Does Anybody Go to Car Meets or Car Events?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Aug 2, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I may be going to an event called 'JapFest' in two weeks time, celebrating Japanese sports cars. I've always wanted to go, weird how it's only after I get tinnitus that I actually make proper plans!

I am worried about the noise though, I plan to wear ear plugs most of the time but I was wondering if anyone else has gone to one and what their experiences were? I've asked about decibel restrictions but haven't had a response. They will be very high performance cars though and I'm sure there will be the chavs with huge exhausts, back firing like gun shots. I had a recent experience with that but wasn't wearing ear plugs so.

2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      i had the same concerns about attending car shows here in the US and i went ahead and just used foam NRR33 ear plugs and was fine. But these car shows were mostly just people showing cars, granted these were some loud American muscle cars but it wasn't bad at all. Keep the plugs in and you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Great, thanks for the reassurance!

4. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      one other thing, i made sure i wasnt standing BEHIND any car. You never know when someone is gonna start their engine and rev the shit out of it.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good advice, thanks! That's the problem, the Japanese cars will be highly modified, there's guaranteed to be people revving the shit out of them!

6. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      You wouldn't want to stand behind my current car. A TVR Cerbera 4.2 sounds just awesome. Probably how I got tinnitus.lol

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it were me, I'd probably go, planning on wearing earplugs and bringing a set of over-the-head cans along just in case things get really loud.

A fellow motorcyclist at work recently asked me for earplug advice because he said "I am going to a track day, and I need for my ears to not hurt for 72 hours like they did last time" :bawling: -- but, I would imagine that motorcycle track events are probably a lot louder than car shows.

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I skipped one I wanted to go to. It was classic European cars, I'm sure I would have been ok with ear plugs, i should have just gone. I have a tough time getting up the energy for these things anymore as well, always feel like it's more stress than fun, I don't know.

If you want to go, go for it with plugs. I'm sure it's fine man.

If you like the z cars, I will post a pic of my 75 Nissan 280z. I spent years restoring (most work done by me). Not sure if you are a fan of the classic ones?

Gotta search for the pics, give me a couple of days, I don't have the car anymore, big regret getting rid of it.

I love the new generation of z's like yours as well, amazing cars.

• Like Like x 1
    9. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'd go for sure but with like double ear protection lol

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I love those! Went to a car show on Sunday and there were a few there. I had considered it before my 350z but I've heard negative things with regards to reliability! Do you wear ear plugs whilst driving it? As I assume there's no cat so must be very loud!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I'm still not 100%. Ill definitely take ear plugs and wear them almost all of the time, but it still makes me feel nervous, although I doubt there will be sustained noise over 100db, and the ear plugs are 33db+ rated so should be fine. I just worry about the back firing which I guess will be 130-140db but only short exposure.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know what you mean, there's so many what ifs that it just becomes a stressful thing to even think about.

Oh wow, I love the 280Z's! It'd be great to see a picture of it. Yeah it's been a fantastic car so far, although the gearbox is making a few noises which has me concerned, better start saving!

13. not anymore.

14. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I still try to attend car shows now and again after getting H and it's kinda hit and miss with me really,seems when I go I always wear earplugs but there's no noise and with the earplugs in I can't hear anyone so I take them out to chat with a friend and all of a sudden someone decides to rev the shit out of their car back fireing and everything.In general they're not too noisy from experience that is so don't be too worried and reliant on earplugs,just go and enjoy yourself:)

15. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -