Does Anyone Happen to Know If Reactive Tinnitus Gets Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CarloZ, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      Well I'm back to to square one. -.-
      I was finally beginning to tolerate my normal tinnitus. I was really happy. I'm not back to square one because it for worse, I'm crying again and fearing for my future because I now have reactive tinnitus on top of my regular tinnitus. It's a wind sound like I said in my last 2 post. I'm really scared. I don't know if I can tolerate it if it does get worse. :(

2. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Hi @CarloZ

I had a re-occurrence of tinnitus in early November last year which came with sound reactive tinnitus. Louder sounds, e.g. from driving, would cause my tinnitus to wind up and become louder with only sleep being what reset it back to baseline. This went on for sometime, in fact I ended up moving closer to work because I couldn't handle the 30 minute daily commute morning and night from my house in a different part of the city. Just recently, 2 weeks ago I moved home and now do the daily commute without the reactive tinnitus issues. I still have a few days where my tinnitus is worse than others, on those days it's not a volume issue, but a frequency issue. On those days my tinnitus is like that when I wake up. It happens around 2-3 times a week. Hopefully soon it won't happen at all.

Sound reactive tinnitus is difficult to manage, but in most circumstances it comes right after a length of time. For me, it was 9-10 months before things started heading the right direction.

Hope that helps. :)
      Mark

3. pytajnick

pytajnick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe I have the reactive kind of tinnitus as well. I'm really interested to know if you were able to get rid of the reactive component of your T eventually. Do you have any advice on how to deal without it and help healing process?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (sonic toothbrush touched ear...)
      Right after the onset of my T, it was definitely reactive. It would go through the roof after a shower. After about 2 months it stopped being reactive. So it can get better.

5. G61

G61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head and neck trauma
      My tinnitus is reactive to sounds too. I wear ear-plugs when I take showers and when I'm driving. Try not to expose yourself to loud sounds. It's not something that you can tough it out. Also, I learnt from my audiologist that listening to random pink noise and white noise might cause more harms than goods at least in my case. My theory is that there is something wrong with my limbic system in the brain. I'm going to try bio-feedback and learn meditation. If you cannot control your anxiety, see a psychiatrist for meds to take the edge off first.

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      I don't think there is such a thing called reactive tinnitus. I call it hyperacusis. (sensitivity to sound) that often accompanies tinnitus. The usual cause is " loud sounds" Have you been listening to music through headphones? Or attending places where loud music is played - Perhaps working in a noisy environment. Any of these things can cause tinnitus to become worse and a person develop hyperacusis.

Please read the articles below: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Hyperacusis, As I see it<<<<I advise you to read this first. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

7. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock Concert
      I've had my tinnitus spike countless times from activities like driving, watching tv, listening to music at normal volumes, etc. Yet my ears don't feel overly sensitive to the sounds. I'm just sitting there and the longer it goes on, the more it shoots up. So I don't know.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      If your tinnitus is "spiking" in this way then I believe your auditory system is sensitive. One of the best ways to cure that is using sound enrichment. In more severe cases using white noise generators, under the guidance of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist is recommended. I once had very severe hyperacusis. It was so bad conversation with people would spike my tinnitus. I had to ask them to lower their voice. The hyperacusis was cured in two years using white noise generators as part of TRT. These treatments can be expensive. It all depends how severe the condition is, but using sound therapy can help a lot and a person might not always need professional help.

9. RyanF347

RyanF347 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      @Michael Leigh michael you say there is no such thing as reactive tinnitus and tinnitus that gets louder when around sounds is hyperacusis. What is the word for tinnitus that is only present or onset by hearing a certain sound. for example my a get a wind like noise in my left ear that' i only hear when certain sound's are present such as fans, runnng water etc. is this sound distortion? ive had it twice before that died down after 2-3 weeks but its back with a vengeance after a weekend of some bad noise exposure. on a second courses of prednisolone

10. Steve H
      Creative

Steve H Director Staff Benefactor Team Tech Team Research Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I have to disagree on the reactive tinnitus statement. I believe there is a clear difference between tinnitus being reactive to sounds and the condition of hyperacusis. I have had both and I can distinguish clearly between the two.

Hyperacusis, as described by BTA website is: "The term hyperacusis is generally applied to people who experience the sounds of everyday life as intrusively loud, uncomfortable, and sometimes painful" - it often covers phonophobia, misophonia and recruitment when it's used.

Reactive tinnitus, to give a personal example, can be: Having a fan on in the background, tinnitus rising above the noise and staying at a louder level even after the fan has turned off. I also have a reaction to much music, listening and realising that my tinnitus has raised in loudness.

