Does Anyone Else Have a Feeling of Burning on the Top of the Head?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LindaS, May 2, 2020.

1. LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      Within a few weeks it has gone from tinnitus, to tinnitus & hyperacusis, and now burning ears. I also get a burning sensation on the top of my head. Has anyone else experienced a feeling of burning on the top of the head?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When I developed tinnitus and hyperacusis 24 years ago I experienced many symptoms in addition to ringing and oversensitivity to sound - hyperacusis. The burning in the ears you have mentioned and on top of my head. The whole of my head felt completely numb as a result of my noise trauma for 6 months. The experience was far from pleasant as it felt I was hearing sounds with my head held under water. Late one night around 2am I suddenly awoke from sleep frightened, as both my ears were ringing so loudly, just like the old fashioned kettle that whistles when it cames to the boil on the gas hob.

I got dressed quickly and drove to my local hospital to be seen in Accident and Emergency. Those were difficult times. I suggest you start taking magnesium tablets to help repair nerves within your auditory system. I was advised to take this after seeing a herbalist that knew a lot about noise induced tinnitus. I also took ginkgo biloba. When I say my ENT consultant for the first time. He said he advises all this tinnitus patients to take magnesium and ginkgo biloba.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow Michael. My issues sound similar to yours. How the heck did you get through the first few months?

How much magnesium and gingko biloba. should one take?

Can one ever habituate if there has been hearing loss?

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus is complex @LindaS I don't mean to blow my own trumpet, but I wish the information that I have written in my posts was available to me many years ago. People like myself and others in this forum have had to learn the hard way through experience and trial by fire. The advice I give and others in this forum, will help make your path to habituation easier, so I advise you to listen, take things slowly and try not to stress yourself out too much.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had good advice from a herbalist that was experienced in Noise induced tinnitus, and can't thank her enough. She advised me to take Magnesium as it helps repair nerves within the auditory system that have been traumatised by sound. Go to a herbalist shop or Holland & Barrett. You can check-out ebay and Amazon too. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. Take gingko biloba too, as this increases blood circulation to the body extremeties: Feet, Hands and head including the auditory system. More information about this and magnesium, is in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, which I have given to you in the links. The information is on the last page.

Take the magnesium for at least a year preferably 2 years and I advise to take Gingko biloba regularly. As a tincture is better as it enters the blood stream quicker. Gingko helps some people with tinnitus and is known to help with hearing as it did for me. I had a difficult time recovering and took approximately 2 years. Each person is different so what applied to me maybe different for you.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LindaS

LindaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Michael. I tried to send you a PM but couldn't. I wanted to ask you about hearing aids as they have been recommended to me. Did you also have hearing loss and did you get hearing aids within the first 2 years?
      How can I send you a PM?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Do you live in the UK Linda? I am asking you this as it's best to get an assessment under the NHS instead of going private. Some private companies will want to sell a tinnitus patient hearing aids just to make money and the patient doesn't really need hearing aids. I also correspond with people abroad and know this unscrupulous practice also happens. You may have hearing loss but it may not be sufficient enough to warrant hearing aids.

I do not have any hearing loss. However, when I first got tinnitus 24 years ago which was noise induced. I knew my hearing wasn't as good as it should be. I took the gingko biloba on the advice of the herbalist. When I had my first ENT appointment which was a 6 months wait. My ENT consultant was surprised as my hearing was well above normal. He asked was I taking anything and I explained I was taking Gingko Biloba on the advice of a herbalist. He said the advice was good and something he advices all this tinnitus patients to take: Magnesium and GB.

I had TRT treatment that involved counselling and wearing white noise generators for 2 years. After 2 years the hyperacusis was completely cured and the tinnitus reduced to a very low level. Unfortunately, in 2008 I had a 2nd noise trauma and my tinnitus increased and took 4 years to habituate again. The hyperacusis did not return.

If you can't send me a PM try an email: Michael_lee83@yahoo.com

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    7. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Have you ever tried CBD, curcumin, or vitamin B?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes on my scalp, ears (inner/outer) neck, and even on my face.

I’ve had moments where my thighs , shoulderblades and arms felt the burning as well, with my thighs getting the worst of it. The front of them specifically.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No...

10. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Michael Leigh -- As usual, I always appreciate your helpful posts. -- A fairly prominent U.S. "brain" doctor who does extensive brain scanning techniques in his practice (Dr. Daniel Amen | Amen Clinics) is often featured on PBS fundraising episodes in the U.S. On one of his programs, he mentioned that he does a lot of scans of patients' brains both before and after they start some of his brain rehabilitation programs.

He specifically mentioned that some of the most amazingly positive scans were of those people who incorporated gingko biloba into their regimen. He seemed to believe GB is almost unparalled in its ability to heal a damaged brain. I'm convinced many people who have some of the most severe difficulties with tinnitus would do well to incorporate as many brain building nutrients and "practices" into their daily regimens as they can.

Interestingly, Dr. Amen mentioned how he's been able to track the progression of healing for benzodiazapine damaged brains. Not to say this as a knock against their judicious use. But used long-term, they apparently can damage a brain to the extent it can be seen on a scan. -- @Star64

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Lane

Thank you for your kind words. I want to say it's always interesting reading your posts, as they are informative and well written. Since the onset of my tinnitus 24 years ago I've taken Gingko Biloba for the majority of time, so it's interesting to read about Dr. Daniel Amen's research and want to thank you for submitting this information.

Studies have been carried out saying Ginkgo Biloba increases blood circulation to the extremities of the body: feet, hands and head, including the auditory pathways. I cannot say for certain whether it has helped lower my tinnitus but believe it has improved my hearing. Some call it the memory tree and reports have suggested that it may help Alzheimer disease and improve thinking and learning.

Benzodiazpines are strong medications and many people know of their addictive nature and side effects when taken long term. Therefore, I agree when taken judiciously and under the guidance of a doctor, one can hopefully avoid any potential side effects that some people encounter. I don't know what would have happend to me if my ENT consultant, hadn't prescribed me Clonazepam back in 2010. I was at my lowest ebb with tinnitus and found myself slipping into depression. She advised that it helps some people with severe tinnitus and suggested I only take it when the tinnitus was severe. I found it immensely helpful and have never (touch wood) had a problem with it in ten years. I now take it once or twice a month for 1 or 2 days then stop. The dosage: 2x 0.5mg tablets that reduce the tinnitus over 12 hours to a managable level or complete silence. My tinnitus is variable and changed to this in 2008 after a second noise trauma. It is random: complete silence, mild, moderate, severe or very severe.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    12. East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Not on top of my head but definitely on the side, and back of the head. Sometimes get shooting pains in my head as well

13. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cervicogenic headaches, Anxiety, OCD, Zoloft
      Is there certain brand of Ginkgo Biloba that you recommend over another? I'm considering giving it a try. Thank you very much.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I was told by a herbalist, that taking Ginkgo Biloba as a tincture reaches into the bloodstream quicker. The brand I take is made by Avogel, and I buy it from Amazon UK. It is available in 50ml and 100ml bottles. Dosage is 15 drops 3x a day in water. It is also available at Amazon US:

Amazon.com : Avogel gingko biloba

This is high quality Gingko Biloba. I only take it 2x a day now.

Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 2