Does Anybody Else Hear The Hum Too?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scubadude, Nov 20, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      The Hum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm the new guy (yeah go me!) I joined the forums to share my experiences regarding the big "T"

I'm about to start the ball rolling with treatment & wondered if any fellow high pitched sufferers also hear this
      too? Having tinnitus is bad enough but getting this on top really takes the biscuit...
      I would rather be stone deaf in my offending ear than to put up with these invasive noises.
      And yes 48 year old men do cry.......

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      No, I don't get a hum or crickets, mine is a ring. I don't know, maybe a hum would be better?

3. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Wanted to post to say hang in there - lots of thing to help the first few months r tough for many some cope really well - others need a bit of support and help - its fine to be in that group we are all with ya!

I promise it does get better - you need to sleep more than anything and pls go to the doc for help if you need it - I have found if I sleep I can deal with my T

Crying is cool - proves your human and have a heart - when you feel like crying get on here and call on one of us to help ya through your not alone I promise you and you will soon be helping others with your experiences and support.

So - pls read some stuff on hear and take on board the help we all can offer we so understand - ask anything you want - someone will understand - and offer help / suggestions / support

Your not alone - @Scubadude

cher x

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Scubadude, and welcome!

Great comments from Cher69 (above). She is right; you need sleep most of all right now. When you are able to begin sleeping again, things will look a lot better, and your tinnitus may even calm down a bit. You are right to be proactive in looking for ways to treat your tinnitus; we have lots of suggestions on this site, and are available to offer you understanding and support.

Yes, like you, I have a high-pitched hum/hissing sound. I understand that this means our brains are trying to compensate for hearing loss in that particular frequency. Have you been to an audiologist yet, to have your hearing tested?

We're glad to welcome you to Tinnitus Talk. Let us know if we can offer any advice or information.

Best wishes,
      Karen

5. VelvetFont

VelvetFont Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Dude, I am 30 years old male and I cry, sometimes out of empathy and emotion but yeah frustration and anxiety is there on the list too. I don't have an issue being honest with emotions (must men do) ... and I guess I'll still be doing it by the time I reach 48. Guess my sensitivity brought me to my passion for music which brought me to the T.

No Hum , mine is like a ring , sometimes the 100 crickets, sometimes like 1o pressure pots and in bad days is like a dentist drill. When my T is playing cool it sounds like a VCR recording, that is bliss, brings me back to my youth.

When you mention the Hum, do you mean like somebody else in a room is able to hear the sound besides yourself, but not everybody else? Sounds like X file stuff. Does the hum follow you around like T? Or is it located at one spot? That's what the wiki article mentions at the top. Sounds creepy.

6. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Thanks to everybody for their support and kind words I appreciate it. I can't sleep at the time of writing ( It's 02.09 UK)

7. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      VelvetFont This noise is different to my high pitched Tinnitus. I started to hear this noise 2 years before the onset of my recent woes. My partner also hears this and causes her a lot of grief and anxiety. My immediate neighbour next door can hear it too. I have another link for you to show just how global the problem is.

The Hum

8. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      I do hear that Hum, only when i cover my ears though, but i remember having that since i was little i thought it was normal thought. is it not? My T is like Crickets, or stati, and to be very honest i would much prefer this than the classic ringing. Beforre i had T i would get this moment of deafness then a ringing would happen and i would go mad. it only last seconds though. So I'm thankful my T sounds like this, this crickets i can handle ringing? maybe i can but i might take a lot of time. :)

9. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Oh and i forgot to add. Right now my T is a lot of sounds at once, there's Whistling, The crickets, and the electricty that seems to be shaking. its crazy, if i paid a ttention to it i'll go nuts! hahaha so I don't. And ignoring it works :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Hey AnneG! The clicks whistles and continuous high piched sound I can deal with because I know that it's Tinnitus doing its thing and I guess it's up to me how I deal with it.
      This sound called the HUM is heard all over the world but only a few people can hear it. Unfortunately I can and have to live with the fact that I can hear low frequency sounds. If you check on the link above and look at the interactive map you can click on each individual marker on the map and see what people are experiencing.
      I'm guessing that my condition was brought on by this unknown phenomenon. Next step for me would be to contact the UK government and get the sound engineers out.

11. Jeep1985

Jeep1985 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Hi all. Newbie here. I started getting tinnitis back in Dec 2011 when my doc failed to renew several med prescriptions through the holidays that year. Been ringing ever since off and on. I think it may also get worse with less sleep, med level, or certain foods (?).

As for the hum, I started hearing it back around 2005 or so. I lived about 10 mi north of where I am now. I would hear it at night when laying in bed. I figured it was a neighbors AC unit or pool pump? Didn't really hear it when I moved here in 2007 (HB,CA) until a week or two ago. Very loud, low hum. Goes around the clock, then silent for a day, then back to it for several days.

I also am severely noise sensitive- kids playing, dogs barking, people laughing: sudden changes in ambient volume. It has gotten worse over the years; my friends and family just think I am being cranky and don't understand the aural torture that it causes sometimes. I have resorted to carrying/wearing earplugs when I need to. I also bought some Bose Q15's, which help tremendously. I use them with music, or even with a white noise generator on my computer or phone.

Cheers, Jeep

12. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      i have the hum,too! but it only started 2 weeks ago in my left ear, tinnitus high-pitched started 4 months ago, and the hum in one ear came only 2 weeks ago, so dont worry, you are not alone! its like an engine, far away outside,running and even a slight vibration feeling on the same side in my head,but i only hear it at night when lying down.

13. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      jeep,why do these bose headphones help better than others,ive heard a lot of them..?

14. Jeep1985

Jeep1985 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      I think part of it is the superior noise cancelling factor and part of it is purely preference. The Q15s block out a broader range of frequencies. You can listen to music at a lower volume (without blowing your eardrums out), but still enjoy the ability for the headphones to block background noise such as cars, lawnmowers, noisy neighbors, etc.