My experience of reactive tinnitus will be to sounds that will not elicit any other form of emotive response, definitely not a sound aversion as is at play in hyperacusis. Taking the fan example, it's there to cool you down and generally should offer some soothing and masking background noise, if anything a positive emotional response with no perceived negatives. Right now I am listening to ludovico einaudi, no way should something this beautiful cause a negative response. However my left ear is screaming. Other than the raised tinnitus I have no negative reaction to it, on the contrary it's soft and soothing (bar the obvious)

What is the different mechanism at play? Possibly down to auditory damage and the ear / brain responding when it has a sound that it knows from experience to be across the frequency spectrum, but it is receiving deficient information due to the auditory damage / hearing loss, which spikes the lost frequencies. What this doesn't explain is why it is predominantly one sided where I know I have reduced hearing threshold fairly equally in both ears.

• Agree Agree x 4
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      Hi @RyanF347,

I do not believe there is such a thing as “reactive tinnitus”. I maintain it was a term originally used in tinnitus forums and has now developed quite a following. However, a person is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. It now seems some in the medical field have adopted the word and devised a suitable treatment for it that I do not believe in. You will find most people (but not all) that say their tinnitus is reactive to certain sounds; their tinnitus was originally caused by noise exposure and hyperacusis often accompanies the tinnitus. If the hyperacusis is not completely cured. In other words the auditory system not desensitised, it will always be hypersensitive to sounds or at least some sensitivity will remain. When certain sounds are heard it spikes the tinnitus and hence we have “reactive tinnitus”.

I believe when hyperacusis is properly treated with sound enrichment, and in more severe cases wearing white noise generators, the hypersensitivity will be cured – just has mine has for the last 20 years. My hyperacusis was so severe when in conversation with someone I had to ask them to please lower their voice as my ears hurt. Another thing you will find (but not always) people that have recovered from noise trauma with hyperacusis, and use headphones, talk about their tinnitus being “reactive”. Although a person can successfully recover from noise trauma and hyperacusis. I always advise that they shouldn’t use headphones as I believe they can cause the auditory system to be hypersensitive to certain sounds that some call “reactive tinnitus”. The problem that you speak of in my opinion is hyperacusis. This condition comes in different levels of severity.

I have a lot of respect for the medical profession and those that are working in ENT and Audiology to help make life easier for those suffering with tinnitus. They are experts in their field and know all about the anatomy of the ear. They are able to treat it medically or surgically and this they do well. When it comes to tinnitus most of them know little about it because they have never experienced it.

Michael

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    12. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Completely agree with @Steve H. Reactive Tinnitus and Hyperacusis are two different things. I have had both.

And both are temporary conditions, in my experience. Hyperacusis, for me, occurred just as I had first acquired Tinnitus and I had two hellacious months of hearing ordinary sounds at certain frequencies (most heart-breakingly, my son's sweet voice) causing me tremendous pain and a static-like feeling across my brain. Sort of like a feedback loop. Mercifully, my H subsided around weeks 8-10 of my Tinnitus. I had periodic momentary flare-ups of H, but they were always short-lived (usually same day, never to return for months afterwards).

Reactive Tinnitus is something I have had for much of my adult life. You hear sounds, usually at high amplitudes, and Tinnitus explodes as a way of the brain's inability to process the signal correctly.

On a general note, tecent research suggests that delta waves erupt from a "perfect storm" that needs to exist in the brain in order for Tinnitus to happen -- whether constant, reactive, or fleeting varieties. That perfect storm requires:
      1. Hearing loss, including "undetectable" hearing loss
      2. Anxiety and/or stress to the emotional centers of the brain
      3. Trauma or taxing of the brain's memory centers
      So in most cases, the "root cause" of Tinnitus isn't so much the root cause -- it's the "straw that breaks the camel's back." But in almost all cases, addressing one of the three perfect storm components can help reduce the severity, frequency, and intensity of the underlying Tinnitus. I'm very encouraged by the brain-mapping exercises people are conducting to learn more about what it takes to get Tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I don't know why one person in particular spends so much time trying to say reactive tinnitus doesn't exist.

If the phenomenon is just a symptom of hyperacusis - it's still a discernible symptom from the pain response from sound that is not accompanied by hearing distortion in the form of ringing. Furthermore it can exist separate from a pain response.

What on earth is the issue with further categorizing symptoms? Yeah - it's something that came from conversation on forums. Tinnitus is a subjective disorder. Literally ALL of the symptoms come from trends determined from anecdotal patient reports.

