a checkup but don't go crazy looking for something science doesn't know yet. my advise it to work on your metal health, stress most likely got you there and removing that stress will get you on the right path.

6. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I'm not sure that hunter gatherers had hyperacusis or felt pain in their ears when they heard a sabertooth tiger creeping up on them. I believe what you've said here is false on many levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      If we feel pain because of a moderate sound, it means our body is in pain, how can we be sure that it does not mean damage already ?

8. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      we can't. it is assumed that it's not damage because there is no evidence of damage based on conventional audiological testing.

this makes me curious about why Jastreboff disciples will tell you that only damaging levels of sound can worsen your hyperacusis. if there's no evidence of damage to the ear in a case of hyperacusis, then how do we know specifically that damaging levels of sound are what cause hyperacusis?

if hyperacusis is not damage, why are damaging levels of sound used as the measuring stick for what type of sound can or cannot worsen it?

the same question applies to tinnitus.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    9. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      I think the only sounds we are to avoid are Stereocilia damaging levels. our (we with H) brains will tempt to make up for the loss in theory. We need to clam ourselves and slowly readjust to everyday sounds to retrain our nervous system

10. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Of course it causes damage, no matter what Jastreboff fanbois tell you. But maybe it's temporal damage that reverses, maybe it's damage over a long period.

There are a bunch of hyperacusis etiologies at the very least, where the feeling is not the sound itself but a mimic of the sound in the form of a twitch or a pressure hit or a muscle spasm. This difference is extremely subtle and unless you're subjected to very specific questioning it doesn't come to light. Jastreboffists don't care about this dinstinction because for them hyperacusis is a purely mental state of hypervigilance. Proof they say is the ancestral man who in a cherry picked example of anthropology, ''thought silence meant danger was near''.

Once you get an issue in the ear, or the middle ear like I did, something in the unspecific and underresearched world of TTTS, from say a concert, if you go to a second concert you will get further DAMAGE that you wouldn't have got had you not gone from the first concert. And don't let Jastreboffists tell you otherwise, or that it's ''just a stress attack''.

• Agree Agree x 3
    11. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Priceless. Medical science goes to Hollywood.