Does Anyone Else Feel Their Head Buzzing? Or Have Hissing Static That Feels Like It’s Behind the Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michellejean, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      Hey everyone! Looking for anyone who might also have a hissing kind of squeaky wheel sound with their tinnitus.

I have puretones in both ears but also a fluctuating sound of hissing like air coming out of a tire that is choppy, like pouring sand onto a glass table, hearing each grain tap against the glass at a different rhythm.

It feels like it’s coming from right behind my ear rather than in my ear, but also in my ear, and I feel like I can feel an electrical current or vibration in my ears.

Is this normal with tinnitus?

I can’t mask the hissing sound with anything the way I can mask the puretones.

I’d keep my puretones happily to get rid of this awful squeaky wheel in my head.

Praying for all of us! One day at a time for now. I know our bodies can heal!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Yes I have the "squeaky wheel" as well...kind of like a shopping cart being pushed along.
      The buzzing kind of sounds like a malfunctioning electrical line...with some imagination I could also compare it to sand being poured on a glass table as well....or even bunch of crickets.
      Same with the electrical current vibration.
      Do you know tour T's overall main frequency?
      What does your audiogram say?

3. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Never had a "squeaky wheel", though I do have an occasional clicking in the right ear that comes and goes, but many year ago I experienced a buzzing or vibration feeling behind my right ear. It almost was like it was blood rushing behind my ear (like when circulation returns to your arm after sleeping in a way that cuts it off). I cannot remember if it was constant, but it did go away one day and has not returned. I always assumed it was a form of tinnitus, but it was never diagnosed as such. But as you say, it was behind (not in) my ear.

4. Petronius

Petronius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise / anxiety
      Hi,
      I have a hissing kind of sound above the ear, in the left-center side of the head.
      Sometimes it can move and be heard in the right side, but its main location is behind and above the left ear.
      It doesn't sound like a wheel though, it's more like a high treble hiss and electrical buzzing.
      I remember in the past I'd sometimes get a vibrating sensation in my head, but I haven't noticed this lately. I think it was due to tiredness or after a long trip.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Tinnitus is like ppl finger print, everyone is different. No mine is in my ears and am still yet to figure out what is sound like.

• Like Like x 1
    6. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That might be a better description of what I had.

7. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      In the first year of my tinnitus, I had a multitude of different sounds, some worse than others. One of them was the sound like when someone pinches the neck of a balloon and lets the air escape a little at a time.

I still have hissing sounds but haven't heard any kind of squeaking or squealing sounds in a very long time. Your tinnitus is fairly recent, so I'm going to venture a guess that there's a good chance the squealing sound will calm down. Tinnitus is almost always the worst in the first few months or first year.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Very interesting descriptions...
      I know the hissing like air coming out, too.
      And the sand grain on the glass table, too.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Petronius thabk you for your reply. Yes that is how mine is. Sometimes it’s on the left sometimes it’s on the right, mostly on the right, and sometimes both sides of my “head” rather than ears.

We’re you able to mask it? This is the one sound I can’t mask and it is the only sound that drives me nuts.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Cheza thabk you for your reply. I certainly hope the squealing calms down. Thank you for the encouraging words. How long have you had T? How did you mask the hissing squeaky wheel? It’s very hard for me to cover this noise up.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @John Smythe thank you for your response. What has your journey with T been like? I’m two months in and feeling upset and down lately. I just hoped it would go away and it hasn’t. Lol

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Rajin thabk you for your comment. I think you’re right. I always wish I could know what other people’s sounds were compared to my own but what good would that do anyways? Haha

13. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had tinnitus as a ringing in the ears for over 20 years, but I wouldn't classify it as intolerable. Unless my surroundings are very quiet, I don't notice it unless I listen for it. I've had fairly infrequent situations where it has gotten worse for a short period (or I've had hyperacusis for a couple of days). As I posted elsewhere, I think it might have gotten worse recently, but I'm not sure I'm just thinking it's worse (because I'm using NC headphones and earplugs more). I had the buzzing for several months back in the mid-1990s, though I do not recall whether I had it 24/7. One day, I took an Advil and it suddenly went away and never came back. I cannot say if there was any cause-and-effect, however. It started after I was very sick for a couple of weeks and had a persistent low-grade fever for many weeks. My doctor thought it could be Lyme's Disease, but the tests were negative. My blood work was negative when I was ill, as well. It essentially was a "fever of unknown origin". I'm not entirely sure it wasn't stress related.

14. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I've had tinnitus since April 2014. I didn't use masking for maybe the first year, because to me it was noise on top of noise and also interfered with my work, which is audio transcription. Some tinnitus sounds are difficult to mask for sure. A member of Tinnitus Talk convinced me that it would help me if I listened to masking outside of work hours, and it did help to take my mind off the tinnitus back then.

Try visiting the myNoise website and experiment listening to the streaming sound generators. You might find something that even if it doesn't mask the hissing squeaks, that it takes your focus away from it. It's a great site and is an incredible blessing when trying to cope with intrusive tinnitus, especially if it's severe.

Edit to add: I just now visited the myNoise site. He's added a new sound generator called Slow Motion. It's more musical than simply sound, and is absolutely lovely to listen to.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Yes, I usually have hissing but also static, crickets. I hear mine in my head. I'm in month 10 and I did get better in dealing with T.

16. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also have this type of high pitched hissing. Generally it comes from behind my ear, but sometimes it is also lodged centrally in my neck (this is usually when it isn't so high pitched and is more bearable). This tone sometimes transitions into more of a cicada-type noise.

It is very particular that people with multitonal T sometime seem to be able to pinpoint a location, from which the input originates, that is not the ear itself. I wonder why that is. Same thing goes for 'head T'.

I think the very high frequency of the T makes it so it is felt as much as it is heard. This is why I understand it being more difficult to mask.

Still, I can get some relief from this type of hissing with heavy rain, crickets or chirping birds. Check these vids out:
      4K Mountain Meadows - Cricket &...

4K Tropical Rain & Relaxing Nature Sounds...

CRICKETS & SEA WAVES - Nature SOUNDS for...

When it gets bad, this can also help:
      MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY 1...

• Useful Useful x 1
    17. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      @Michellejean
      You described this noise exactly as I have it
      It's much terrible for me and come from the back of my head.

The first video "Mountain Meadows" that @Mellow7 added in previous post can mask it, but not fully.

In my area there is sometimes some kind of crickets that makes powerful ultra-thin sounds that mask this type of noise and even reducing it sometimes for me, I'll record it when will listen to them.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    18. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      Do you still mask? I'm not big on it as I feel like it was "noise on top of noise". When desperate I'll listen to music, but I hate having to worry about masking.

19. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, sometimes, Mountain Meadows crickets is the best masker that I found for my head buzzing noise, I use it only when buzzing is coming to surprise me.
      For the other monotonic noise beeps I use pink noise masker, but very rare because these noises are mild compared to head buzzing.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The Mountain Meadows vid is very useful for the type of T that makes your entire head vibrate indeed. This hissing or sizzling I sometimes experience cuts right through your head. It can be felt just as well as it can be heard. But when I put this vid on, it is like my brain gets the oxygen it so deperately needs to make all the circuitry flow again and the vibration subsides. When I turn the audio off, I give it a few seconds and there it is again. Unreal..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      The mountain meadows is exactly what it sounds like in my head but when I listen to these sounds it spikes my T when it’s over. Ugh!

22. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It also spike my T when it’s over.

I found more powerful sound to mask my T, but when it’s over it make more spike than mountain meadows.
      10 Hour Best Tinnitus Sound Therapy Ever

• Like Like x 1
    23. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I found a new masking of electrical cicadas, lol. You can find it on youtube by searching like "cicadas toronto", but the best way to listen them naturally when you open your windows and they are dwell in your area. It does not make spike when its over, at least for me.
      Here's one:
      The sound of Cicadas Sept 23 Ontario Canada

• Like Like x 1
    24. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      My hissing is left dominant... not a good day today!...