I had it. Certain notes would make me hear feedback, like a mic was turned toward a speaker. It lasted a few months. Shit by any other name would smell as terrible. Stop arguing semantics and just talk to people about what they're struggling with.

• Agree Agree x 5
    14. RyanF347

RyanF347 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I have this where certain sounds leaves a whistling feedback. I had it before I had a H and I've had H without the feedback noise. Makes me believe they're not the same thing.

15. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      I agree. Furthermore, there is actually now a body of scientific evidence that shows delta waves in the brain erupt in different patterns based upon various tinnitus expressions (fleeting, constant, and reactive). These delta waves are completely independent from the electrical impulses the brain experiences during a hyperacusis reaction.

Even though Tinnitus is "subjective," and we as a civilization have virtually no understanding of how the brain actually functions, we are starting to at least observe certain patterns in response to this subjective stimulus. It exists.

• Like Like x 3
    16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      With all due respect @RyanF347 You are monitering every little change in your audiory system and worrying excessively. In doing so this causes stress. I and many others in this forum that are seasoned to tinnitus know what you're going through. Try to relax and focus on other things as this will take away the attention from the tinnitus. I assure you that you'll feel a whole lot better for doing it. :)

17. RyanF347

RyanF347 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      That is exactly what im doing, I dont plug my ears to monitor changes or stop myself going out etc but when you get a new tone thats unmaskable and can be heard over everything its hard not to. i was doing fine for the first 3 month's but not so much anymore.Its only getting worse for me eventhougj im doing everything i can to stop it.

18. RyanF347

RyanF347 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I look back at how low my t used to be at the start and wonder how i though it was so bad... its nothing compared to now

19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      As I've said @RyanF347 I have experienced what you have been through and please believe me a whole lot more. You are new to tinnitus. The auditory system can experience a lot of changes during the healing process and will take time to settle down. Just because you were making improvements, please don't think you have turned a corner and everything is plain sailing from now on. It just doesn't work like that. It is for this reason a mild antidepressant can help when the low times in tinnitus comes. An alternative to prescription antidepressant is St John's Wort. It is used to help cope with
      stress. These medications act as a safety net and helps stop a person from feeling too down. Have a word with your GP on how you feel.
      All the best
      Michael

20. RyanF347

RyanF347 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      it only gets worse due to noise exposure... car horns slammimg doors dropped glasses.. Whats the solutions? live in silence and wear ear defender's 24/7. i jus dont see a solution

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      You will have to give it time that is all I can say. I know the distress you're going through. Your are 3months in and therefore, in the early stages of tinnitus.
      Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

22. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      You're in Limbic hell. It will calm again.

3 months is nothing

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @RyanF347 I have helped counsel someone in this forum that was going through exactly what you are. This person has made huge improvements. This person believed he wouldn't get his life back but he has. Please read my post in my started threads: "From darkness into light". This story is true.
      Michael

24. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 3, 2015
      Hey! Man thanks for this info! I posted this thread a long time ago and my reactive T had gone away, with only my regular T staying. But it came back again a few months ago and I went back to anxiety and depression. But I'm doing better now. Still bothered by it, but I can get through the day I guess! :)
      I was wondering, do you yourself cope with you're reactive T? You said you've had it for most of your adult life right?

25. RyanF347

RyanF347 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      what caused it to come back for the second time? maybe it will go away like the first time. I had it for the first 2 weeks of onset then it went away and came back 6 weeks later after visiting a bar which went away after 3 weeks.. its now back after i was exposed to a drop smashed glass on ceramic, industrial drill and about 8 seconds of a hammer smashing steel. hopefully it goes away. Its so much worse than regular constant T which hardly bothered me. this is unmaskable and 10x louder. If it doesnt go away i dont know how I will cope...

26. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My ears react to some sounds.
      Eg I can have a fan on a low or medium setting and my ears are happy with that and if on high or tv on high or washer on or gas oven on full I know my ears won't be happy and soon let me know about it.
      I'm a quiet person and only keep my tv on low even though I can hear my ears but if hubby puts it on to loud my ears hurt and ramp up my tinnitus.
      Do I believe in reactive tinnitus YES!
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    27. fedup

fedup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection and earphone use
      Hi ,When i first got extremely loud tinnitus just over a year ago it was very reactive . It was so bad I wanted to die.
      Gradually it seemed to settle into 'normal' tinnitus and now today i have long periods where my T is almost gone . I do still have very loud days but things are improving all the time . Many days now i barely know that I have T So it can get better . I hope it does for you. I have a strong feeling mine was linked to my extremely high blood pressure . I also grind my teeth badly . Since I git on blood pressure meds my T is so much better.
      Good luck ,it can get better . Keep on keeping on .